Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #1
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Pocket Door Between Kitchen & Bedroom Crooked

On my new 3400 RL, this pocket door is hanging a bit off plumb. When closed, there is a visible gab at the bottom while it is tight at the top.
Before I bother taking it to the dealer for such an issue and start a warranty claim, has anyone adjusted that door before? I would think there is a rather easy adjustment somewhere on the hanger assembly, but I have no idea how to access it. Thanks
On a side note...By accident I posted this same question under "Additions and Improvements" and it doesn't belong there. How do I delete it?

Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Mark, Wish I could tell you how to do it...but I have the same issue on my 3800RE on the door between the bath and bedroom. From the bedroom side of the door when the door is mostly closed IF you look up into the track with a flashlight you will see two plastic fittings that carry the door in the pocket door track. My GUESS is that these might have something to do with it, but not wanting to risk breaking it I have just put it on my list of things to find out about. John
Old 04-05-2014, 11:11 AM   #3
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
On my door when closed it sticks out at the bottom about 2 inches and when pulled shut to close off it seals against door frame. Impossible to get to as it is between shower and back of TV compartment.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:54 PM   #4
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
It has been awhile since I fixed the door on ours. There should be a board over the track. I think it will come off or tilt out then adjust the rollers.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:17 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Like hookman, it has been a while since I adjusted that door. I know I got to it from the bedroom side. I don't recall removing the horizontal trim. I think I was able to adjust the height without removing any trim.

P.S. You can delete almost any posting you have made. When you bring up a topic and you see your posting, there is a little icon near the top that looks like a piece of paper and a trash can. It usually is the 6th icon and hovering the mouse over it causes a popup saying "Delete Reply". Click on the icon and the post is deleted (with a confirmation message first). The only exception to deletion is when your posting is the first and others have replied. Then you can't delete your original post. I suspect it is because that effectively deletes the whole topic which includes any posts made by others.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:19 PM   #6
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigred715

On my door when closed it sticks out at the bottom about 2 inches and when pulled shut to close off it seals against door frame. Impossible to get to as it is between shower and back of TV compartment.
It sounds like you have the same problem I had with my pocket door in my 3402RL. There is no way you can adjust a 2" gap, that is not the problem. What happened to mine was the screw holding the track in place way back in between the shower and in our case the Pantry cabinets fell out completely. This allows the rear of the door to drop causing the gap. The door on ours dropped down so far I had to take the facial board off the kitchen side and remove the door. It was fixed under warranty and the dealer used a very long extension to replace the missing screw. Hopefully they put in a couple more back there. I did beef up the part above the door opening and that will never be a problem again. You should be able to have the door in the position that closes the opening and see back in there for the track having dropped down.

Mark N. To adjust the door there is a nut just below the door hanger, that is the adjustment and perhaps with a special wrench you could do it without taking the facial board off. The white plastic piece just above the door looks like it might be able to be removed and that may be how they are adjusted, hate to mess with mine now to test my theory... I would be taking it back to the dealer if it is still under warranty.

Just some more indication of not doing a proper job during build.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:18 AM   #7
PatnRich
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1250
A while back my pocket door was hanging out of plumb when open and when closed fit against the wall. This meant the track screws had pulled free.
In order to reattach the track to the header I had to open the back pantry wall.
PatnRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:25 AM   #8
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Our pocket door between bath and bed room is out of square. When door closes at bottom there is 3/16" gap at top. I have done some checking with square and what is out is the jam. The door is square to track at top but out of square with door jam. To make it close tight with jam the door will have to be out of square with track. To adjust, remove screws holding track and remove door and track. Adjust the roller on top of door and then reinstall.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:37 AM   #9
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
My track is secure at the top all the way in the pocket. But my door, beside not hanging level, also does not enter the jam when closing unless you push sideways on the back of the door. You can see that the door moves at least a quarter of an inch at the front when this is done. And the facial boards on each side are brad nailed into place with the bedroom side looking like it is into the pocket area. Bath side looks like the side to open after removing a small piece of trim molding at the top of the pocket. Bummer, was hoping that someone out there had a magic wand or know of an incantation to be used to fix the issue. I KNOW the incantation to be used when you uncover the various issues that weren't done right at the factory! Thanks for all the great inputs on this topic. After I tackle the issue, I will follow up with a post and pics so that others can see of what we speak. John
Old 04-06-2014, 08:14 AM   #10
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Well, I can see now this is going back to the dealer for adjustment. I was hoping it would be an easy twist of this screw or that one, or something simple like that. Oh well, as big of a pain as hitching up and driving to the dealer with my trailer might be, it's the lesser of 2 evils I suppose.
It's too bad the workers and quality inspectors at Keystone aren't doing their money's worth. It's a pain in the butt for everyone when it could have just been done correctly in the first place.
Another issue they will fix at the same time is my rear pleated shade: It is crooked in the window by a full 2 inches of tilt from one side to another. Just one more example of people at the factory not doing what they were hired to do.
These are the kinds of things that new buyers like myself just don't catch in the delivery walk through.
Next time, with whatever I buy, I will take delivery then spend 3 or 4 days "camping" right in their lot to meticulously go through each and every item
Old 04-06-2014, 10:11 AM   #11
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
On my 3150RL I have the option of it being square open or closed. Not both. From the bedroom side look at the top of the door up in the slot. You will find a plastic hook thingy that goes around the bolt that attaches to the trolly wheels. Unhook the plastic thingy using a long screwdriver, holding up on the door the bolt will slide sideways allowing the door to drop free. Repeat with other trolly wheel set. Now the door is free to be removed. You can now adjust the length of the bolts from the trolly wheels which squares the door in the opening.

When my pocket door is open it is square with the vertical part of the pocket frame. When it is shut it has a gap of 1/2" or more at the bottom.

After you remove it once, you will probably be so pi**ed you even messed with it you will not care if it shuts squarely.

Look at the trolly wheels on the front closet, mine uses the same system on both the pocket door and the 4 closet doors. Late production units have a different set of trolly wheels in the bedroom than mine does. Mine was made 4/9/14

Been there, done that.

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:23 PM   #12
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
ummmm...I think I may just let this one remain on my list until it breaks, then I will utter that incantation and try to fix it. Thanks for listing what you did to be able to remove the door jlb27537. At least now I am an informed person when I venture into door repairman. John
Old 04-06-2014, 05:54 PM   #13
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
The pleated blind can be straightened by just grabbing one end and raise or lower it, depending on which way it needs to go to be square.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #14
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rohrmann

The pleated blind can be straightened by just grabbing one end and raise or lower it, depending on which way it needs to go to be square.
Hmmm...I think this one is messed up though. The bar across the bottom is straight, but the pleated material itself is really crooked. If I try lifting one end or the other as you mentioned, it does nothing. I'm just going to have the dealer deal with it when I take it in for whatever I take it in next for.
But, thanks for the suggestion!
Old 04-21-2014, 03:37 AM   #15
chapman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10801
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mark N.

On my new 3400 RL, this pocket door is hanging a bit off plumb. When closed, there is a visible gab at the bottom while it is tight at the top.
Before I bother taking it to the dealer for such an issue and start a warranty claim, has anyone adjusted that door before? I would think there is a rather easy adjustment somewhere on the hanger assembly, but I have no idea how to access it. Thanks
On a side note...By accident I posted this same question under "Additions and Improvements" and it doesn't belong there. How do I delete it?
chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:17 AM   #16
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
We had 2 pocket doors on my old SOB that both came loose from the ceiling. On it I bought those old door wedges that are made to keep doors open and wedged them under the door to hold it up and keep if from bouncing around. On the Montana the door hangs over the steps so I made a prop out of 1x4 to wedge under the door to keep it from bouncing and flopping around. So far so good, no loose doors lately.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:27 AM   #17
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I adjusted mine be taking a cheap open end wench bending the end 90 degrees. It will fit up above the door where the adjustments are. It is quite easy, just have patience.
On our trip to the desert in January I notice it was WAY out of adjustment and I thought the adjuster had come clear loose. But upon closer examination I noticed end of the track behind the pantry had come loose from the upper mounting bracket.
Here is how I was able to repair it.
1.Empty the pantry, you need room
2.remove the upper trim from the top of the pantry
3.remove screws holding the top of the pantry which gives you access to the problem
4.then I carefully marked where that top met the wall, then trimmed the the wall down to 1/2 above mark to allow enough room to get electric screwdriver into reinsert longer and more screws. Make sure the screw heads are flush with track or the door will not open. (Don't use screws too long or you will than have a roof repair)
5. Put the top of pantry and trim back into place.
6. Clean up sawdust and debris
7. Replace items back in pantry in exact place DW had them
That's how I fixed mine. The back wall of the pantry went up about 10 inches above the actual top of the pantry. That's why I trimmed it down some which allowed access to the loose track.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote