Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2015, 06:50 PM   #1
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
Uh Oh!!!

We were driving home from Beaumont, TX, today and came across a crazy situation.

We were in Arkansas on I-20, light rain and quite a bit of road spray. We topped a rise and everybody started hitting their brakes and swerving into the right hand lane. (Luckily traffic was reasonably spaced.) Sure was glad we weren't pulling the Big Sky!

The problem? STOPPED in the left hand lane was a Ford truck with his hood up. In front of it was a red car. Didn't see any damage to either one. People on their cell phones standing BETWEEN the truck and car! I say again - THEY WERE IN THE TRAFFIC LANE! Not on the shoulder. Hubby, son and I were just fussing about how they hadn't moved out of the road. (Not that they could hear us.)

I immediately called my sister, who was a little ways behind us and told her to stay in the right hand lane because of what we saw. A few minutes later, she called me back to say "There's no way they could move that vehicle, the front was all crushed in and the right tire was sticking out at a funny angle." I said, "We didn't see any damage." Her reply, "Yes. The front of the white car was all caved in." Huh? What white car? Apparently, In the couple of minutes that passed between our passing the site and my sister's passing the site, somebody didn't make the move to the right lane. Whoever it was did manage to get the red truck out of the road, though.

I sure hope everybody was okay. Just keep thinking about those people standing between the stopped vehicles. Crazy . . .

Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:36 AM   #2
halfwright
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12992
Years ago there was a similar situation near Denver. Both the boys survived, but lost their legs from the knee down.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 04:04 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Almost everyday you see some example of a lack of simple common sense.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:24 AM   #4
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
One of the most dangerous things you can do is pull over onto the shoulder of a interstate highway, let alone stop in an actual lane of traffic! In the situation described it wasn't "if" they were going to be hit but a question of "when" they would be stuck by another vehicle.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:23 AM   #5
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
You just can't cure stupid. They put everybody's lives in jeopardy.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:20 PM   #6
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Working in the Fire Dept. for over 36 years I have responded to the aftermath of these types of situations many times. Some people just don't get it until it's to late! Very Sad!
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote