Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
An interesting discussion about mattresses

One of the things we are trying to get is a Sleep Number bed for our new 3850. The RV King premier series is listed as 11" and the deluxe series is listed as 8". The factory supplied RV King in our rig measures at 9" in the middle and 8" around the seams. I originally thought this was an 8" mattress so was concerned that due to the nature of the 3750 and 3850 slides I only had an inch or two additional height that would allow clearance when the slides closed. For those who are unfamiliar, when the two bedroom slides close, the bed platform and the mattress close against the full wall closet and drawers and actually press the drawer assembly 8" beneath the closet (measured in the room). The nine drawer assembly comes with a front that is spring loaded allowing it to be compressed beneath the closet. I finally went to the rig today (3750) and closed myself up in the bedroom and had DW close the slides so I could see and measure exactly what was occurring. When the slides were retracted, I measured the eight inches that the foot of the bed went beneath the fixed closet. In addition, I measured two inches above the mattress surface to the bottom of the fixed closet. So this meant that 9" plus the extra 2" and it would seem that an 11" mattress would work but it would be tight. Remembering a previous thread where another MOC member had mentioned that they had a Premier Sleep Number in their 3750 and that it fit beneath the closet with no problems. Being the curious sort, I PM'ed them to verify that they did indeed have the Premier mattress which the Sleep Number shows as being 11" thick. That PM got them wondering whether they actually had the premier model after they measured the thickness of their bed, so they went to the Sleep Number site and engaged in a live chat with unbelievable results. The reason they decided to question Sleep Number is they measured their premier mattress that was reported to be 11" thick and it measured an astounding 9" thick. Sleep Number gave some convoluted explanation that the measurement is done by some "industry standard" laser measurement before the bed is even assembled that cannot be recreated by the consumer. Say what??? So, the lesson I learned from all this is that an 11" mattress is not 11"! It appears the Sleep Number Premier bed is the same actual thickness as the factory supplied mattress. Now, obviously, we will report the actual results to verify that our installation is the same when we take delivery and get the mattress installed. I have never stressed so much over a mattress as I have during this investigation process, but the information is considered worthy of posting in the respect that it may help someone in the future. I am still totally bewildered how something that seems so straightforward can become such an ordeal of confusion.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
And yes, I trusted DW with the slide controls, while I was in the bedroom. There is no way in or out in a 3750 when the slides are retracted. She was tempted, but thank goodness, was nice enough to let me back out!!
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:18 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You can find unusual ways to have fun. Obviously it's not just truck and RV sales people that use their imagination as factual figures, however.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:45 AM   #4
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Remember, Engineers use drawings as fact. If the edge material is 11 inches, the mattress must be 11 inches thick
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:07 AM   #5
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Bingo you make me smile!!! Are you one of those people who has also ridden inside you rig while going down the road to check how loud it is? I am tempted for our dogs sake but haven't done it yet!

We have the sleep number premiere and I have never been tempted to measure it. However, one thing that might help ease your concerns either way is that it tells you before towing with it to lower the pressure to 20 on both sides. This significantly flattens the mattress! You could easily fit it at that point as I don't even think it is 6" high. It is also light enough you could probably lift/bend it into a position that would allow you to close without having any worries if it was too high.

Best of luck on your further research!!! PLEASE let us know what you find out! Glad to hear that wifey let you out...I bet she was sorely tempted though!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:18 AM   #6
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
Just as two by four's are not actually two by four..... What a joke!!!
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote