Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2023, 03:19 PM   #1
tjswis

M.O.C. #32643
2022 High Country 295RL - Fresh Water Tank Fill

We are about to go dry camping for the first time with this new unit. I've always had gravity fill fresh water but this one has a Pressure Water Fill where I need to attach a hose to fill the tank. Question... is there an overflow hose or vent? From reading chapter 10 of the owners manual it says DO NOT overfill but nothing about an overflow.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

tjswis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 03:29 PM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Yes, you connect a hose from the faucet to the "City Water" port. Then turn the valve to "FILL".
It will take about 40 gallons. When full it will overflow out the vent at the back drivers side.
Once full turn the valve back to "NORMAL FLOW". If you don't you water pump will cycle about every minute or so.
Be aware, water is HEAVY!!!
A full water tank puts over 320lbs behind yor axles. This can be felt when driving over rough roads (porpoising).
Also it has been reported the water sloshes out the vent (centrifugal force) when making right turns or going around a right hand clover leaf. Some have reported arriving only1/3 full after starting with a full tank.
Some have put an expanding boat plug in the vent hole AFTER filling to prevent loss of water.
Note: Don't put the plug in before filling. The air will have no where to go and your tank will explode when filling.
Also remember to remove the plug when you arrive so air can get back in when you run your pump.

Don't forget to sanitize your tank first. Lots of info on that. Do a search. For us it takes about 3 tank fulls of water to rinse out the bleach smell.
There is a freshwater tank drain plug under your rig at the back.

Filling freshwater tank using winterizing port.

Take 5 gal bucket of freshwater. Connect a pickup hose to the winterizing port (sometimes you have to use 2 washers to make a good seal). Put the open end into the bucket of water. The bucket must be level to or higher than the winterizing port. Turn winterize valve to "ON". Connect the outdoor shower hose to city water connection. Turn "Normal flow/Fill" valve to "Fill". Turn water pump on and open cold water side of shower. Water will draw from 5 gal jug go thru shower hose into city water connection right into the freshwater tank.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 03:32 PM   #3
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
First welcome to the MOC. As far as an overflow, yes they have one. Now where is it? It's suppose to be on the rear drivers side skirting. But if it's like mine and they neglected to install it, you will have water pouring out of the belly on the ground when full. I made the dealership run the overflow out of the bottom of the coorplast.
Old 06-15-2023, 08:23 AM   #4
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Hopefully you won't have the same hidden overflow issue Tony had. Yours should looked something similar to the attached photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230615_072747.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	372.5 KB
ID:	14766   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230615_072723.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	558.2 KB
ID:	14767  
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 11:28 AM   #5
182flyer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30432
Our 2022 295RL vent hose comes out the top outboard (drivers side) end of the tank through a hole in the frame with an approx (didn't measure) 1"X10" long hose that isn't attached to anything (just hanging) and has the same round (vent cap) end as Lee-Ci show in the pic. Vent cap not attached-just hanging. Now I have another "to do" thing; install some tape or padding so vent tube does not get a hole rubbed through rubbing on the frame and secure vent cap somehow.
182flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 11:34 AM   #6
182flyer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30432
Daryles: my fresh water tank ALSO starts overflowing around 40+ gallons even though specs show 80+ gallons.
Old 06-15-2023, 01:07 PM   #7
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Quote:
Originally Posted by 182flyer View Post
Daryles: my fresh water tank ALSO starts overflowing around 40+ gallons even though specs show 80+ gallons.
Curious if the gauge reads full at that point. I wonder if somehow the overflow gets a siphon going….Lee’s photo above shows the vent very low on the trailer. Mine is much higher up.
Either that or the vent is not at the top of the tank and once the water reaches it and the tank can’t vent air out, it just blows water out the vent.
MandK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 03:22 PM   #8
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by 182flyer View Post
Our 2022 295RL vent hose comes out the top outboard (drivers side) end of the tank through a hole in the frame with an approx (didn't measure) 1"X10" long hose that isn't attached to anything (just hanging) and has the same round (vent cap) end as Lee-Ci show in the pic. Vent cap not attached-just hanging. Now I have another "to do" thing; install some tape or padding so vent tube does not get a hole rubbed through rubbing on the frame and secure vent cap somehow.
Mine was installed the same way. It was probably due to a parts shortage. As I stated I had the dealer plum it out the bottom of the trailer. I've never gauged how much water the tank actually holds but now I might. I haven't ever run out of fresh water.
Old 06-15-2023, 08:12 PM   #9
182flyer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30432
Drained our fresh water tank completely and refilled using a reasonably accurate in-line flow gauge (calibrated with 5 gal bucket +/- .07 gal/5 gal bucket)= 63 gallons and water started coming out vent. Water continued coming out vent slowly for approx another 5 gallons. Convenience Center gauges: fresh water empty when empty and empty when full. One hour later fresh water reads full when full- about as accurate as the rest of the gauges.... Maybe fresh tank is indeed 80+ gals but vent is located too low-don't have clue and that's close enough for my minimal boondocking.
Old 06-16-2023, 07:55 AM   #10
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Generally the Fresh Water capacity also includes the 12 Gal Hot Water. So 63 + 12 = 75, pretty close to 80.
Old 06-16-2023, 08:54 AM   #11
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
tjswis, the only way to know when the fresh water tank is completely full is when it spews out the over flow.

Fresh water tank sensors will work much better and much longer than the grey and black tank sensors.

Pick up a water meter so you can really tell how much you are "really" adding to the fresh water tank. This may surprise you. Plus, it let you know how much water is in your holding tanks, divided 3 ways (if you have 3 tanks). That's how I can usually determine how much is in my tanks when I dump into my Barker Blue Tote. I know my tote holds 32 gallons of water. I fill my fresh water tank first. If it takes more than 32 gallons to fill it, I know I have more than 32 gallons in all 3 of my tanks. So, I'm more careful when dumping. I'll do the black first, use the grey to back flush into the black to help clean it out, and if the fill is more than 32 gallons, I know I'll need to make 2 runs to the dump station. I'll do bathroom first run, kitchen second run. I haven't had an overflow in the tote in years since I got the meter.

We camp at electric only campsites. So, most of the time, I have to refill my fresh water tank. I purchased a 32 gallon tank from Tractor Supply Company (TSC) and a water transfer pump. I have an inverter in my truck to run off my truck battery in the event we don't have electricity. I've been doing it this way for over 20 years.

There are some issues using the winterizing process as mentioned above. To get around that, I find this much easer.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 09:55 AM   #12
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Generally the Fresh Water capacity also includes the 12 Gal Hot Water. So 63 + 12 = 75, pretty close to 80.
Excellent point Michelle & Ann. Wish I had thought to bring that one up
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 03:02 PM   #13
Rod Spohn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24052
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
tjswis, the only way to know when the fresh water tank is completely full is when it spews out the over flow.

Fresh water tank sensors will work much better and much longer than the grey and black tank sensors.

Pick up a water meter so you can really tell how much you are "really" adding to the fresh water tank. This may surprise you. Plus, it let you know how much water is in your holding tanks, divided 3 ways (if you have 3 tanks). That's how I can usually determine how much is in my tanks when I dump into my Barker Blue Tote. I know my tote holds 32 gallons of water. I fill my fresh water tank first. If it takes more than 32 gallons to fill it, I know I have more than 32 gallons in all 3 of my tanks. So, I'm more careful when dumping. I'll do the black first, use the grey to back flush into the black to help clean it out, and if the fill is more than 32 gallons, I know I'll need to make 2 runs to the dump station. I'll do bathroom first run, kitchen second run. I haven't had an overflow in the tote in years since I got the meter.

We camp at electric only campsites. So, most of the time, I have to refill my fresh water tank. I purchased a 32 gallon tank from Tractor Supply Company (TSC) and a water transfer pump. I have an inverter in my truck to run off my truck battery in the event we don't have electricity. I've been doing it this way for over 20 years.

There are some issues using the winterizing process as mentioned above. To get around that, I find this much easer.

I have about the same setup except I use a 50 gallon bladder. It’s a life saver for boondocking. With the need for water pressure to fill the tank it’s a must. Plus it sure beats lifting water jugs like I’ve done in the past.
Rod Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 03:48 PM   #14
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
I never travel on the road with more than 15 gallons in my fresh tank. Why spend the gas on hauling all that water around? (60 gal is 480+ pounds) I have a good filtration system so as long as the water is fit to drink I don’t have to worry about water quality/taste. I usually drink bottled water anyway and we buy gallon’s for the coffee maker. I don’t boodock much so I usually have full hook ups. If the park has low water pressure I’ll fill my fresh tank and use my pump when I need pressure. I do keep my system sanitized so in a pinch I'm not afraid to use it for drinking water if need be. Boondocking makes water more critical as far as conservation, and water quality..
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 05:08 PM   #15
Brian S
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27692
I have the same unit and mine is under the kitchen slide
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	86E0DECB-2432-416C-A2A1-B11DDE3421AF.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	14779