Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2018, 01:52 PM   #1
Billhorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22177
Bedroom slide

We have a parked 2003 Montana 3670RL and it has been parked for over a year and the slides were probably never brought in. Last week I tried them to see if they would come in and they did. Today I tried to bring them in and the two big ones came in but the bedroom didn't. I read that I need to check the hydraulic fluid level but it says to check it with the slides in. If I push from the outside could I get the slide to go in? The bedroom slide acts like it will come in and then just stops and I can hear like a bumping noise from the pump running. Would the fact that the bedroom slide is higher than the others be an indication that the hydraulic fluid might be low?
Billhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:37 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
You might also check the auto-reset breaker that feeds the hydraulic pump. The cheap breakers tend to fail, and we had issues with ours connected to the system. On the newer rigs, the cable to the pump from the batteries is #4 strand copper and the remedy is replacing the 40 or 50 amp breaker with an 80 amp breaker. If you have already brought in a couple of slides, then there will be additional fluid in the reservoir. This photo is where the breakers are at on our rig, near the bottom of the photo, and the left one with the cable curving up to the pump motor is the one to check. They are covered with the red protectors. The second photo is what the breaker looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Montana hydraulics.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	2343  
Attached Images

rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:41 AM   #3
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I believe your slides are all hydraulic. The bedroom slide should open and close first since it is the lightest. Either something mechanical is preventing it from moving or there is a hydraulic issue. Bad cylinder/line leak etc. I would raise the bed and remove the plywood under there to expose the inner workings of the slide mechanism to see if you can find the issue. The steel is bolted to the exterior wall of the slide. Maybe it has pulled off and is no longer bolted to the wall. Its a pretty simple system with one set of square tubes that slide into a larger set of tubes. The tubes that are bolted to the wall, slide inside the tubes that are bolted to the bedroom floor.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:05 AM   #4
Billhorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22177
I only moved the slides once before and the bedroom slide was the first to come in. I can hear what sounds like the pump running when I press the switch after the two big slides are in. I sprayed slide lubricant on the two big exposed slides but of course I didnt spray the bedroom slide. I'll be by Monty again this weekend and will open up the bed and see what it looks like. Has anybody heard of the hydraulics pulling loose from the slide?
Old 09-18-2018, 01:56 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billhorn View Post
<snip>
....Has anybody heard of the hydraulics pulling loose from the slide?
</snip>
Yup. It is not a common occurrence, but it has happened in the past.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:12 PM   #6
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Yup, that is exactly what mine looks like. If you get a light and shine it in towards the slide exterior wall you will see where it is bolted to the wall. With the bed up and nothing in the way you will be able to move the slide in and out and see how it works.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:55 AM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Have heard of leaks, but never a line pulling out.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:41 PM   #8
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
This is what you should find under the bed. Pretty simple system, so if anything is amiss, you will notice it right away.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bed slide.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	2350  
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:32 AM   #9
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
This is what you should find under the bed. Pretty simple system, so if anything is amiss, you will notice it right away.

Wow if that is what is under the bed with the hydraulic slide, Im glad mine it cable electric as i have more storage.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:45 AM   #10
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Although none of the slide systems are perfect, the unit I have now is my 3rd one and all of the slides have been hydraulic. I have had no issues with any of them.

I have however read countless post on issues with cable slides. Broken cables/ frayed cables/ brackets pulling away from walls/ bad motors/ broken chains/ chains that jumped off the pulley/ bad gear boxes and the latest one is the best of all. On a lot of newer high country's, the gear boxes are leaking onto the slide roofs and eating the rubber roofs. The manufacture's fix is apparently to install drip pans under the gear boxes to catch the leaking grease and slap a half ass patch on the slide roofs. YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME !!!

With all that being said, I will keep my 4 all hydraulic slide unit. I want nothing to do with the other systems. IMHO they are junk
Old 09-28-2018, 09:17 AM   #11
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Every system has problems. Neighbor told me in an SOB had a hose blow out on his cylinder for the bedroom slide, Oil everywhere ruined the carpet and had to replace the whole bed frame. Need i say more. I think i will take a broken cable.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:59 AM   #12
Billhorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22177
Bedroom slide update

Took advice and removed the plywood under the mattress. It was obvious right away there was water getting under the Eternabond tape on the top outside edge of the slide. The tape was laying flat but could be picked up with a finger sliding under it. I didn't think I had to go around and try to lift up all the tape. I even paid for an exterior inspection and they said it all looked good. Anyway the water was trapped in the botton of the slide by a plastic sheet that is glued to the bottom. So the water rotted the wood in that area and the angle iron that attaches the hydraulic ram to the bottom of the slide ripped out. I can't see any way the seller would have been aware of this situation. Anyway with limited tools and supplies I patched it together as best as I could. The first picture is what I found when I first opened it up. The second picture is my mess after removing the rotton plywood. (I kinda put a couple of water escape holes in the plastic bottom.) The third picture is my replacement plywood with the angle iron bolted to it ready to go back into the slide bottom. The final picture is how I attached the new plywood to the wood side rails of the slide. All the bottom screws and lag bolts had to only be 3/4" so that they wouldn't go through the bottom. The slide seems to work. I did notice that the way they had it set up the slide was all the way in before the ram bottomed out by a couple of inches. So the bedroom slide had to keep pulling on the plywood attachment points while the other two bigger slides came in. I adjusted the ram so that it bottoms out when the slide is all the way in so that it won't be pulling on my repair any more than necessary. Check your tape my friends.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	First.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	367.6 KB
ID:	2396   Click image for larger version

Name:	second.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	737.8 KB
ID:	2397   Click image for larger version

Name:	third.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	709.7 KB
ID:	2398   Click image for larger version

Name:	final.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	670.1 KB
ID:	2399  
Old 09-25-2018, 12:16 PM   #13
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
That's exactly what I was afraid had happened. I had read about it somewhere.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:22 PM   #14
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Even with the tape issue you found, I would not think that water would have migrated down to the slide floor without doing serious wall damage. I suspect the bottom 4" outside trim and corner pieces are not sealed up properly. I would take off the 2 bottom corners and the bottom trim and reinstall making sure it is sealed up well.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:07 PM   #15
Billhorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22177
I'm new to this stuff so this might seem like a newbee question (because it is) What holds the corners and bottom trim? Is it exposed screws? After taking them off and cleaning everything up what would be the best way to seal them up? I truly appreciate the advice I get here. I gotta admit i envisioned this camper stuff as sitting under a shade tree with one of those fancy drinks with the little umbrella. Maybe someday.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:06 PM   #16
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Billhorn, The trim I am talking about is on the exterior of the bedroom slide (at the bottom). There is a square corner piece screwed on each side. The bottom trim piece goes from front to back and has 3 or so screws in the face of it and a bunch up from the bottom. What happens is water rolls down the face of the slide and penetrates between the bottom trim piece and the slide wall and gets trapped in there rotting the slide floor. These trim pieces need to be removed and caulked in place upon reinstallation.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:58 PM   #17
pauljbeaubien

M.O.C. #17649
Trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Billhorn, The trim I am talking about is on the exterior of the bedroom slide (at the bottom). There is a square corner piece screwed on each side. The bottom trim piece goes from front to back and has 3 or so screws in the face of it and a bunch up from the bottom. What happens is water rolls down the face of the slide and penetrates between the bottom trim piece and the slide wall and gets trapped in there rotting the slide floor. These trim pieces need to be removed and caulked in place upon reinstallation.
I had a similar issue with my bedroom bottom slide trim. Exterior caulking had failed and allowed water to collect on the bottom edge of the plywood siding. Using wood petrifier to solidify the rotton edge. Also the extrabond tape used on the slide roof still had plastic attached to parts of the tape and this created a roof leak. Factory or dealer had placed a substantial amount of caulking to resolve the issue in the past.
pauljbeaubien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:29 AM   #18
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
If the 4" exterior trim is not sealed up it would make any difference as to weather the slide was in or out. Water will still get in and cause the floor to rot.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:02 PM   #19
kbabb72
Established Member

M.O.C. #5794
Send a message via AIM to kbabb72 Send a message via MSN to kbabb72
That is what happened to us! We have to repl plywood. What a mess.
kbabb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:44 AM   #20
Billhorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22177
I will check out the trim pieces the next time I can get out to where she is parked. All that stuff looked to be tight and sealed but now that I know what to look for I'll take another educated look. Does anybody think the moisture could be from condensation. That outside bedroom slide wall is at the high point of the camper. The way it is designed a drop of water that somehow got between the wall layers would go to the bottom and be trapped. All the water damage is concentrated along the outside wall line. The bottom of the slide is a piece of 3/4" plywood with a decorative plastic sheet glued to the bottom of the plywood sealing off any escape route for any moisture.