Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2017, 09:05 AM   #1
tooth ferry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17209
Landing gear problem

2014 Montana High Country w/ 3.o ground effect levelers. Outer sleeve of front leg has slipped down about 3". Cannot move it back into place either with weight on the leg or with side blocked up so there is no weight on it. Is there any thing locating this outer sleeve other than the 2 clamping brackets tightened by bolts. Total stroke of this leg cannot be extended fully as is. Is there anything in the electric motor/gear assembly that also locates this? Cannot raise high enough to hook back up without using another jack to do so.

tooth ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:31 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I would call lippert and have them guide you to resolve your issue.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:26 PM   #3
tooth ferry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17209
Landing gear

Tried that as I have had to get help from them several times to reset the controls. They would not advise me on this problem. Don't know if it would be a liability question or what.
tooth ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:23 PM   #4
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooth ferry View Post
2014 Montana High Country w/ 3.o ground effect levelers. Outer sleeve of front leg has slipped down about 3". Cannot move it back into place either with weight on the leg or with side blocked up so there is no weight on it. Is there any thing locating this outer sleeve other than the 2 clamping brackets tightened by bolts. Total stroke of this leg cannot be extended fully as is. Is there anything in the electric motor/gear assembly that also locates this? Cannot raise high enough to hook back up without using another jack to do so.
As you look inside at the leg, see the two "bumps" stamped out in the outer sleeve? There are two identical "bumps" on the opposite side. These are what support the weight of the camper. The two bolts through the brackets just hold the leg into position so the "bumps" rest on the side of the bracket you can't see. The brackets are U shaped, with the bottom of the U welded to the frame. The motor on top does not have any weight on it; it just turns a screw inside the leg.

If I understand your problem correctly, your leg slipped down, so it must be that the bracket bolts were not tight enough and let the leg (and the bump in the sleeve) move away from the inside of the U bracket.

If you have a jack (6 ton minimum), you can slip it under the frame on that side and raise it high enough to re-seat on the leg. Place the jack as far forward as you can. I had to replace a leg and had to do that.

There is also a chance that the inner leg is not extending far enough (and not supporting weight). That would probably be because the block inside the inner leg that the motor screw screws into has broken loose. That's what happened to mine, and was the reason I had to replace the leg.
Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:28 AM   #5
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
X2 what Bama Camper said. I'm assuming you have the stock single motor landing gear. Then, if the outer leg has slipped down that means the whole thing has and the bar that runs from the motor from one leg to the other across the front compartment should be tilted or even disconnected. There could be some damage to one end or the other as well, since these things weren't meant to work unless the two legs were even.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:42 AM   #6
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
I would try Lippert again.. I have found them to be super helpful.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote