Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2016, 02:45 PM   #1
bheckie123
Established Member

M.O.C. #18015
Lights on Bedroom Slide

Recently my two lights above the headboard on the bedroom slide don't work. I checked fuses which are all OK. All other lights in the bedroom work. Is there a cable under the bed that might have come un-hooked or has a short? Anyone else ever have this problem...please help if you can. What am I not checking?? Thanks!

2013 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax DRW
bheckie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 04:47 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
My other slides have a junction box under them. There is probably a junction box under the plywood floor of the under bed storage where the hydraulics for operating the slide are concealed.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:16 PM   #3
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
On ours there is a set of 12v wires fed through the the floor under the plywood. They just used wire nuts to tie to the wires coming from the slides. They leave enough slack wire to allow for movement of the slide. Could be loose wire nut or one of the wires are wore through from repeated slide movement.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:55 PM   #4
rgn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5555
I have a 2005 and min turned out to be cheap light switches. Check them also...
rgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:17 PM   #5
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Mine quit working a couple of years ago. Checked voltage in wiring, it was good. Figured out it was the push button switches and changed them out. They sit on a cold wall with heat in the unit, so the rust. Check this first before getting toodeep in your wiring.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:33 PM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
My switches are also problematic. Sometimes I have to actuate the switch 2-3 times and maybe wiggle it a little to get the light to come on. Once it comes on, it is usually good for the duration of that trip. And starts it again next trip. Gotta replace them.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:29 AM   #7
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
That was the same indicators i had with mine before testing it and replaced switch. Couple of minutes job for each receptacle. I bought switches at camping wprld, but you should be able to find them at most hardware stores.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:44 PM   #8
Neverhome
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18136
Are you referring to the reading lights on each side of the headboard?
Mine do not work either. It would seem unlikely that both would have rust problems or bad switches at the same time, although they could. Is it possible that the fiver has to be plugged in to shore power for them to operate? They definitely are 12 volt and the rest of the lights in that area use battery power and are working just fine. Unit is a 2007 I bought last fall and this is the first time I have had a chance to use the lights.
Neverhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:17 AM   #9
bheckie123
Established Member

M.O.C. #18015
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Neverhome

Are you referring to the reading lights on each side of the headboard?
Mine do not work either. It would seem unlikely that both would have rust problems or bad switches at the same time, although they could. Is it possible that the fiver has to be plugged in to shore power for them to operate? They definitely are 12 volt and the rest of the lights in that area use battery power and are working just fine. Unit is a 2007 I bought last fall and this is the first time I have had a chance to use the lights.
It doesn't make sense that both lights would have bad push-button switches at the same time. And I never had previous issues. I am on 50-amp service so lights should be working whether AC or DC operational. The issue must be in the wiring under the bed and I'll check that out soon. Thanks everyone for the replies!
2013 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax DRW
bheckie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:16 AM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Actually both my switches did start going bad at the same time. Suddenly at the start of one season several years ago both switches would have to be actuated 3-4 times, and maybe wiggled, before they would come on after they had not been used for a while. Once they come on, they are usually good for as long as we are using the trailer. But as soon as it sits up for a while, it starts all over again. Got new switches on order.

I am assuming you did check the bulbs.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:53 PM   #11
Neverhome
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18136
Took some advice from the posts above and had a second look at the bedroom lights. Checked under the bed and wiring was intact and had not pulled out, took the lights off of the wall and sure enough, rust on both. Fuse had blown the first time so I tightened everything up refused, and it blew again. Called my son who is an electrician and he put meters to everything, all checked out as working so we determined the short had to be in the wiring between the switch and the bulb, somewhere in the tube. Since I never liked the looks of the lights anyway, we pulled those two and the three in the living room out and I have five of a new modern style on the way as we speak. The three in the living room are all good, and the same as the ones in the bedroom so if any of you out there would like them, I'll send them for the cost of the postage. These are out of a 2007, 3400RL Montana.
Neverhome is offline   Reply With Quote