Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2016, 02:02 PM   #1
The Erwins
Established Member

M.O.C. #18186
Bed Slide Leak!

Hello all I come seeking advice!! I have searched through the threads and nothing I have tried thus far has worked...

We have a 2010 345DBQ Mountaineer, since moving to Ketchikan, AK (#1 problem ) we have experienced leaks in all the slides to some degree, but this one has us truly stumped.

The bed slide gets VERY wet in the front corner between the bed and the closet, water then appears to run back down the slides front wall and begins to pooll and spread out along the outside wall. I have resealed the 4" trim piece along bottom and top of the outside wall as well as checked all other caulking. The eternabond on the top of the slide does have some wear and will be getting replaced as soon as the new materials arrive, but I fear that will not cure the problem as it would need to migrate from the outside wall down to the front corner.

My most educated guess at this point seems to be that water is getting pushed past the swiper seal and bottom seal as there is a small gap formed by the small "c" channel that runs behind the swiper seal.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS??? Or has anyone ever had an issue caused by this piece of channel that runs behind the swiper seal and elbows out at the bottom?

Any guidance much appreciated

The Erwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:25 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Yes, some folks have had that problem. I remember someone cut a hole for it and extended it and there were some other answers. It's been a few years, hopefully someone who did it will be along soon.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:20 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
If your rig has a window in the slide, and with the age of the rig, you may also have some shrinkage in the sealant used between the window flange and the outside wall material. We had the elusive leak a couple years ago in the large curb side slide, and that is where it was coming from, and barely a gap enough to slide a sheet of paper into. Good luck.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:48 PM   #4
The Erwins
Established Member

M.O.C. #18186
Thank you I will look into both of these, to be honest I didn't really give the window a thought, is it safe to simply clean up the tape sticking out from around the window and caulk over?
Old 01-23-2016, 07:26 AM   #5
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I am surprised you could not find it in the search function it has been talked about alot and has happened to me on my 2012 and it was the little one inch molding strip that goes along the bottom of the Bed slide(when it's out) and the square on the end the Factory missed a Little caulking there and that is all it takes but look all over your slides and make sure the caulking is all there
Old 01-23-2016, 04:40 PM   #6
The Erwins
Established Member

M.O.C. #18186
That was really the only thing I found using the search the function and after resealing it was not my issue.

I do think that I may have found it though! I believe that I have two issues.

1. The eternabond on the corner where the two pieces of angle come together was torn and after investigating found that water was finding its way beneath it.

2. I also believe that water is running/blowing its way between the swiper seal and the bottom seal where the small C channel elbows out.

I have fixed the eternabond and will monitor the other as I am not really sure how best to approach fixing it, besides cutting it as suggested and before doing so I want to verify it is a problem.

I appreciate everyones insight!!
Old 01-24-2016, 01:50 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Erwins

Thank you I will look into both of these, to be honest I didn't really give the window a thought, is it safe to simply clean up the tape sticking out from around the window and caulk over?
Yes, we had our rig in for something else and noticed the seal around our big back window was cracking. That's what the dealer did and it's been fine for a couple of years now.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:05 AM   #8
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
I was going to say check the boot on your antenna but then I reread your post and you stated it is in the slide itself. I had a leak and pulled all the angles and this and that, sealed what I could find that I thought would cause it to leak. THEN one day,I looked up on top of the slide and low and behold the top black roof swiper was up just a bit. Got to looking and there it was, DW's knickknack that she placed on top of the slide inside. No leaks since.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:33 PM   #9
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
I have replaced the bedroom slide floor as a result of the 4" moulding on the bottom of the slide. Water got behind this moulding and the design of this moulding allows water to sit on the bottom and wicks up to the floor and carpet. My floor was rotten on both outside corners and inward for about 4". At the time my Mountaineer was only 3 years old.. I am surprised you did not find it in the search as there were a number that had this problem, and probally a lot more out there that have not yet discovered the leak.
Joe
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:31 PM   #10
The Erwins
Established Member

M.O.C. #18186
The only thing I had found was mention of the 4" trim at the bottom so I promptly pulled the end caps off and recaulked the whole thing, unfortunately that did not solve my issue.

I can officially say after a wicked rain storm today that it looks like its all fixed!!! I did not pay close enough attention to the eternabond on the outside of the roof slide and it was leaking, in fact I now believe that all of my gripes about this trailer come from the eternabond wearing away both in the corners and at each screw head. 150' feet of new tape arrives tomorrow so its going to be a long weekend

Old 04-18-2016, 08:20 AM   #11
Joe in Texas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10881
2011 Montana......had leak that the carpet at head of bed got wet all the time.
Keystone checked twice in Elkhart at rally - not corrected.
Authorized dealer checked - not corrected...
My independant RV service tech checked - took all outside molding off - found very little chalking around molding - at some spots NONE. Resealed the molding and reassembled the panel.
HAVE NOT LEAK ONCE - even in heavy rain.
Joe in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:01 PM   #12
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Erwins

The only thing I had found was mention of the 4" trim at the bottom so I promptly pulled the end caps off and recaulked the whole thing, unfortunately that did not solve my issue.

I can officially say after a wicked rain storm today that it looks like its all fixed!!! I did not pay close enough attention to the eternabond on the outside of the roof slide and it was leaking, in fact I now believe that all of my gripes about this trailer come from the eternabond wearing away both in the corners and at each screw head. 150' feet of new tape arrives tomorrow so its going to be a long weekend

I used a solution of 2/3 water to 1/3 rubbing alcohol to clean,clean,clean,it cleans waxes and oils and dries fast. Those little holes will suck in a lot of water! Good luck with your fix.

Mark

Old 04-20-2016, 10:53 AM   #13
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Two things to check.
The 4 inch wide band along bottom outside of bedide, if it has seperated from wall, re seal.
On roof , check the small rubber boot that seals the antenna coax , they will move and allow water to come in, shows up as wet floor between bed and closet.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:03 PM   #14
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Wow Mark, a 150 foot of Eternabond! Are you wrapping the whole unit in it?
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 05:44 AM   #15
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Wow Mark, a 150 foot of Eternabond! Are you wrapping the whole unit in it?
I'm not sure why, but that's a quote from the Erwins, my reply is included at the bottom wishing them luck. I agree, he should be good on his supply of Eternanbond.

Mark
Old 05-15-2019, 06:59 PM   #16
kbabb72
Established Member

M.O.C. #5794
Send a message via AIM to kbabb72 Send a message via MSN to kbabb72
Same with us! Just replaced ourselves for under $100
kbabb72 is offline   Reply With Quote