Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2012, 06:43 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Bedroom Drawers in 3750FL

Something has been puzzling me regarding the drawer depth beneath the bedroom closet in our 3750FL. When we travel as a family, space is obviously at a premium in terms of clothes storage (three women traveling = never enough room). The drawers are very short when compared to the depth of the closet that overlies them. As part of my thinking-up-random-modifications winter thought process, I am wondering if the depth of these drawers can be changed. I have no idea if there are structural components of the closet that may impede this project and am curious if any of the 3750 owners have pulled the drawers to see what is back there (ours is in storage for now). I am thinking that adding another 6-8" to the drawer depth may be a worthwhile undertaking and I may even gain some room to keep my clothes in there, at least some socks? (three women = nine drawers = 0 drawers for Dad who is forced to use the cabinets over the bed!!). Has anybody had a look-see back there?
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:26 AM   #2
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
We had a 04 and had outside storage under the closet other than the washer lines and vents was all open.

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:34 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Bingo,
When the slides go in, the bed pushes the drawers in so there might not be any room there to use.
Jim
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Jim,
Your post confused me, I am talking about lengthening the drawers from the rear, which would not affect the bed closing against the closet and the drawers. The side wall of the rig is vertical behind the cabinet frame and the bottom of the closet (above the drawers) is over 18" deep (guessing here without measuring), yet the drawers are only a foot deep? Seems like there should be an open area behind the rear of the drawers when they are shut. Extending the drawer box and using some longer drawer rails would be easy unless there is something hidden beneath the closet floor and behind the drawers. I have been meaning to pull the drawers out and see what is back there since I don't understand why the drawers are so short. Even if the closet assembly itself (on a 3750 it is a whole wall structure with nine drawers in the bottom and a triple door closet on the top part) has some sort of structural supports taking up the room, seems like a few mods to the closet frame would allow for longer drawers. Guess if I can make it to the rig sometime, I can pull the drawers and take some photos, but a 50% increase in drawer storage would be nice! Now with all that said, if anyone out there in MOC land is adventuresome and wants to take a look-see, then I can come up with a plan (something to do to offset the winter blahs!)
Bingo
Old 02-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #5
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
When the bedroom slides are brought IN, the mattress pushes the drawer structure back into the opening. You can do this manually as well just to see how it works by pushing on the top of the drawers. Don't build or hide anything behind the drawers!
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #6
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
That's what I meant.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Now that it interesting! So that means that the drawer assembly is completely separate from the closet portion atop it? Not questioning it, just fascinated how this design apparently works. I guess the dresser portion is mounted on some sort of rail or track assembly by itself that has springs behind it to extend the drawers back out when the slides are extended? I am impressed that the "Amish Craftsmen" came up with such a unique design. Totally amazing to me, not to mention that this is further evidence that I apparently have a heck of a lot to learn about this rig. Now that I think about it, it makes sense that the mattress pad and covers never stay in place on the blasted bed when traveling! Now all that is left is to have Cathy close me up in there so I can see exactly how this works. Oh, and I had better take the remote with me just in case she decides to leave me in there!! Thanks Ron and Jim for letting me in on an unknown design feature!! Drat, so I am still going to have to keep my clothes in the cabinets above the bed!
Bingo
Old 02-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

I am impressed that the "Amish Craftsmen" came up with such a unique design. Bingo

Bingo, I seriously doubt that the Amish had anything to do with the design of it!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I had to go look at the new floorplan and it is not the same as the one we had ours had the closet across the back the new on is in a slide

bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:23 AM   #10
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Bingo:
When I took delivery of mine the bedspread was torn. I asked the person doing the PDI to make a notation and get it replaced. My curiosity got the best of me as to why the bedspread would be torn at the corner so I used the remote to run the slides in as I stood by the bedroom door. Much to my horror the headboard side came in first then I watched the wardrobe slide close. The bottom of the bed hit the chest of drawers and kept going. I stopped the slide and looked outside and there was still a good 6 inches left. I called the PDI person over and said "thats what tore the bedspread, better figure out how to keep that from happening again". The PDI person just stood there with a dumbfounded look on his face and said "I never saw anything like that before". Needless to say I am very particular how the bed is made before closing the slide.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Keith,
I had noticed that the memory foam topper we use was always buckled up but never gave it a second thought. I guess the bedspread part escaped me because we always store stuff on the bed and I wrap it with the bedspread before we travel. So it is not apt to get caught since it is not at the foot of the bed. Thinking back when it was new, I do remember that the bedspread ended up on the floor and now I realize why. I am totally fascinated by the design and will have to learn the "behind the scene" details when I get a chance to go to the rig. That "need-to-know" part of me is curious as to how the thing is set up in the event there are ever problems (like that ever happens!). The vast experience and knowledge of the MOC has rose to the occasion again!!
Bingo
Old 02-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #12
Krusher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11244
Yep...... when we did our PDI at the dealer last year, he specifically showed us the bedroom slide operation, and told us to be sure to fold up the bedspread and blankets so they would not get caught under the wardrobe when we extend the slides. I still watch it everytime I retract/extend the slides.
Krusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #13
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
It's a good idea to fold back the bedspread, sheets and any foam topper prior to putting in the slides. We didn't at first which caused downward pressure on the bed assembly which then caused the rollers under the bed to bind on the little bit of carpet which sticks out from the drawers. The carpet became badly creased. We since had the carpet fixed and the slide adjusted a bit but now rolling back the bedcovers and topper a couple of feet is part of our pre-trip stuff.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #14
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
I also wondered why the bedding kept being pulled off the bed when we opened the slides. I had my bride run in the slides while I stood by the rear window and was amazed. We now fold back the bedding at the foot of the bed and have no more issues.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:01 AM   #15
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
We also fold the bedspread over top of the pillows and make sure that the mattress is centered on the plywood.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #16
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I went and looked at my drawer construction, I also wanted to make my drawers a bit deeper, but that wont happen according to the movie showing the construction of the drawer rails and clearance behind the drawers. most construction on our drawers are the same for most RV construction ( save the money ) I know your might be a bit differant Bingo having a different model.
but here is what I have to deal with.

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...t=100_0245.mp4

Good luck

Don