Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2012, 02:35 AM   #1
BobBlooms
Established Member

M.O.C. #11900
Smell

Having a problem locating the source of a foul smell in my 2012 3700RL Big Sky. The smell is strongest in the area of the stairs going to the bedroom/bath area. It is not a constant odor. I contacted Keystone and they could not offer any solution. I am guessing that it has something to do with the grey water tanks so I have been putting a grey water odor control product into both grey water tanks. But the smell keeps coming back.

BobBlooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:42 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Depends on what it smells like. If your return air is under the stairs and it smells like something dead you may have a dead mouse. I don't have your model, but I looked up the floor plan. If it smells like a waste water problem it may be a vent that's stuck. Keystone uses self contained vents under the kitchen sink and maybe other places also. They are spring loaded and let air into the system so they don't have to vent out the roof. If the smell is also under your kitchen sink that's probably the cause. You might also check to see how they vented the other drains in that area.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:57 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
If you have a washer/dryer and use them, then this is mute,

But, if you have no washer/dryer, sometimes a nasty smell will come from that pipe area. Try a search here on the forum, or maybe someone has that link available.

Believe the answer was to run some water through there. We now have the washer/dryer, and my memory misfiled the exact procedures.

But, it worked when we had no washer/dryer and we did have the nasty smell. Believe we could smell it the most at the bathroom sink??
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:11 AM   #4
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
I have a 3400RL with the washer/dryer closet right inside the outside entry door. It is plumbed for the w/d, but not used. The water, both hot and cold, are stranded in the pipes to the faucets. This water would become stale and thus the odor. The smell was mainly as we would go up the stairs into the bedroom. Flush the water from the two lines, I used a bucket and ran about a half a gallon. The odor was gone within a few minutes. Good luck if this is the issue you are experiencing

bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:53 AM   #5
BobBlooms
Established Member

M.O.C. #11900
Checked up the Washer/Dryer spigots by allowing about a gallon of water to run out of each. I then put grey water ordor control down the discharge pipe.

Now some startling news. After cleaning the toilet bowl (I use Clorox Disinfecting Wipes to avoid putting unnecessary chemicals in to the black water tank) I ran some water into the tank and left the bathroom. At the top of the stairs I noticed the smell again. It appears to be coming in from the air return built into the stairs. Any thoughts on what could cause this?
Old 03-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Bob-- Are you flushing the Clorox Disinfecting Wipes down the stool when done disinfecting? These will not disintegrate like the regular toilet paper will and the disinfectant may be stopping the disintegration process of the waste and tp in the tank and the tank MAY be filling up with the towels which COULD cause the smell also. Just MHO or my guess! Let us know what you come up with!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
BobBlooms
Established Member

M.O.C. #11900
No to putting the wipes down the stool.

Found this interesting tid-bit

http://www.fulltime-rving.com/sewer-...tank-odor.html
Old 03-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
OK, let's try this then. Go on top of the unit and find the vent stack from the stool. If you find it, you can take the cover off and shove a hose down the vent pipe- first without water running- then if it is plugged, turn the hose on and blast the clog out. Be sure to keep the cover on the stool closed and the drain open when doing this. Also be ready to stand back IF it is plugged and just incase it should come back up the vent pipe! Yuck!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #9
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I had this problem last yr and mine was when the fantastic fan was running and the vent over the stool was open it would pull air back in from the vent on the roof. mine only did it when I ran the fantastic fan.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #10
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
we had a smell until we capped off the pipes that would go to the washer and dryer. there is a certan amount of water theat gets into those pipes and sits there and starts to smell..plus we no longer have to worry about winterizing those pipes since we have no washer and dryer. there was a place under the bathroom sink where the junction was
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:31 AM   #11
BobBlooms
Established Member

M.O.C. #11900
As so as the sun breaks over the horizon I will be up on the roof with my water hose. I will post my results.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:59 AM   #12
BobBlooms
Established Member

M.O.C. #11900
Finally got up on the roof and ran water down the stacks. In a 3700RL there are three stacks. Put water down all three. Ok, who knows which one goes to the black tank, grey tank 1, and grey tank 2? I have already did the nose test.