Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Sharp microwave dropped away from cabinet

Moved about 10 miles today on a nice well paved road (PCH between huntington and newport beach for those of you who know SoCal). Found the microwave had dropped from the top cabinet on the right side. Luckily the left side stayed attached. This is a bit hard to describe but once I pulled it down from the cabinet I found the the nut thiggy Sharp used under the sheet metal had pulled through the hole for the screw in the top of the microwave. looks like the hole was maybe 1 or 2mm smaller than the nut thingy. I think I may be able to take the unit apart and epoxy a nut and washer to the underside of the sheet metal so i can torque the screw w/o it free spinning.

Question have any of you that were lucky enough to get the Sharp unit experienced this? For those with SOB of microwave, have you experience this?

If I do decide to try a repair what bonding agent should I try (nut and washer to underside of sheet metal) to allow me to turn the screw w/o it free spinning? Welding surely isn't an option.

As it stands I have no faith in replacing this with another Sharp but since it will be a warranty issue that may be what I get.

Note to self: Strap tanks and microwave.

davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:44 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Can't help you with the repair since we have Dometic. On the other hand we've had roads bad enough that the head piece over the large slide bounced off and never a problem with the microwave.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 03:00 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our large headpiece also fell off the wall a couple of weeks ago. It is part of Rv'ing. The solution is do not move them and they will not fall apart.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:36 AM   #4
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
In all my houses the microwave mounting plate attached to the wall and to the underside of a cabinet in the top front...ie, through the floor of the cabinet using bolts,nuts,washers. The frigidaire in monty is the same. Don't know anything about how sharp mounts, if different. john
Old 05-17-2014, 09:11 AM   #5
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
So, here I was trying to blame Sharp. Turns out the master craftsman over at Keystone didn't bother to attach the Microwave to the rear wall. All that was holding it up was the two screws at the top and that one inch platform on the rear mount. I pushed the top nut thingy back through the hole and tested to confirm it held. And we went to work mounting our first Microwave.

After fighting with the mount for two hrs we finally figured out a the microwave needed to go to the left less than a quarter inch for the rear screws to bite. Took off the little wooden square spacer to the left of the Micro and TADA!!

We are still going to investigate adding L-Brackets or something to add more support. Microwaves have gotten a heck of a lot bigger since I last bought one.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote