Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2016, 10:24 AM   #1
4blys
Established Member

M.O.C. #19093
Inverter on 3791rd

We have had our 3791rd plugged into the garage. My husband went to put in slides and they would not work. The fireplace would not work either. However the lights worked. He hooked the truck up to the camper and the slides came in. Checked breaker in the garage and camper and it was fine. What could have been the problem?

When should the inverter be on? Should we unplug the inverter when home? Thank you for your help. The 3791 is new to us!!

4blys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:21 AM   #2
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Your batteries were probably low or the disconnect is in the off position. There should be a charger/maintainer unless it's an older rig.

Mark
Old 12-14-2016, 11:31 AM   #3
4blys
Established Member

M.O.C. #19093
I apologize for our many questions but how come the slides would not operate on electric? Our camper is a 2017 3791rd.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:02 PM   #4
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 4blys

We have had our 3791rd plugged into the garage. My husband went to put in slides and they would not work. The fireplace would not work either. However the lights worked. He hooked the truck up to the camper and the slides came in. Checked breaker in the garage and camper and it was fine. What could have been the problem?

When should the inverter be on? Should we unplug the inverter when home? Thank you for your help. The 3791 is new to us!!
One thing you have to remember is that the fireplace runs on 110V and the lights and slide motors run on 12V, although you may have one or two 110V lights the majority run on 12V. For the fireplace to not work either the 110V breaker supplying it was tripped or perhaps you were not turning it on correctly.
The slide motors rely on the battery/batteries to operate, if the cut off switch was turned off then the converter would not be charging the batteries and the slides would not work with low voltage but as you indicate they did work when you plugged into the truck. That suggests to me the batteries were low and not being charged from your converter, the additional voltage/current from the truck allowed them to then work. Check the cut off switch, it must be on.
As far as the "inverter" which powers only your residential fridge, it also runs off the batteries and may have contributed to draining the batteries if it were on and the batteries were not receiving a charge from the "converter" by way of the cut off switch.

Your breaker box should indicate whether the fireplace is on it's own 110V circuit or not, sometimes it is hard to see that the breaker is actually tripped. You could try turning off and back on all the breakers in case it does not visually appear to be tripped.

I don't have a residential fridge but if you are not using/operating the fridge while in storage then I see no reason you cannot turn off the "inverter".

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:23 AM   #5
MAwolcott
Established Member

M.O.C. #19237
We have the 17 3791RD as well. Doing my walk through the tech specifically told me NOT to have the inverter on while plugged into shore power. Said it can burn up the inverter. Only use that during travel to keep the fridge going. As far as the slides; not sure what is going on there. The kitchen and dining slide operate off hydraulics and the rest are electric. As mentioned earlier, could have been low batteries, but wouldn't think so being it was plugged in; unless the battery switches were in the disconnect position. Remember, there are 2 switches on these; 1 in the convenience center and 1 inside the compartment holding the batteries.
MAwolcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:32 AM   #6
4blys
Established Member

M.O.C. #19093
Thank you both for the valuable information!! This helps a lot!
Old 12-15-2016, 12:14 PM   #7
dhartsparky

M.O.C. #19056
Where would one shut off the inverter when connected to shore power? At the inverter disconnect in the battery compartment or is there a switch on the inverter? Just wondering for when I pick my 3731FL up soon. Thanks
dhartsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 06:54 PM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MAwolcott

...Doing my walk through the tech specifically told me NOT to have the inverter on while plugged into shore power. Said it can burn up the inverter....
I call B.S on the tech. The inverter for the refer is designed to be on whether shore power is present or not. No shore power - it supplies 120V from the 12V batteries. If there is shore power - it allows the shore power 120V to pass through and the inverter is basically off. The tech doesn't understand the newer inverters. Ask any of the MOC members with solar systems how their inverters handle the presence of shore power.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:53 PM   #9
trustymopars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10812
Ours has a switch on the inverter, and a master cut-off for the inverter in the front compartment just above the batteries. JT.
trustymopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:55 PM   #10
MAwolcott
Established Member

M.O.C. #19237
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dhartsparky

Where would one shut off the inverter when connected to shore power? At the inverter disconnect in the battery compartment or is there a switch on the inverter? Just wondering for when I pick my 3731FL up soon. Thanks
There is a switch on the inverter.
MAwolcott is offline   Reply With Quote