Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2006, 05:54 AM   #1
Diamond
Established Member

M.O.C. #715
Water Heater Problem

In our 3295RK Big Sky we have the direct spark ignition model SW10DE and the water just is not getting hot (works great with gas). I just changed out the anode and cleaned the tank and the results are the same. Sounds like it could be the heating element??? If so, is it easy to repair. Looks like you just remove the cover and replace the element. Could this be the problem and if so is the element easy to replace and do you need to drain the tank again, turn off gas and power??

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 07:36 AM   #2
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hi Diamond, Mine has the same water heater. I just checked and would suggest you check the current draw and the voltage across the element connections. If voltage across the connections is 120vac then there should be current flow...according to the suburban website its a 1440watt element and draws 6.0amps. Regarding your other questions, is it easy, not sure would think its not difficult, and yes you have to drain it as the element sits in the water next to the drain plug. Be sure you turn off the power and disable the gas from trying to start up. If your not handy with this stuff, get someone experienced to perform the task.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:52 AM   #3
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Hey Diamond, if it is the element, they are easy to replace. You can easily do it yourself. Turn off the gas and power, drain the water, remove element cover. The element just unscrews like the anode rod. Just make sure you fill the water heater before swithing on the new elec. element. If you don't, you will fry it in a second....don't ask how I know......
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 11:15 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
To the left side on the heater is two black rubber caps. They cover reset buttons. I would try pushing them one time and try a reset. If the electric heat does not work after that then you check the heating element. It requires a 1 and 1/4 inch socket I think. Mine on our 02 3295 unscrewed. It is larger than the drain plug. There are two wires on the heating element.
With a volt meter you can check for 120 VAC. If you have voltage then disconnect both wires and check the two screws for continuity. If it reads a short the element should be good.
I did have to loosen the propane gas feed to the heater to remove the electrical element. Be careful.
Good luck and Merry Christmas.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 12:25 PM   #5
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
So far no one has mentioned that there is a switch outside on the hot water heater. I assume you have it in the on position. Again, make sure the tank is full of water.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 12:40 PM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122

At the Fall Rally in Goshen, the Suburban rep. mentioned that there is a better element available than the one they supply to the OEMs. It is the same wattage, but a longer element so that the watt density is lower. These elements should last longer, and can survive short periods of dry operation. Of course they cost more!

Otherwise, I'm in agreement with what everyone else has stated.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 12:40 PM   #7
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Ahhhh! Charlie....u r da man. Simple one first, and like I looked at mine with its clip installed to prevent accidentially turning it on. Yeah, Diamond, what Charlie says!
Chuck
Old 12-22-2006, 12:47 PM   #8
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
And, also because I didn't see it mentioned, there is also the circuit breaker for the electrical part of the water heater to be checked. Make sure it is not tripped..
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:30 PM   #9
Diamond
Established Member

M.O.C. #715
Thanks for the reply. Also, we were at the rally and do remember them talking about it. Do you recall how you can get one? Do you need to order from Surburan?

Old 12-22-2006, 01:51 PM   #10
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
As mentioned previously looks simple and cheap fix if your sure its ng. I would expect any RV parts department would have them or be able to order. Googled it and here's a place...not suggesting they are reputiable -> http://www.marksrv.com/swwaterheater.htm
Should be one of these two types...
Old 12-22-2006, 02:33 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jack and Ruth, haven't seen you on here in awhile. Good to see you're back. At the risk of stating the obvious that you probably know, but just in case... there is a breaker dedicated to the electric element of the water heater on the electrical panel inside the coach.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:30 PM   #12
Diamond
Established Member

M.O.C. #715
Got a replacement element, but had trouble finding the correct size socket to remove old one. I persevered and FYI - Go to hardware store and get a sheet metal socket (large enough with thin enough shaft to get into opening) for a cost of about $6.00. Works like a charm. Unfortunately, replacing the element did NOT fix my water heater problem. The switch is one, circuit breakers okay, any other suggestions?
Old 01-02-2007, 03:32 PM   #13
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Jack, Your gonna need a voltmeter. Check the voltage to each side of the element to ground this should show one of them at 120vac...
Chuck