Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2006, 07:46 PM   #1
TMF

M.O.C. #6118
Winterize Montana

When I picked up my Montana the guy told me how to winterize the Montana. Of course that was months and months ago. Does anybody have a good list or instructions on how to winterize a Montana?

TMF

TMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:48 AM   #2
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
Check out the following sites

The only things missing are that there is a pressure release button behind the screen on the city water inlet you need to push (you will get a little wet) and
I have a quickie flush on my black tank and I blow the water out of it.
I usually just put the anitfreeze in without blowing out the lines and have had no issues but thats a personal call

http://www.rvsecrets.com/winterize.htm
http://www.2rvguys.com/winterize.html
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:39 AM   #3
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
What do you recommend if you have a washer? As I recall, I'm to add a gallon of antifreeze to the drum, to the lines and then run the washer for a few minutes (do not let it drain) but it needs to add water to pull antifreeze in thru the hoses and valves and put into the pump and internals. Does this sound correct?
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:32 PM   #4
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
There has been several replys to winterization of the Montanas. This iswhat I do and it is probably an overkill, but I have never had a problemby doing it this way. First I switch over the hotwater tank and open the drain bolt on the tank. Secondly, I blow out the lines with my compressor. Then using 6 gal of antifreeze, I start with the washer/dryer and set the setting on warm. that way the pump pumps antifreeze thru both lines into the washer. Then when I can see the pink antifreeze in the washer, I switch it over to drain so the antifreeze goes thru the plastic pump and into the drain line to the tank. Now I am ready to winterize the rest of the trailer. I start from the furtherest sink or shower. I run the antifreeze in both the cold and hot lines. I move to the shower, and then to the toilet, and finally to the sink in the kitchen. I then go outside and do the same thing to the outside shower. With that all done, I pour a cup in each drain. Finally, I pour a gal into the fresh water tank. By letting a little antifreeze go into my black water tank and both gray water tanks when I am running the faucets. I then kick the tires until we go to Florida in January to finish out the rest of the winter. When were out of the freezing weather, I drain all of the tanks, switch over the hotwater tank, and flush out the water tank with a little bleach to kill any germs before I use it. I know it a lot more than some do, but to me its a lot cheaper than replacing water lines. I have had one freeze up on an older trailer one time.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:53 PM   #5
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I have the splendide 2001 model washer/dryer.from thier web site for winterizing it says to pour about 1/2 quart of antifreeze in the drum.turn the knob to the spin cycle-push the on button.let it run for a minute or 2.turn off the washer/dryer.Disconnect the hoses and drain out any remamining water.This is the procedure i followed last winter and all is well.I guess their are differnt ways to do it but this was what I did.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:56 PM   #6
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dbrill

Check out the following sites

The only things missing are that there is a pressure release button behind the screen on the city water inlet you need to push (you will get a little wet) and
I have a quickie flush on my black tank and I blow the water out of it.
I usually just put the anitfreeze in without blowing out the lines and have had no issues but thats a personal call

http://www.rvsecrets.com/winterize.htm
http://www.2rvguys.com/winterize.html
If you blow out your lines you do not have to deal with the valve on the city water inlet been doing this for over 20 Years with no problem
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 07:24 AM   #7
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Question on the city water inlet check valve. I didn't do that portion last year and I read about it this year so I thought I'd try it but I think I broke the check valve. It doesn't hold back now, as long as the pump is on water is "reversed" through the city inlet. Is it just a matter of next spring when I hook it up to city water the valve will be ok, or did I break something.

Tell me it's ok.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 02:36 AM   #8
RnR
Established Member

M.O.C. #161
Remember this!!!!!!
Before depressing the white city water inlet check valve you have to make certain the water pressure has been released. Simply go back inside the trailer and open up a cold water faucet, this will release the water pressure and prevent the check valve from "exploding".
Garry
(RnR)

RnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 05:49 PM   #9
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Gary,

My trailer is in storage and not at the house. So are you saying that I haven't "broken" anything? If I open the cold faucet it will take the pressure back off the check valve and everything will be ok??

Let me know, please.

Thanks,

mac
Old 10-01-2006, 07:46 PM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Mac,
I think he means you broke it. Evidently you need to release pressure first. I would try hooking up the city water in the spring and work the valve back and forth between the city water pressure and pump pressure to see if you can get it to seat again.

I've never drained the city connect - didn't know you could. I was about to try it but I broke my key in the door. Guess its a good thing. I'll have to remember to bleed off the pressure.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:31 AM   #11
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Brad,

I've never drained that either and in all my years never had a problem but I heard it could happen so I thought maybe I should. So I ended up causing myself additional problems and expenses anyway.

mac
Old 10-02-2006, 08:48 AM   #12
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
If you blow out your lines you do not have to deal with that check valve.Never have in over 20 Years
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:11 PM   #13
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Question...why worry about blowing out the lines if you are going to run anti-freeze into them anyway? The anti-freeze will be everywhere the water is except the check valve for the city water input line. Help me understand this a little better.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:06 PM   #14
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
Mike,

I believe blowing out the line ensures that no water will be left in "pockets" in the hose. If the lines have 100% antifreeze put in them, then it wouldn't matter.
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 01:08 PM   #15
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Mike, I just returned from my dealer. I dropped the Monty off for some minor warranty stuff that we have been saving all summer and he was in the process of winterizing units on his lot. We were talking about this same subject and all he is doing is pumping the pink stuff through the system. He doesn't blow the lines - his reply - "what do you think the antifreeze in for?"
Make sure each faucet has pink stuff running, outside shower, even the low water drain, then add a little to the fresh water and Black and grey tanks. Allow plenty to run though the faucets to allow pink stuff in the traps. "Pink Stuff cheap - broken lines - expensive."
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 01:16 PM   #16
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Think it ends up being personal choice, whether to blow out lines or just pink em.

Many moons ago, when we had pressurized steel (or some metal) tanks, then it was blow out the lines, and it worked, well, most of the time, you still heard of people that had broken/frozen/expensive to fix water lines come spring.

Since the metal tanks left the RV industry and plastic ones arrived, Al and I have been using the pink, making sure all faucets run pink, add pink to the traps and toilet.

Last thing he does when he is in the process and all lines are full, etc, he turns off the pump, releases the pressure in lines by opening the faucets, and then goes out and pushes on that little valve.

Has worked well for us, and that is what counts, eh??
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 02:14 PM   #17
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
As noted above, you do one method or the other not both. The only exception being if you choose the blowout method, some pink stuff still must be dumped in all the water appliances that have the traps...because they will still have water in them, the air does not go there.

Dealers like the pink stuff...they buy quantity and charge the RVer more than they pay, thus generating a bit of extra revenue. They can't charge for air.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 02:27 PM   #18
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Cat,

Maybe they'll start blowing them out with Nitrogen.

So to get back to my problem...... am I going to have to replace that city water inlet next spring???

mac
Old 10-03-2006, 02:37 PM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We use the pink stuff..We always overdo it and add more than is necessary but it is a low cost insurance policy.Tell you the truth don't think I would want to put to much pressure in the lines and tanks..might do more damage than the freezing.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 02:55 PM   #20
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Mac,

As insurance, think we would have a spare valve in our hands before adding water in the spring. If ya get lucky, you won't need it, but if you don't have one in hand, Murphy will strike, you can be sure of that!

Carol
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote