Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
An idea to beat the heat...

blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I think reflective bubble wrap for the windows that get sun would help. I believe it's cheap.

BTW, your landlord sounds like a very "helpful" type of individual. Sorry to hear they are difficult to deal with...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I guess the three quickest concerns I'd have are 1.) the weight on the roof added to the tires, expecially when the dirt starts to sprout - would they hold, 2.) what will the campground think? and 3.) Maintenenance and safety!.

Good luck, I hope you get much better input than mine, so far.

I suppose finding a more suitable campground is probably difficult at best.

Best of luck!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
No way would I put a lot of weight on the roof. I think the radiant barrier Dave mentioned will be your best bet. Other than that, there is not a lot more I can think of.

Seems we discussed the AC before; just what is going on with it?
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:00 AM   #5
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Hi ya Blamb

I really haven`t been following your post.But OMG you have a 2009 model Montana.What can be soooo wrong with your AC unit????It just sucks you can`t get that taken care of.I wish i was close by you,I would with pleasure haul your unit to a dealer and have your AC fixed up.It just can`t be any thing major.I`am guessing your dealer knows your situation and if they had any kind of heart they would wave the tech fews for coming out to where you are and fixing your AC.Their has to be some one in your camp ground that would help you get your unit in and have it fixed.I don`t believe you will be happy or comforable with any thing else then your AC up and running.

I wish you luck Blamb.My heart goes out to you.

John
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:08 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Sure doesn't sound like a good dealer to me. I understand them charging fees to make a service call, even under warranty. For example, when our AC went out (under warranty) everything was covered except the service call.

I'd like to offer a suggestion. Call around to see if there may be a mobile RV service who will work on your unit under warranty. Seems to me there are quite a few of those types of service across the country. I know when we were in CA, we had a mobile service come to us and did warranty work, although the warranty wasn't Keystone.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:24 AM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I'm sure someone else can tell you more, but I think I would try resetting the comfort control center on the AC/furnace. Perhaps someone with this system can tell you the position all the Dip switches need to be in also. (We have separate units w/o the comfort controls.) Go to page 17 on this PDF. http://www2.dometicusa.com/pdf/3109270.060.pdf
Old 07-19-2009, 04:56 AM   #8
crandallbradley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5044
There was a man a few yesrs back that made his own window covers.I have done this and they really work to keep my unit a lot cooler.At the bigger hardware stores you can get shadecloth in rolls and you can get the rails that hold window screen.I used one rail at the top and the bottom.I used industrial strength velcro on the rails and windows all the way across so the wind will not pull them off.Using only two rails you can pull the shades off when you don't need them and roll them up for storage.This IS a lot of work but not hard (did not do it in one day)and now I can say it's worth the time and money.
crandallbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 06:11 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Camping World seels the aluminum foil shades that can be cut to any window size. It may be an alternative.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:57 AM   #10
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Camping World seels the aluminum foil shades that can be cut to any window size. It may be an alternative.
Or make your own using aluminum foil. We did that to our bedroom when we were in Alaska so we could sleep at night.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:01 AM   #11
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
We've used the camping world aluminum foil shades for two reasons. One to keep heat out in the summer and second to keep heat in while camping in the winter. The foil comes in two different widths.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:21 PM   #12
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Blamb, go to Lowe's web site. Search for "reflective foil insulation". They carry it by the rolls. I'm not sure how you would attach it to the roof. Any wind might be a problem. Covering the windows will definitely help though.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:02 AM   #13
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Blamb -
You are losing much more through your windows then through the insulated ceiling of the unit and slides. What people are directing you to is the silver insulation to put over the windows to slow the rate of heating through the windows. You can do anything you want outside, but you will still not accomplish much until you address the loss through the windows. It's a shame you're not in Wisconsin. We've only had a few days above the 70's all season so far. Best of luck.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:13 PM   #14
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
You might consider using foamboard on the windows. Avaiable at craft stores as well as Walmart. Light weight and easy to handle.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #15
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Hi blamb,

It's very sad reading your stories about the rig. Unfortunately, it sure seems like the thermostat is a problem if not the air conditioner. Also, I can't blame you for "bagging" on the Monty even though it's the other product manufacturers that have provided your problem products.

But since we are concentrating on the keeping your rig cool, I would caution you not to further insulate the top of the rig and trap hot air trying to escape. The goal is to find ways to cool down the rig closer to the bottom (like the windows) to reflect any heat from coming in, in the first place.

I hope you can use the reflective covers to shield from further warmth from coming in. You might also try a fan or two to circulate the air.

Good luck to you and I hope things start going your way.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:47 PM   #16
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
blamb,

Check this out: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...r-mister/37641

I realize that spending more money is probably not what you want to hear but it's a link to a personal A/C that might help in the interim.

Stay cool.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:47 AM   #17
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Somebody pointed out, on another thread, that cracking a roof vent a bit allows the hot air to escape.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:19 PM   #18
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Blamb,

If your unit is still under warranty then by all means get them to fix the problem. You've already paid for it. Get the dealer to fix it. I know you do not have a tow vehicle. Hire someone to get it to the dealership or pay for a service call and get the dealership to send someone out to adjust/fix the leak.

It is not all that unusual for a slide to leak but certainly something that can and should be fixed.

Don't give up on this stuff.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:50 AM   #19
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
Are there any other dealers in the neighbourhood? Sounds like the one you have is terrible. If you have double paned glass, don't use reflective foil on the inside as it heats the glass and will blow the seals in your double panes. Sunblocking material on the outside is better. I don't know how hot it is where you are. I keep the shades down on the sunny side, open the windows on the shady side, run the fantastic fan, turn the interior fan to "up", shut the bedroom door. This seems to work in temps up to 85. Also use a small fan in bedrrom and livingroom. After that, i reort to the ac.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:15 AM   #20
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Double pane windows sealed? We don't have them, but I thought the ones on the RV were not sealed like stick house double pane windows. Perhaps someone else can chime in on this matter. Foil is a lot easier to put inside the windows if permissible.