Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2007, 12:01 PM   #1
mrosser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1423
Monty home from the Hospital

Got the Monty out of the shop today, they did a great job fixing the hole I put in the front cap. Can't even tell where it was.

I let them repack the bearings & ck the brakes while it was there. Is it normal to have to readjust the brake controller after this service? After I hooked up I hit the brake controller by hand and continued to roll across the parking lot. Did not think the brakes were working at first.

Glad to have the Monty back home, now we need to see when we can hit the road again.

mrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:07 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Mark,

Glad you got your baby back looking like new! I honestly didn't know they could fix the cap - thought it was a replacement thing.

It should be normal to have to readjust the controller (I have to after manually adjusting brakes); however I would have thought yours would have reacted the other way (locked up the brakes). Typically after I adjust mine, I have to back off the controller as the stroke required by the magnet to move the shoe is much shorter.

Assume after you adjusted the controller, you got brakes back? If not, something is wrong.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I assume what they did was to check the brakes and drums when they repacked the wheels and did not adjust the brakes after the job was complete. You should not have to adjust the brake controller if done properly.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:41 PM   #4
mrosser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1423
Brad, I do have brakes after adjusting controler, just took a lot of adjusting.
They can fix the cap, 2" x 2" hole about $400, I tried to get wife to go look at new Monty's before we fixed this one, but she flat out told me "NO". Daughter getting married in December 07, she said we could look after that.
mrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:54 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
hahahaha - I hear ya Mark! Dory told me NO too. I tricked her into looking at one while we were out helping my daughter shop for a small trailer. It was snowing and they had the fireplace on in a 3650, which did the trick. She looked around at all the nice new stuff and said OK!

Good news they can actually fix the cap! I imagine a new one is around $1,500. Of course now that I say that I'll probably hit mine this weekend.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote