Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Clicky-clicky-no movey....

Ready to hit the road this morning, hooked up, Sue, pull the slides in. Sue? Hey Sue! Sue says she is pushing the rocker switch. No movey.
I checked my super-duper 80 Amp breaker...not tripped. Broke out the meter, getting voltage, 13.5 showing.
Hmmmm.
Went to the 12 volt fuse box, had her push button...Red light on fuse box on one circuit.
New 15 amp fuse, clickey-movey
New one on me.
It's nice when they retract when you want to go somewhere.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Hey Ozz, I saw a custom motor home recently that had voice command. Might be a good mod for you.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
You can go faster when the slides are in!

I tried going through a toll booth with the slides out once, didn't work...
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #4
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
Thanks Ozz for the heads up.
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
?
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lambchop

?
I guess the gist of my story, is if the slides don't operate, check the 12 volt fuses in the panel. My 15 amp fuse was blown.
Also, the red light showing the blown fuse won't light up until the switch is depressed, takes two people, push the slide switch, and look at the 12 volt fuse lights.
I don't really know why the fuse is controlling the switch, maybe it's just my unit.... but I don't know.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:45 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by patbarton

You can go faster when the slides are in!

I tried going through a toll booth with the slides out once, didn't work...

Did ya'll miss that last sentence from Pat.

Now Pat, you need to start another thread with information on going through a toll booth with the slides out. That has to be one interesting story.

Ozz, all I can say is that in the SOB it is more of a PITA when things don't work. Just seems more complicated.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I just had to make an electrical service call here in the campground, a wire shorted to ground over one space, they turned all the breakers off on my row to see what the problem was. I wrapped the wire bindle with rubber tape and insulated the cover with some rubber sheet I carry.
Nice to fix stuff again, the park owner offered to pay me, but I told him just glad to help.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:44 PM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ahhh, just figured it out. The 12 volts I didn't have is for the coil power to the slide motor solenoid.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:27 AM   #10
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Ahhh, just figured it out. The 12 volts I didn't have is for the coil power to the slide motor solenoid.
Yep, all the 12 volt wiring should be fused. Not saying all units are wired the same tho!

My oldest son learned in his teens why I always harped on lifting the negative battery cable when working on a vehicle. He pulled the dust cover on his engine flywheel, let it swing back and hit the starter solenoid. Promptly got the battery so hot it melted a hole in the case. Lesson learned. You can't pay him to work on one without lifting that cable now.

Wonder if you might have a sticky solenoid? I've seen solenoid coils go up in smoke when the thingamajig in the center gets stuck and won't pull into the coil.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That's good to know. I never thought about there having to be current to the fuse before that red light will glow. Makes sense, though. I suppose a guy could rig some mirrors to see the fuse panel if there's no one to help. Or run real fast between switch and panel.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote