Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
Let's measure a dealer's customer service

I had some major glitch with my electrical system and took it to Holiday World of Dallas (Montana dealer) where Chris the service manager told me it would take about two weeks to get it back. I dropped it off on Saturday, November 3rd. Not a peep so far. Let's see how long it actually takes.

trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I can't imagine an electrical problem taking 2 weeks. Remind me to NEVER take anything to these people!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Doesn't sound reasonable to me.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
If one doesn't know what's wrong how does one know how long it's gonna take to fix it? I think you've been given some serious lip service. Unless it's gonna take them 2 weeks to initially get to looking at the problem that's about all I would expect them to know. And two weeks to just take an initial look is a bunch of hooey, too.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:47 AM   #5
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
like art, is it just going to take them 2 weeks for them get you into the schedule???
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:46 AM   #6
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Having worked in the Electronics Industry for way too many years, I wouldn't trust a lot of Dealers to even change a lite bulb, yet alone troubleshoot an electrical problem. Guess I'm lucky that I probably understand the system better than most Service Center Techs.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:04 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I think it is wrong to so quickly condemn them with no more information than given. Likely it is a matter of working it in to their existing committments. The actual trouble shooting and work is probably less than a day but they want it there to be available when they are ready to start on it.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:29 AM   #8
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
Let's give the dealer the benefit of the doubt. It's a place that's been in business for a lot of years and I've used their parts department many, many times in the past. It's my first experience with them from a service point of view because they now also handle Montanas so we'll see how it goes.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:04 AM   #9
jswharton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10100
If you said 4 weeks I'd probably still take the over on this one, hope I'm wrong
jswharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #10
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
When someone gives you a timetable, in this case two weeks, one would hope they are good on their word, within reason.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #11
Stephen Underhill
Established Member

M.O.C. #12826
It seems anytime I take an RV to Holiday World in Houston it is at least 2 weeks and longer to get it back. They are busy in the service department and just the way it is.
Stephen Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
[quote]Originally posted by BB_TX

I think it is wrong to so quickly condemn them with no more information than given. Likely it is a matter of working it in to their existing committments. The actual trouble shooting and work is probably less than a day but they want it there to be available when they are ready to start on it.

I agree
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #13
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
Define "Major electrical glitch" may be a clue to length of time.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #14
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
Major electrical glitch definition: Zero 110V going into the surge protector. Checked that out through the surge guard manufacturer and several suggestions received on this forum. Nothing worked. Also.... zero 12V. New battery, disconnect switch set correctly. All circuit breakers and fuses are fine. That about covers it.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #15
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
Trlrboy , talk to Walter Dent the new manager. This store was bought last year by the owner of Holiday World of Houston , Michael Pey. He " cleaned house " one weekend to start over with new people. They have now brought up fifth wheels from Houston to sell.
Petmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:41 AM   #16
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
trlrboy wrote:
Quote:
quote:
Major electrical glitch definition: Zero 110V going into the surge protector. Checked that out through the surge guard manufacturer and several suggestions received on this forum. Nothing worked. Also.... zero 12V. New battery, disconnect switch set correctly. All circuit breakers and fuses are fine. That about covers it.
I suspect your electrical problem is likely not as serious as it appears. Since you have now taken the unit to a dealer I am sure they will discover the problem quickly. Here are steps I would have taken before taking the unit to anyone.
1) Since you say you have no power past the surge protector, if that is one that plugs into the source or in-line then I would set it aside and plug the power cord directly to the source, then check for voltage at the plug on your power cord. If you have power, then it was the surge protector, if still no power at the cord, then the problem is at the source or somewhere in the power cord.
2) Check the battery voltage at the battery, if there has been no charge going into it for a period of time it could be quite dead, the circuitry in the converter and certain other things will produce a small drain on the battery, sufficient to kill it over a fairly short time.

There are steps beyond this that I would check, however since you have neither 120v or 12v then my guess would be that there was no power to the unit, the battery was receiving no charge and is now dead as well.

I am sorry my comments or suggestions do not help you at this point but, the electrical systems in our units are not all that complicated. Testing for a problem starts at the source and eliminates possibilities along the way.

I would think the dealer telling you it would take two weeks was simply advising you that you should not expect to have it looked at prior to that. It is too bad they did not say that in so many words.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:34 AM   #17
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy
I suspect your electrical problem is likely not as serious as it appears. Since you have now taken the unit to a dealer I am sure they will discover the problem quickly. Here are steps I would have taken before taking the unit to anyone.
1) Since you say you have no power past the surge protector, if that is one that plugs into the source or in-line then I would set it aside and plug the power cord directly to the source, then check for voltage at the plug on your power cord. If you have power, then it was the surge protector, if still no power at the cord, then the problem is at the source or somewhere in the power cord.
I called Progressive Industries about this. It a surge protector that's built into the interior power lines, not one that plugs into the pedestal. After putting a meter on it with them on the phone we found that only one leg of the power going into the protector was hot. Kind of rules the protector out as being bad.
2) Check the battery voltage at the battery, if there has been no charge going into it for a period of time it could be quite dead, the circuitry in the converter and certain other things will produce a small drain on the battery, sufficient to kill it over a fairly short time.Battery is new, less than a week old, full charged. Funny thing is when I hook the trailer up to the truck I get exterior lights but not enough power to run the slides in or out.

There are steps beyond this that I would check, however since you have neither 120v or 12v then my guess would be that there was no power to the unit, the battery was receiving no charge and is now dead as well.

I am sorry my comments or suggestions do not help you at this point but, the electrical systems in our units are not all that complicated. Testing for a problem starts at the source and eliminates possibilities along the way.

I would think the dealer telling you it would take two weeks was simply advising you that you should not expect to have it looked at prior to that. It is too bad they did not say that in so many words.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:36 AM   #18
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
Talked with Chris the service manager today. He said they've been backed up on service but would probably have my trailer inside to check it out today. 10 days on their lot so far.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #19
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I will be very interested to see what they come up with. Keep us posted please.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #20
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Not surprising service would be backed up. This is the time of year when most people have ended their camping season and wanting to get repairs done before putting it to bed for the winter.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote