Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2006, 08:12 PM   #1
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Exhaust Brakes

We are new to RVing. We have never pulled a trailer before. We just got a 2006 Silverado 3500 4WD, Ext Cab, Long Bed, Duramax Diesel/Allison 6 Spd Auto Transmission with Tow/Haul. We have a 2007 Montana 3650RK 5th Wheel. It weighs about 14,500 lbs loaded.

My question is - Do I need an Exhaust Brake with the above truck with Tow/Haul.

So far I have only pulled the 5th wheel home from the dealer (about 30 miles away)

I would appreciate any comments, especially from those with the above truck

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:25 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Don,

Welcome to the MOC!!!
I can only speak from my experience with my Duramax and Allison. My experience tells me the answer to your question is, no you do not need an exhaust brake. The Duramax and Allison has built in grade braking which will allow you to use the motor to slow you down. And now on the 06 and 07 GM's you get "manual mode" shifting, which will allow you to select the proper gear right on your gear shifter. My coach loaded is around 13,600 lbs and a CGVWR of a tad shy of 21,300 lbs. I have towed many mountain pass' and so far, I have found the trick is to start to downward side at a nice slow speed and in a lower gear. If you plan ahead for the grade down, the Duramax and Allison will do all the work for you. Enjoy your new Silverado and Montana.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 11:45 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
My 05 GMC with the Duramax/Allison does not need an exhaust brake and I seriously doubt that your 06 would need one. Follow Montana Sky's directions above and you will not have any problems.
My first Duramax/Allison was an 03 Silverado. At the big RV show in Harrisburg in Sept 03 I spoke to the Banks Factory Rep about their after market Exhaust System and he said it was not needed with the D/A combo.

Now I will point out that this question usually gets many pro/con responses. Those that have the exhaust brake swear by it and those that don't feel they don't need it. My life experiences have taught me that when a Manufacturer's Rep says I don't need it I tend to believe him. After all I would consider him the knowledgeable one and it was the perfect opportunity to sell me his product but he chose the more honest response.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 08:47 AM   #4
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Montana Sky and Glenn & Lorraine thanks for your response. That was the response I was hoping for. I kind of thought that I didn't need one after reading the owners manual, but you never know.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:11 PM   #5
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
We have the Duramax/Allison combo, and have an exhaust brake. My diesel guy said that I didn't absolutely have to have one, that the Duramax combo would more than likely be fine. One of the reasons I put it on was to save brakes, The other was to keep revs low as possible going down grade, thereby keeping temps lower, Although I have never experience any hi temps. I asked aobut exhaust, and chips, and other "upgrades/addons" and he said to forget it. The stock exhaust flows plenty of air out of the system, and the stock intake is more that adequate for power production. The stock air filter actually flows mor air that the K&N. I am very happy with the truck (2500 hd) and am planning no other changes except Bilstein shocks in aobut 5000 miles.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:12 PM   #6
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Hi Don & Annie, & welcome to the forum.
Your question reminds me that I still don't know if an exhaust brake would help me or not. My tow vehicle is an '03 GMC Duramx diesel with 5 speed transmission. We first towed a 2950 RK Montana & now tow a larger 3295RK. With both rigs I experienced a steady acceleration when going down steep grades, & when I brake the transmission downshifts as designed, but usually the rpm 's are quite high and then begin increasing as we progress down the hill. The holding back ability of the diesel just doesn't seem to hold back on the steeper grades. I dont feel I wait until speed is too much (usually somewhere in the 55mph range) before beginning to brake. The problem is that even then the vehicle continues to pick up speed downhill with a resultant increasing rpm's going up into the red. To solve the problem I found that by clicking out of the "Tow/Haul" mode and then braking down to around 50 or less before going back into Tow/Haul places the rpm's at a more reasonable rate. I still continue to accelerate and have to repeat this process if the grade is very long. In June we came down Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado, a 7% grade for nine miles, and I had to slow it way down every time we got up to about 35 mph because we were in the lower gears and the rpm's & speed kept increasing. Our travel companion was driving a big block 2000 year Ford diesel with a lighter 5th wheel, and no comparable Allison-type transmission, and he reported having no problems with increasing speed/rpm's. So far my experience has not convinced me that I would do better with an exhaust brake, but for now I will leave everything stock and just keep it slow and continue to manage speed/rpm as I've been doing. As said above, plan ahead & slow down going over the crest & there shouldn't be a problem.
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 08:23 AM   #7
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
No, you won't need an exhaust brake for your '06 D/A in tow-haul mode. Have gone down 12-16% downgrades. Our 5W weighs in at 13,800. Be prepared for some high RPMs to keep the speed down. While you can use the manual mode, the Allison does a great job all by itself. If you are starting to speed up going downhil, just stab the brakes and the Allison will downshift to hold the desired speed. The reason why we now have a D/A is that the "Smart Lock" on our Banks exhaust brake locked up at the wrong time and destroyed the tranny on our '99 F-350. I wouldn't buy a Banks or a BD based on our experiences over the years.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 01:52 PM   #8
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Rickety, Ronnilu and Mobilrvn - thanks for your responses and tips. I think I will just drive it awhile and see how she rides along and slows down.

Next weekend is our maiden voyage. Not going very far, just about 30 miles over to Blackwell Island RV Park CdA,ID.

Thanks again for your input.