Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
Blow up couch

OK since the last time I asked a question I almost cause a war I was asked to try again here goes.
I have a 2008 2955RL with the "wonderful" couch and its wonderful blow up mattress that has leaked air ever since I bought the coach.
Is it me that has all the bad luck with Keystone products or can anyone else have them for a while?
Has it been a problem to get them replaced?

Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
You bad luck should be covered under your warranty.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Yes, you should contact your dealer to either find and fix the leak or replace the mattress.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:24 PM   #4
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I contact the manufacturer and they replaced my mattress. Also do a search for air mattress on this site and I am sure you will find more info. http://www.flairinteriors.com/sleep/sleep.html

hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:19 AM   #5
Tim Pancioli

M.O.C. #8926
Did you talk to your dealer about this (or any of your issues)? The dealer should have a chance to correct issues for you. The manufacturer pays them to do so under warranty. This is revenue for your dealer and in this slow economy they should be glad to service you. If the dealer is a concern, try contacting Keystone customer service next and tell them your issues. Remember these units are all built on a production line using components from many manufacturers. Any quality issue or faulty component a supplier ships to Keystone can show up when the customer tests it (Which i'm sure is not Keystone's intention). In the case of your blow-up bed, I doubt they test it to see if it holds air with someone on it overnight.

I would hope anyone with product issues gives their dealer and the manufacturer a chance to rectify before writing them off. Any large company is only as good as their committment to their customers.
Tim Pancioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:37 AM   #6
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
My mattress got punctured due to some really bad design flaws in the bed frame which allowed it to become pinched when folded. I ground down some edges and added some black plastic tape to a number of areas of the frame. Finally I glued some extra vinyl patches in the area of the mattress where it folds in near the hinges. Hopefully this will keep it free from punctures in the future.
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:38 AM   #7
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Hi,

In recent post there was alot of information about the mattress'. Mine was working fine till shortly after reading the posts. It would lose air throughout the night with no apparent cause.

I checked the round cap on the end of the bed, unscrewed and rescrewed it. Never had a problem since. You may want to check that.
sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:56 AM   #8
Kandharry
Established Member

M.O.C. #8304
Fireone
I had the same problem on my '09 2955.
The first air mattress leaked slowly and the dealer/Keystone replaced it.
We put the replacement on the rig and the first time we used it .........went flat with the granddaughters on it!
My dealer/Keystone replaced it, inflated it overnight to check it and it held air just fine. We put it on the rig and the first time we used it.........you guessed it, it went flat this time with the grandsons on it.

Thru all this we're thinking, did we do something wrong, is the foot valve leaking, is the inflation pump leaking ????

Again my dealer/Keystone replaced it, inflated it overnight to check it, etc.
We inflated this third one on the floor in our stick house and placed weight on it and it held up for 3 days. We put it in the 5th, inflated it, weighted it and left it overnight.
In the morning it was flat!!!!
Back into the house, inflate and the wife and I carefully check
it over.
We found a leak on the side, behind that black "protective cloth"
in the area where the mattress contacts the hinge for the bed frame.
There's nothing sharp on the hinge but something in the closing/opening movement of the bed frame must pinch the mattress.
We used the patch kit to seal the leak and now pad the bed frame hinges. It holds air just fine now and has for the last couple months.
Harry
Kandharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:17 AM   #9
TMerrell
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7988
Got ours new in Jan 2008. It worked fine (and got regular use) until 2 weeks ago when it went flat with me on it (at 3 AM)! I aired it up again and it held for an hour or two and then went flat again. I located the leak. It was on top of the mattress in an area that looked suspicious where several creases met and looks like it might have been pinched when folding up the bed.

I may try a temporary repair later this week when we are in the camper or I may just take it in for warranty repair / replacement later. In either case, I think it is more comfortable than the previous sofa mattress, I just hope it proves to be durable.
TMerrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:21 PM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We have had ours for over 1½ years. I have read of others with leaks, but ours takes a lickin' (grandkids overnight)and keeps on tickin'. We bought ours after the fact to replace our OEM and it is one of the best improvements we have done. We love ours.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:13 AM   #11
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
I thought I liked the idea of these air bags but now I am not so sure. Sounds like there are some bugs that still need to be worked out. Thanks for the heads up.
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:04 AM   #12
dennisl
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7484
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Steve and Brenda

You bad luck should be covered under your warranty.
We had the same problem, and I called my dealer. He had me to bring the old one in, and he ordered a new one. When the new one came in, he just swapped it out and sent the old one back. Honestly, these appear to be some more cheap Chinese junk that will fail again sooner rather than later, but then again it might last for years. At any rate, the dealer should take care of it for you if less than a year old. Good luck.
dennisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:18 AM   #13
TMerrell
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7988
I temporarily patched the hole in ours with a bike tire repair kit from Wal-Mart. In our case, the hole was on the topside and it was tricky getting the rubber cement to stick to the velour, but in the end it worked. I'll have it replaced under warranty later this month.
TMerrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:39 PM   #14
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Since I posted my question Bella went to Lazy Days for arm long list of fixit's and they played with the mattress for several days and our frinds at Keystone said it was our fault for improer storage but that Lazy Days should inflate it and find the leak and fix it.
Ok what ever it take I want to be able to have grandson over and he has to sleep on floor if he did come (we have a dsingle air matress for him.Believe me I will get a new one from someone.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:54 PM   #15
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Doug -
How can you store them improperly? Curious, because we are lookig at a new unit this year.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:02 PM   #16
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
There is no real way to store them safely that I know of.
I was told that they need to be folder neatly (ha) and place well in back of the couch. Having said that I will put mine in an an old travel bag and push as far back as I can and hope for the best.
The new one should be in stock by the time we get "bella" back to Lazy Days to replace the exit, window shades and sink faucet and the rest of the mess.

I HOPE
Old 01-30-2009, 02:36 AM   #17
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Well, there is one other option. The air bladder is attached to the railing frame only by Velcro. Just peel the Velcro back and take the bladder off. storing it is the only other problem, but maybe it would fit behind the couch.

It is the inconvenience of having to re-attach it every time you want to use it.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:07 AM   #18
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
It appears as if Lazy Days and Montana came to a happy ending as I now have a new blatter for the bed. We are going to remove it from the couch and store it else where until needed.
Thank to al for the suggestions and the insight into the problem that many of have with the darn things.

Doug
Old 03-06-2009, 05:08 AM   #19
soonerhooligan
Established Member

M.O.C. #9086
MacDr50 you are right on. My dealer said the problem was with the deflated mattress rubbing on the metal frame. He said that they had problems getting the company to stand behind their product. He suggested taking it out and storing it in the compartment under your couch cushions. Then pull it out when you need it.
soonerhooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:29 PM   #20
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Seems that Robin had the same idea, so in the drawer it went. and now we know the rest of the story