Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2013, 01:11 AM   #1
rahandrew
Established Member

M.O.C. #13217
Slides and Jacks (Lippert leveling) intermittent

Recently traded in our 2010 3075 for new 2013 3582RL. Love it, except for problem of landing gear (LG) and jacks intermittently working. Take it to dealer, it works. Bring it home (155 mi. away) and likely as not experience problem. LG will start to work, stop, wait 5-10 min. will work again. Slides same. Not the thermal cut out switch, not the batteries (2 in parallel). Have found many similar problems on Forrest River RV blogs, but none on Montana (that I can find). Would like to hear from anyone who has had similar problem and fixed it, or any suggestions. Love the Montana, took our 3075 to Alaska in 2010 and to Newfoundland in 2011. Really would like to get problem solved so we can travel again.

rahandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:25 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The first thing I would suggest is to replace the battery in the remote if that is what you are using. Do the symptoms only occur with the remote, or with the on-board switches as well. If so, sounds like the battery replacement or a remote board reset would be in order.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:51 AM   #3
rahandrew
Established Member

M.O.C. #13217
Thanks Bingo for the response. Problem occurs with either the remote or with on-board switches. How do you reset the remote board? I'll double check the on-board batteries. Thanks
Old 02-14-2013, 03:09 AM   #4
ranch560
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12491
Ralph, we also have a 3582, but I would imagine all newer Montana's can have similar problems. We are in the Tucson area at the present and just had some similar problems. The other morning as we were preparing to leave, our slides would stop when retracting. I waited several seconds, hit the manual switch again and they continued the operation. The same with my six point leveling system. 2 jacks stalled, I waited several seconds, pushed the outside manual controller again, they worked. The weather here has been in the high 20's at night and in the morning. When we were leaving, it had just started to warm up, so I would imagine my hydraulics were still very cold. This has happened several times in the past and each time it has been cold. I think Lippert even says things may act intermittently when it is cold. I don't use my remote for either operation.

Jim
ranch560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:21 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
If it is doing it with the on-board switches as well, resetting the remote board will not provide a solution. It is puzzling that the slides and the landing gear are exhibiting the same problem since they are independent systems. The only common denominator between the two as far as I know are the batteries, therefore your double checking them is a good first step. There have been many posts on replacing the auto-reset breaker in the battery compartment with either a larger breaker or doubled up in parallel that is connected to the slide circuit, but this will not help the intermittent operation of the landing gear. Sorry, that is the extent of my knowledge and it does not appear that it helps.
Bingo
Old 02-14-2013, 05:03 AM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv
... It is puzzling that the slides and the landing gear are exhibiting the same problem since they are independent systems....
Sorry Bingo but with the Level-up system, the jacks and the slides are all driven with the same hydraulic system (albeit a much larger reservoir).

I agree with the others who have experienced hesitation with the jacks or slides on a Level-up system. Cold weather does seem to cause this effect. It has been into the 20's at night here in AZ (I can't believe I left CA for AZ because it is warmer). One solution is to sleep in and not move until afternoon when things have warmed a bit. At least that is my choice.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:14 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Guess I should have read the topic line a little closer. I had no idea the discussion was about the Level-Up systems. I have absolutely no knowledge concerning them other than I wish someone would anonymously install one on our rig. Sorry for any confusion to the OP! Thanks Carl, for pointing this out.
Bingo
Old 02-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #8
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rahandrew

Recently traded in our 2010 3075 for new 2013 3582RL. Love it, except for problem of landing gear (LG) and jacks intermittently working. Take it to dealer, it works. Bring it home (155 mi. away) and likely as not experience problem. LG will start to work, stop, wait 5-10 min. will work again. Slides same. Not the thermal cut out switch, not the batteries (2 in parallel). Have found many similar problems on Forrest River RV blogs, but none on Montana (that I can find). Would like to hear from anyone who has had similar problem and fixed it, or any suggestions. Love the Montana, took our 3075 to Alaska in 2010 and to Newfoundland in 2011. Really would like to get problem solved so we can travel again.
Ralph,

Sound like the same problem I had on my 2010. Took to dealer three times, they replaced everything, and when I got home from picking it up, when half way up, and quit. I found the solution was to replace the Auto Reset breaker, with 100 Amp Auto Circuit breaker (manual reset). Never had any more problems since.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #9
rahandrew
Established Member

M.O.C. #13217
Thanks all for replying to our problem. John and Cindy, that may be a solution. From the photo, it looks like you replaced the cut out switch on the left with the 100A manual reset switch. The tech at service center pointed to one on the right of our RV as possible culprit. Could you elaborate on which one you changed. (Just so I can get the right one.)

Thanks again...
Old 02-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Bingo, I'll bet if you take your checkbook to Lippert they would make the installer remain anonymous! Jim
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Guess I should have read the topic line a little closer. I had no idea the discussion was about the Level-Up systems. I have absolutely no knowledge concerning them other than I wish someone would anonymously install one on our rig. Sorry for any confusion to the OP! Thanks Carl, for pointing this out.
Bingo
Old 02-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Jim, appreciate the thought, but I was thinking more along the lines of Santa sneaking under the rig at Christmas??
Bingo
Old 02-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #12
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rahandrew

Thanks all for replying to our problem. John and Cindy, that may be a solution. From the photo, it looks like you replaced the cut out switch on the left with the 100A manual reset switch. The tech at service center pointed to one on the right of our RV as possible culprit. Could you elaborate on which one you changed. (Just so I can get the right one.)

Thanks again...
Ralph,

Yes it was the one on the left, it goes to the battery, and also feed the one on the right. The two big wire between are ones I added for the Inverter. Here is another picture I found.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #13
rahandrew
Established Member

M.O.C. #13217
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Not a single suggestion from Montana nor Holiday World where I bought the unit, but your suggestions very helpful.

Here's solution: One battery tested "weak" on battery tester; changed battery, same problem. Bought 100 Amp manual reset button before noticing lugs were different size. Had my head in battery compartment and decided to try remote switch to see if could see anything. Happened to see spark up on the hydraulic motor lead that comes from the relay when I pressed remote button for jacks. Checked nut on wire and found it loose. Tightened nut, seemed to correct problem. We'll see.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #14
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
We had issues with our Level system (2013 3100RL) stopping-starting-stopping-starting in cold temps. As soon as we started the generator or plugged into shore power issue magically disappeared. As soon as we were in warm weather (50degrees+) issue completely disappeared and we no longer had to be plugged into a power source. I do not know about the 'cut out switch' but evidently the thicker hydraulic fluid is a little too much of a battery draw and causes it to cut out (keep in mind I am a total layman). Good luck finding out the issue.

BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote