Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2015, 06:16 PM   #1
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Generator control switch

Ok I need help in finding out where the factory installed generator control switch is located in other owners units. Our 3160 RL arrived at the dealership in Pasco. I had an opportunity to take a quick walk through after I left work. The unit looked like it had arrived in good shape in the short time I had to look at it. The biggest question I have is the location of the generator control switch. I thought the generator switch would be with the other switches. Finally found it located in the bedroom closet mounted on the front wall by the closet light. Is this the normal location? I understand that this would be directly above the generator but it still blows my mind that it would not be with the rest of the electronic controls in the hallway by the door. I would post a picture but it does not appear that this website is set up to do that.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Tom & Lynne Marty

Old 04-13-2015, 06:29 PM   #2
DAR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12658
Yep same place on mine only mine is part of the entertainment center.
I agree makes no sense to me why they put it there. On the 3750 you have to open the DS lounge slide to gain access. It is very inconvenient when we make a roadside stop for lunch and want to use the microwave. All my switches are in the coat closet just inside the door which is only about 4 feet from the generator and where it is located is at least 6 or more feet, even the cheapest shortest distance doesn't seem to work here. Must be another one where the designer should have to use what they design.
DAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:01 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Generator switch on most models is at the front of the rig (closest to the generator). There are other options including a somewhat expensive remote start module that we elected to install. With regards to photos, you have to use an off-site photo storage site to post photos on the forum. Go to the home page and their is a tutorial there on how to post photos in the forum and in your signature page.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:17 AM   #4
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Ours is in the same place as yours, front closet just above the generator. There is another switch inside the door on the front of the generator itself.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:54 PM   #5
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Well I have some good news that made my wife and I smile. I left work early and went to the dealership to pick up the 3160 RL LE tonight for an upcoming camping trip to Levinworth Wa. Traffic was a bit hectic for our area but I made it safely. Pulled into the RV pick up area and no unit waiting for me. By then I was a bit irritated as they knew I was picking it up. I went in and talked to the service rep that they assigned to us because of all the issues and asked where the unit was. He said he would have someone get it right away and had wanted to make sure I did get there to pick it up before putting it in the pick up area. Then he said that he a surprise that should make us a bit happier. He said even though Keystone denied the moving of the generator switch from the ridiculas location in the bedroom closet to the cabinet with all the rest of the switches the dealership decided to go ahead and do that for us for free. He said they were trying to make things right with us which is very nice and well appreciated by us. They have had it for close to 80% of the time since we purchased it back in April. After this trip I will need to take it back to get the paint and decals on the front cap and possibly the rear cap redone as the first repair and repainting was not real great and the shop they had do it went out of business shortly after they repaired the gouge in the front cap and repainted it.
We are just happy to be getting to use it. :-)

Tom Marty
Old 08-04-2015, 04:06 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Glad they did something for you to try and make it at least a little right.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:40 PM   #7
markmontana
Established Member

M.O.C. #13597
I've found having the switch near the generator helps me hear the operation. It's so quiet, if the switch was further away I could not hear it.
markmontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:37 PM   #8
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
The reason I wanted it in with the rest of the switches is I can pull over and climb in the unit and start the AC without having to extend the bedroom slide out and walk past the bed and then open the closet. It is not enjoyable pulling into camp with the inside of the unit in the upper 90's. Sometime later I will look into the wireless remote that is available. Then I would not have to even pull off the road.
I am truly happy that they did this for us.

Tom Marty