Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2017, 07:33 PM   #1
jjfleck
Established Member

M.O.C. #19826
Unhappy Slides opening by themselves

Got my 2017 3820FK loaded up and ready for our 1st trip, closed everything up, hooked up the hitch and went to bed. When I came out in the morning all the hydraulic slides were out about 8 inches. Called dealer, he says the shutter valve is stuck and to open and close about 4 times and that should fix the problem. Well that didn't work, the slides seem to come out about 1 inch per hour. Is there something else I might be able to check, the valves are all tight and it doesn't seem to have a fluid leak. I hate the thought of spending my 1st trip at the dealer. Has anybody seen this before or have any thoughts on the problem, this is my 1st rv with a hydraulic system so I'm kind of covering new ground here. Thanks

jjfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:14 PM   #2
kc8lvy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19861
At the bottom of your auto level control are 3 knobs are any of them turned off ? Just an idea.
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 04:49 AM   #3
Butch & Kathy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18980
My unit has a control for each hydraulic slide in the level up control box. Try turning those off if you have them to see if it stops the slides from coming out.
Butch & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:24 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
If you do a search, this has been brought up many times. You may have a check valve in the pump bad, you may have leaking piston seals internal to a cylinder new unit or not. Though doubtful when you say all slides creep out ... there may be air in the lines. Cycle the slides full in and full out 3-4 times and see if it makes any difference. This will bleed the air out of the system if present.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:41 AM   #5
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
If you do a search, this has been brought up many times. You may have a check valve in the pump bad, you may have leaking piston seals internal to a cylinder new unit or not. Though doubtful when you say all slides creep out ... there may be air in the lines. Cycle the slides full in and full out 3-4 times and see if it makes any difference. This will bleed the air out of the system if present.
I had the same problem on my 2010 rig. People on this forum said that there may be air in the line and to be sure the fluid was full. Fluid was low, added fluid, sycled system several times and that fixed it. I hope it is a simple as this fix.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:18 AM   #6
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
If you are able to attend the Fall Rally at Goshen, talk to someone there. I had same type problems and made an appt at Tiara RV. After they have it for about 5 hours, they say: "oh the pressure is 4000 psi and we don't have gauges for that!!!". Nice job Tiara. Anyway, they did call Lippert and got me in the next morning at 7 a.m. Lippert replaced the 2 main pistons and 5 hours later we were good (and have remained that way).

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:36 PM   #7
jjfleck
Established Member

M.O.C. #19826
I checked the valves both ways. With the valves open they all open. With the valves closed one slide opens way up while the other stay closed. I called lippert today, their tech thinks it may be a bad cylinder. Keystone thinks its a fluid leak but the level hasn't fell off that I can tell. I think I'm gonna have to bring it to the dealer, its crazy I haven't even got to use my camper yet. You would think this stuff gets checked at the factory.
jjfleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:44 AM   #8
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Dieselguy

How about this he has air in the one that creeps out and a leak in the internal cylinder piston seal that may not leak if he can bleed all the air out of that cylinder?

jjfleck

Try this with the valves to the slides that don’t creep out when all valves closed closed and the one that is creeping out open operate that slide in and out full travel 4 to 6 times and see if that helps.

One thing don’t forget the pump motor is not a continues duty motor so after about 4 operation give it about a 15 min rest then do another 2 or 3 operations and let’s see what happens.

Phil P
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:00 AM   #9
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
Mine slides have crept out as well...after I close them I just touch the switch in the out position quickly once or twice to relieve and balance the pressure...you can get it right about 95% of the time..it seems to do the trick without all the hassle of taking it back and forth into the dealer that is about 100 miles away...give it a try...
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote