Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2014, 11:04 AM   #1
swampdonkey
Established Member

M.O.C. #10718
Hauling RV

How is everyone doing? I am looking for someone that hauls rv's for aliving. If any one knows of any one would like to talk with them or email them. I am in the corporate world need a change until retirement. Hope someone can help

swampdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Double post?
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:21 PM   #3
swampdonkey
Established Member

M.O.C. #10718
Nice to hear from you. My wife has been reading blogs and it sounds like all rv hauler are starving to death. Would like to know if this is true. We are not retired but I am 58 and would like to do something else. What do think about it and how many miles a week do you travel?
Old 01-07-2014, 12:30 PM   #4
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
This is a joke, right? I mean, really...........
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #5
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Send a message via MSN to Ramblin Roadrunners
Really!!! Your handle is swampdonkey?
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:11 PM   #6
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by swampdonkey

How is everyone doing? I am looking for someone that hauls rv's for aliving. If any one knows of any one would like to talk with them or email them. I am in the corporate world need a change until retirement. Hope someone can help
I think there have been several members who claimed to have once hauled RV's around the country. Perhaps none are active any more but may chime in with their experiences in the past.

Although your question may be unusual to what is normally posted here on the MOC, if it is genuine it should be met with respect by other members IMHO.

This may not be the best place to seek the advise you are looking for so you might want to pursue your quest in other venues.

Not sure your handle is any more unusual than mine, it is different (as it should be) but for me only arouses my curiosity as to why you might have chosen it.

Good luck in your search for information.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:26 PM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Agree, this may not be the best forum to ask this question.

Seems swampdonkey has been a member since back in 2010, just been a lurker I would guess?? As a lurker, sometimes the nuances of posting here just befuddle.

Gotta say, this user name may be one of our more unusual ones! I'll just bet there is a story there, eh??

Suggest snooping around the net swampdonkey, maybe a general search will turn up some hints on the business of hauling, the health, and the possible income. Good luck.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:59 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
A quick check of the internet will get you sites like this: http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tru...rofitable.html
The basic answer from most of them is that very few people make money hauling RV's and some lose a bunch.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:47 PM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I did this type of work but for only 3 months. For me, the joy was the traveling around. I didn't make enough to live off but it more than paid the expenses until the dispatcher started wasting my profits by setting up bad loads or sending me to the wrong locations. But there were plenty of others at the company who had been working for this hauler up in the NW U.S. (Oregon). Being in southern Cal, I covered most of their southern loads up into the western states like California, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Montana, Idaho. I quit right before I got sent into Canada.

For swampdonkey most RV haulers are paid over $1 per mile and depended on the type of load, urgency, state commercial load fees and taxes or other factors. It might sound like a lot, but there's not that much left over to cover your own fuel (sometimes a customer paid a small fuel surcharge), lodging and food. DW traveled with me so we had higher costs, but we did this so we enjoyed each other's company while on the road. In the three months time I was typically out for 2 weeks, stayed home for 1 week, then went out for 2 weeks. The wear and tear is a lot on you and your vehicle. The worst part about the job is meeting the clients and customers who have no appreciation for what you do and what it takes and treat you like you owe them everything, but after you realize that these are usually the lower educated or capable, and that is the best job they could ever get, then you'll learn to ignore their crap and not let them get you down. People friendly, they are not.

Swampdonkey - if you have more questions, drop me an email and I can tell you a lot more. For example, you follow trucker guidelines and health requirements and work hour limits so for example you can be "on duty" no more than 80 hours a week then must take long break (there are other daily or multiday requirements to learn). Getting this timing to work out can be tough from job to job. Lots of record keeping to show the DOT you are compliant and squeezing the driving within the guidelines.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:16 PM   #10
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
you can start here: https://www.google.com/search?q=RV+d...ient=firefox-a
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:09 AM   #11
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Swampdonkey, Back in the mid 90's, I bought a brand new 1995 GMC dually diesel. It turned out to be a great truck before they started putting the Duramax and Allison in them. Between my son and I, we worked that truck both full time and part time for 2 years. There was 3 things that I accomplished. Made enough to cover all expenses, wore out myself and the truck. The great thing about it was, met a lot of different people and seen a lot of this great country. I don't think you will find any body that will tell you they are getting rich or making a good living. If they do, they are not telling you the truth! This type of work is for someone that is retired, wants to travel and may have his equipment paid for. If you are making payments on a new truck to get started, you will need to drive your butt off to pay for it.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:39 AM   #12
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Hmmmm Swampdonkey ain't a whole lot different then Steelpony...lol lol
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #13
swampdonkey
Established Member

M.O.C. #10718
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ramblin Roadrunners

yes it I am from new Hampshire we have very large moose up there and we call them donkeys and they like he swamp and I like moose meat nothing wrong with that
Old 01-09-2014, 12:21 PM   #14
swampdonkey
Established Member

M.O.C. #10718
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ramblin Roadrunners

yes it I am from new Hampshire we have very large moose up there and we call them donkeys and they like he swamp and I like moose meat nothing wrong with that
Old 01-09-2014, 01:34 PM   #15
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Send a message via MSN to Ramblin Roadrunners
Well blow my skirt up. LOL You taught this southern redneck something today. Makes sense now that I know the story. Never heard that reference to a moose before. I apologize for my comment. I am planning on visiting your neck of the woods spring, summer and fall of 2015. Your area is on my bucket list. Maybe you can serve me up some of your moose cuisine. We have very limited moose in Colorado. What is causing the double posts?
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote