Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2015, 10:41 AM   #1
Sundown08
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16017
Inverter issue

Hi Everyone:

I own a 2015 Montana Big Sky 379RL Fifth Wheel. It came with a WFCO WF-5110H 1000 watt sine wave Inverter. We have a residential refrigerator on board. Recently we had a power failure and I noticed there was no power to the Refrigerator. My understanding is that when AC power is cut the Inverter should take over with 12 volt power. I checked the inverter (which is mounted to the ceiling of our pass through storage area) and found that the screen was blank, no fan and no light on the panel. I discovered that the unit was not plugged in. I pulled the wall near the convenience center and found the plug receptacle and plugged in the unit. I pushed the switch on the panel to on and still nothing. I checked the plug receptacle and have power there. I also checked the fuse and it showed OK. I have one battery which I recently serviced. It is fully charged and cutoff switch is on.

Sorry if this is long winded I just want to cover what I have done so far. Is there a re-set switch on this unit? I checked the manual for the unit and it was little help. Any suggestions or help would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Sundown08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:42 PM   #2
Meauwataka
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17641
I have a 2015 3791RV and had the same problem. My husband found that the body ground wasn't crimped good and it had come loose. He put a new crimped on cable end and it has worked fine ever since.
Meauwataka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:45 PM   #3
Sundown08
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16017
Hi:

Thanks so much for the reply! Can you or your husband tell me where the body ground is located? I will certainly check it out.

Thanks,

Steve

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Meauwataka

I have a 2015 3791RV and had the same problem. My husband found that the body ground wasn't crimped good and it had come loose. He put a new crimped on cable end and it has worked fine ever since.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:36 PM   #4
Meauwataka
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17641
G
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sundown08

Hi:

Thanks so much for the reply! Can you or your husband tell me where the body ground is located? I will certainly check it out.

Thanks,

Steve

Quote:

Old 09-16-2015, 02:40 PM   #5
Meauwataka
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17641
Ours was located in the front door compartment close to the battery. It was a large white wire and it was fastened to the wall behind the battery.
Hi:

Thanks,

Steve

Quote:

[/quote]
Old 09-16-2015, 02:55 PM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:

...I checked the plug receptacle and have power there...
What power do you have there...standard AC power or inverter power? We had a coach that had an inverter, but all AC plugs were not powered by the inverter.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:09 PM   #7
Sundown08
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16017
Thank you. I will check that.

Quote:

Ours was located in the front door compartment close to the battery. It was a large white wire and it was fastened to the wall behind the battery.
Hi:

Thanks,

Steve

Quote:

[/quote]
Old 09-16-2015, 04:12 PM   #8
Sundown08
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16017
Hi:

I was checking for AC power. Wanted to make sure there was power at the plug.

Thanks,

Steve

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

Quote:

...I checked the plug receptacle and have power there...
What power do you have there...standard AC power or inverter power? We had a coach that had an inverter, but all AC plugs were not powered by the inverter.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:16 AM   #9
bandit
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12000
There is a soft reset button next to the on/off switch which brought our 2015 Montana 3611 power back on.

Quote:

Hi Everyone:

I own a 2015 Montana Big Sky 379RL Fifth Wheel. It came with a WFCO WF-5110H 1000 watt sine wave Inverter. We have a residential refrigerator on board. Recently we had a power failure and I noticed there was no power to the Refrigerator. My understanding is that when AC power is cut the Inverter should take over with 12 volt power. I checked the inverter (which is mounted to the ceiling of our pass through storage area) and found that the screen was blank, no fan and no light on the panel. I discovered that the unit was not plugged in. I pulled the wall near the convenience center and found the plug receptacle and plugged in the unit. I pushed the switch on the panel to on and still nothing. I checked the plug receptacle and have power there. I also checked the fuse and it showed OK. I have one battery which I recently serviced. It is fully charged and cutoff switch is on.

Sorry if this is long winded I just want to cover what I have done so far. Is there a re-set switch on this unit? I checked the manual for the unit and it was little help. Any suggestions or help would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:24 AM   #10
Sundown08
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16017
Thank you! I will see if there is a re-set button on mine.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bandit

There is a soft reset button next to the on/off switch which brought our 2015 Montana 3611 power back on.

Quote:

Hi Everyone:

Thanks,

Steve
Old 09-17-2015, 03:34 AM   #11
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
The plug that you found behind the wall and plugged into the outlet mounted near the inverter allows for 120v pass thru voltage to power the fridge when connected to shore power. the inverter can be turned off or on and the fridge will still work if you have shore power and this plug is plugged in. The inverter is fed by two short batter leads that go thru the front wall to the battery. there is a battery cut off near the battery and in direct line with these wires. this is so you can remove all power to the inverter. make sure the battery cut off is in the on position, then press the on button on the inverter. As stated above, only the outlet the fridge is plugged into gets power thru the inverter. My guess is it is that battery cutoff for the inverter that is turned off.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:59 AM   #12
Sundown08
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16017
Hi:

Thank you for the reply. When I get home from work tonight I am going to check the wires from the inverter to the battery. The battery cutoff switch is on. When I turned on the switch on the inverter I got nothing. Nothing on the screen, no indicator light and no fan. Is there another switch for the inverter? I have checked my panel inside and found no inverter switch there. Again thanks for the help!

Regards,

Steve

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cw3jason

The plug that you found behind the wall and plugged into the outlet mounted near the inverter allows for 120v pass thru voltage to power the fridge when connected to shore power. the inverter can be turned off or on and the fridge will still work if you have shore power and this plug is plugged in. The inverter is fed by two short batter leads that go thru the front wall to the battery. there is a battery cut off near the battery and in direct line with these wires. this is so you can remove all power to the inverter. make sure the battery cut off is in the on position, then press the on button on the inverter. As stated above, only the outlet the fridge is plugged into gets power thru the inverter. My guess is it is that battery cutoff for the inverter that is turned off.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:48 AM   #13
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
Quote:

Hi:

Thank you for the reply. When I get home from work tonight I am going to check the wires from the inverter to the battery. The battery cutoff switch is on. When I turned on the switch on the inverter I got nothing. Nothing on the screen, no indicator light and no fan. Is there another switch for the inverter? I have checked my panel inside and found no inverter switch there. Again thanks for the help!

Regards,
Steve

Quote:

No, just the one on off switch on the inverter. I did call the company though when i was curious why it would shut off with an error sometimes after plugging into shore power. Seems if the converter is charging the battery in boost mode. around 14 volts it can trigger an error in the Inverter and cause the inverter to show an error. They recomended a factory reset by removing all power both AC and DC. I figured this is why the batt cut off is in line with the inverter. unplug from AC and battery disconnect from DC wait 15 to 20 seconds then power back up and turn on. See if that works.

good luck,
Jason
Old 09-17-2015, 08:01 AM   #14
Sundown08
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16017
Hi:

Thanks so much for the information. I will try the factory reset. We are full time. Do you think the factory reset would work by turning off the circuit breakers at my 50 amp plugin and turning the battery disconnect to off? Again thanks for the help!

Best regards,

Steve

Quote:

Quote:

Hi:

Regards,
Steve

Quote:

No, just the one on off switch on the inverter. I did call the company though when i was curious why it would shut off with an error sometimes after plugging into shore power. Seems if the converter is charging the battery in boost mode. around 14 volts it can trigger an error in the Inverter and cause the inverter to show an error. They recomended a factory reset by removing all power both AC and DC. I figured this is why the batt cut off is in line with the inverter. unplug from AC and battery disconnect from DC wait 15 to 20 seconds then power back up and turn on. See if that works.

good luck,
Jason
Old 09-18-2015, 04:26 AM   #15
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
[quote]Originally posted by Sundown08

Hi:

Thanks so much for the information. I will try the factory reset. We are full time. Do you think the factory reset would work by turning off the circuit breakers at my 50 amp plugin and turning the battery disconnect to off? Again thanks for the help!

Best regards,

Steve

Yes, that would work as you are removing all sources of AC and DC power, but you do not need to remove AC to the entire trailer just the inverter, and this can be done by just unplugging it in the passthru area. Make sure you identify the proper battery cut off. not the one in the convenience center with the key. The one for the inverter is in the battery compartment on the wall in front of the inverter. The only wires connected should be the big battery wires going directly to the inverter.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:30 AM   #16
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
I almost forgot. There is a fuse in the Inverter. little black circle, unscrew it and check your fuse to make sure its not blown. I like to check the fuse with a multimeter as the glass window can sometimes give false indications.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:50 AM   #17
Sundown08
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16017
Hi Jason:

Thank you so much for the information and the help! I did check the fuse with a Multi meter. It checked out OK. I will be checking wiring to the battery and doing the Factory reset tomorrow. Thank you again for the help and support!

Regard,

Steve

Quote:

I almost forgot. There is a fuse in the Inverter. little black circle, unscrew it and check your fuse to make sure its not blown. I like to check the fuse with a multimeter as the glass window can sometimes give false indications.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:09 AM   #18
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
No Problem. Good Luck!
Old 04-18-2016, 05:26 AM   #19
billhansen19304
Established Member

M.O.C. #15861
Hi - Did this get resolved? I have the same problem. Had it to dealer and they could not make it fail. Brought it home, plugged in and failing again. Runs for hours or a day or so, no pattern. Wondering if you have resolved this problem.
Bill

Quote:

Hi Jason:

Thank you so much for the information and the help! I did check the fuse with a Multi meter. It checked out OK. I will be checking wiring to the battery and doing the Factory reset tomorrow. Thank you again for the help and support!

Regard,

Steve

Quote:

billhansen19304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:02 AM   #20
Sundown08
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16017
Hi:

Yes turned out the unit was bad. Received another unit and all has been fine since.

Regards,

Steve

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by billhansen19304

Hi - Did this get resolved? I have the same problem. Had it to dealer and they could not make it fail. Brought it home, plugged in and failing again. Runs for hours or a day or so, no pattern. Wondering if you have resolved this problem.
Bill

Quote:

Hi Jason:

Regard,

Steve

Quote: