Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Upholstery Question

I have a couple of questions for those of you that have the Leather Upholstery:

1) How does it hold up to pets, ie. their claws (cats & dogs)?

2) Is it hot and stiff in the summer?

3) Does it wear better or worse than the cloth upholstery?

We are looking at possibly trading to another Montana and everything seems to have the leather option now.

Thanks for any input or advice!
Scott

PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I don't have good answers for your questions. We had cloth in our last and it seemed to wear well. This one has leather and seems comfortable. The theatre seating is very comfortable and does not have to be moved for travel, a definite plus at my age. It is not in the brochure as it is a new feature. Double wall hugging recliners with a console between. We had to wait an extra month to get the new furniture. Going out on our shakedown cruise tomorrow.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
Jewels
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13667
We have leather and a German Shepherd, and the seats hold up wonderfully! Easy to clean and the hair comes off easily of course. They are not hot at all and we're in Missouri where 100's are not unheard of. In the winter I don't notice them being any colder really and if they are they warm quickly from body heat. Love them and wouldn't go back to cloth without a fight!
Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Thanks for the info so far. We have a Chocolate Lab and one Cat.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
We got leather because of pets. Our tan leather couches look new. It's comfortable and has handled "big claws" of our Berneese Mt Dog and English Cream Retreiver. No puncture marks or scratches so far. The Montana Leather is heavy duty.
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Artemus Gordon

We got leather because of pets. Our tan leather couches look new. It's comfortable and has handled "big claws" of our Berneese Mt Dog and English Cream Retreiver. No puncture marks or scratches so far. The Montana Leather is heavy duty.
I truly hope so!!, a clawed cat and a rambunctious dog. We have leather furniture at the house that has held up well.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Our cats claw up our leather a little BUT it is easy to clean up Leather looks nice and easy to clean up and I will stick with leather but the next set of recliners we will put throw blankets on the top to stop them from marking them, One thing that has helped with our cats is have a good scratch pad around
Old 09-26-2013, 04:27 AM   #8
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
There is leather and there is "bonded leather". Bonded leather is nothing more than crushed leather particles encapsulated in vinyl. In other words fake leather. Much of what is advertised as leather is really bonded leather, but it must state so when sold. Even another compromise is real leather on the direct seating surfaces and bonded everywhere else, sides back sides, and the like.

At the sticks and bricks, we have a genuine leather love seat and sofa. It is light in color, more like a tan. Two poodles, one full size and one miniature have found it to be their most favorite place to "guard the yard" during the day. They were not allowed the practice until two years ago. Oh, they won't hurt it, its leather. Wrong. It cleans up very nicely with a good quality leather cleaner as far as grime goes, but the claw marks are there to stay. I don't think bonded leather would take the punishment as well as genuine leather.

I have been looking into what others have done with the theater style love seats and really like the idea, but trying to find real leather makes it a very expensive upgrade toward the $2000 mark. I have no knowledge as to what Keystone is offering in their leather package, but I highly suspect it is bonded leather and cheep bonded leather at that to keep the price down. How it will wear with a dog or two, is a good question and one that will take some time and experience to answer. For now, I think I'll stay with the lumpy miserable cloth recliners for another season or until they break, whichever comes first.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:59 AM   #9
jhudson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13711
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nosticks

There is leather and there is "bonded leather".

I have no knowledge as to what Keystone is offering in their leather package, but I highly suspect it is bonded leather and cheep bonded leather at that to keep the price down.
I had the same question with mine,(I have the leather option)and started to look carefully at my furniture. I was happy to discover that it is truly leather all around. I Unzipped covers, went to the back side of arms and front panels and all pieces are the real thing.

Thank you Keystone!

Jay
jhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:45 AM   #10
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
I would recommend the leather as the cloth used in these trailers is not good quality. After 3 yrs od heavy use our cloth chairs will need to be redone. The couch has one small tear and it is hardly used at all. The chairs are comfortalble, just poor quality fabric.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:54 AM   #11
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Scott,

We have the leather. It is fairly heavy leather. BUT, it is only surface dyed. Meaning the color is only a very thin layer on the leather.

If rubbed you will peal the color off. The backs of my recliners where they touch when turned for travel both have the color gone. And yes we use the straps. We have removed the leather recliners and replaced them with 2 Lazy Boy cloth recliners. Much better sit...

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #12
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Jim,

Thanks for the info. We will look out for that issue on ours if we go that route.

Scott
Old 09-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The strange thing about leather is the less it cost the more work it takes to make it. Bonded leather cost the least and takes the most work to make it the best leather takes almost no work to hide blemishes. It has no blemishes to hide so it is the best and cost the most. There are a lot of grades between bonded and the good stuff.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote