Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
Crooktail
Established Member

M.O.C. #11090
My Mistake

The wife and I took the trailer in this past Saturday to have a second a/c unit installed. While I was checking the trailer in, the wife went shopping (whoda thunk). She found a Dometic ice maker that was "on sale" for $329.00. After we got home, she told me what she had found and said that she thought it would be a good idea to get one. I immediately went on the internet and found the exact same model for $199.00.

Has anyone had good luck with a portable ice maker?

If so, what brand are you using?

Thanks;

Wayne

Crooktail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Wayne,

A lot of us have this ice maker, under different brand names, and have been very happy with it. We got ours at Target a couple of years ago for about $90, and I think most have been able to find it under $100. Don't stop looking for a better price.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
It is excellent, one of our best purchases. Try kohl's, got ours there for $159.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
We got ours at Target for $88.00. We love it and wouldn't be without it. Keep looking.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:12 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
If you have a Menards around you, you can get one there also that is around $125-130 or so! Got one at Target and it went bad on me while I was testing it out at the stick. Got it for about $109 or less!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
jmi
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10907
We have the Magic Chef. We negotiated an ice maker as part of the deal on our Monty. The dealer couldn't find a built in, we're glad. When we picked up the Monty this one was sitting in a box on the counter with the Wal-Mart labels on it.

Been using it since April and it works great, we keep it in the storage compartment on the Monty and fill it with pitchers of water.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magic-Chef...Maker/13308699

When not in use we have a storage box reserved for it for travel.

jmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:41 PM   #7
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
We had one. Too much work and takes too long to make. We are looking for a small freezer that fits in the basement or the washer/dryer closet and will buy bags of ice or make cubes in the freezer. To each their own! Jim
Old 07-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
We have an Emerson in the rig from Target, a Magic Chef at the house from Home Depot and are very pleased with both. We started with one of the "stainless steel" models from Camping World and because I did not trust them, bought the replacement plan as well. Within a year it dies and Camping world replaced it with an exact same model that dies within a year!! I think we paid $199 or so on sale at Camping world (a few years ago), since then, we have less than that invested in two Magic Chef's that are still working well. I guess sometimes, cheaper is better. With a family of four and not buying bags of ice, I already recouped the price of both ice makers. Works for me, but as Jimcol says, to each his own!!
Bingo

on edit: Nosticks post reminded me that I had an Emerson from Target, not a Magic Chef. CRS syndrome again!!

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:05 PM   #9
klash
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9399
We bought a Roam Ice Maker from Camping World in Nashville in May of 2010. Just love it. First batch of cubes is 14 minutes, first two batches of cubes are pretty feeble as the machine is warm inside from just stitting. Thereafter the ice is great. By the way we paid $239 for
it. This past winter we bought an Emmerson Ice Maker for our son, and brought it back to Canada. We paid $149 for it at Target, and he just loves it. I am sure there is just one company in China that makes all of these and then they stick different labels on them.
I wonder if the bouncing around in the rig may lead to their premature failure. We have our mini bar fridge and ice maker down in the basement with access through the street side storage compartment door. I think at this point the ice maker would be about 6 feet aft of the king pin, and not that much bouncing up and down at that point in the rig.
As a point of interest we just installed a new mini upright, front door deep freeze in the compartment where the washer/dryer would normally be installed. It is a Salton and picked it up at Walmart, base is 20" by 20" and 32" high. Paid $239 for it. We are going out on a 3 weeker next week, so it will be put to the test. This is a really neat unit, it has four baskets drawers which slide out to give access to all your frozen foods.
klash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I had one and did not think the ice was hard enough, didn't seem to last long in a glass of soda or whatever else. It finally went Tango Uniform on us and we did not replace. We have a 3400 and it has an entry closet and we put a small (4cu ft), refrigerator that has a freezer in it. We went back to ice trays and put ice in a gal bag and put the bag in the main freezer. Much better ice, IMO. A little more work but worth it to us. I would look for a lower priced unit and when you find you don't like it and throw it away you would not have wasted much money. Good Luck!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:21 AM   #11
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Got two "Emerson" brand China made from Target, one for home one for the road. Both perform flawlessly. It's the first thing on at the campsite right after the air units. Whenever the bin is full, I Ziplock the cubes and put them in the freezer when there is room, and just let the thing produce all day all night. BTW Target just had them again for $119 last week.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #12
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
George and I have two one from Kohl and one from Ft. Bragg PX. Love them would not be without.

Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:00 AM   #13
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
It must be a regional item as I have wandered thru "multipe" Target stores in our area looking for one and they don't seem to stock them.

Home Depot told us that we would have to order it online.....
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #14
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
Parts Ed, The last one I bought was about six months ago from Target on sale for $119. There were none on display. Had to ask one of the red shirts to look it up. They had two in stock and had to bring it up front for me.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #15
Texas5er
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7143
Have an Emerson from Target. Paid $88. Wouldn't be without it. It's been working great for 2 years.
Texas5er is offline   Reply With Quote