Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2012, 04:04 AM   #1
CBTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9267
Tire inspection suggestion

Several years ago I noticed ,while removing one of our trailer tires, that there was severe wear ( no rubber left) on part of the tire. It was on the inner edge of the tire. It was not visible at first glance because it was not worn completely around the circumference of the tire.

Last month our son-in-law had a tire failure early in a trip. Fortunately he caught the problem via his tire pressure monitoring system before it became too bad. The failed tire had the same wear pattern that I saw several years ago on our TT. He said that he had performed a quick glance at each tire before starting the but had not checked the entire circumference.

Now we both inspect tires at the beginning of a trip by getting on hands and knees and thoroughly checking as much of the circumference as possible.

CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:58 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Since tire pressure should be checked each time you move it, that's a good time (since you're down there already) to check the wear on the tires.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:50 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I agree. We are tire freaks. We have the TMPS system and do a visual tire inspection on the truck and camper everytime we move it. We found a egg shapped bubble on the front Goodyear Wrangler tire on our truck last week that was not there 2 weeks prior.I am on the ground checking pressure and can not miss a defect. Goodyear replaced the tire which had 12K miles on it free of charge that very day.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I wish I could say I do like Rich and examine the tires on a routine basis but I can't. I do check them every now and then. Doing so has saved us at least once or twice. We were preparing to leave a CG and had just put the slides in. I was disconnecting the water. The DW comes by and happens to glance down at the tires. She said are we supposed to have cracks like this in our tires? I thought she was simply referring to the valleys between the treads. Upon closer inspection she was talking about a crack in the valley! The crack was at least a foot long.

We stopped at the tire store just a few miles from the CG and replaced the tire. The dealer said it was a good thing we caught this because we probably would have had a blowout within a couple of hundred miles!

So the moral of the story is do a good visual inspection of your tires. Look for those cracks and bubbles! Travel safely folks. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I still have my Marathons on my Monty. Owning those sure makes me check more often than not. Of course, even with other better tires I hope I never lose this habit.

I guess the best thing to point out is to check them often and hope there is NOTHING there. One of these days if I check them and see something wrong, then I hope it's before I'm on the road. For this reason, I check the psi even when the trailer is sitting on the driveway and keep the tires covered. I use my creepy crawly and look under the check things even if I don't use the rig and not just the tires, too.

I'm fortunate that the rig is stored at my house and we don't go out that often so the wear is negligible, but I do know that them tires are aging as I type this post.

Thanks for the reminder CBTraveler.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:19 AM   #6
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Agree with others, checking psi and tire visual condition frequently is the way to go....
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote