Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2015, 02:35 AM   #1
Susan M
Established Member

M.O.C. #17279
Backup Camera

Hi Everyone. We bought a new 2016 3791RD and have been in it traveling for work for about five weeks. We were in a rush when we picked it up (our mistake) to get to the next jobsite. The dealer handed us the box for the backup camera, and we were on our way. Since then we have tried several times to pair the backup camera to the unit with no luck. I have read the manual many times thinking I am missing a step somewhere. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas we can try? We still have a few more weeks before we can get it to a dealer. I'm thinking it can be an easy fix, just not sure what to try next.

Susan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:45 PM   #2
chris199
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17167
I know this sounds silly but make sure power cutoff switch is allowing power to rig when pairing. Often we will travel with power shutoff to rig and camera will not turn on.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 01:55 PM   #3
Former StClairSailor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17151
We purchased a new 2015 Mountaineer 310RET in March. The dealer wired the backup camera power to the trailer lights. The camera wouldn't work unless we had the lights on. Good luck with resolving your issue.

John & Laura___& Bentley
2017 Montana 3950BR
2015 GMC Sierra Denali Dually
Former StClairSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 03:02 PM   #4
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
My first camera and monitor would not pair up. This does not seem to be to unusual in new Keystone RV's. My replacement does work ok. It will depend how they wired the camera to get power. My unit was wired to only have power when hooked to the truck and the truck in reverse. It is now wired to have power when ever the parking lights are on. This works ok for us as we are not usually driving in the dark. If it bothers us I can just shut the monitor off. Some people say that the camera can quit working if it is on to long.

Tom Marty
Old 10-05-2015, 11:12 AM   #5
craigb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14426
Susan, what make is the camera/monitor?
craigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:17 PM   #6
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I have 2 buddies with SOB's with the same Furion back up camera and they have issues with them too so join the club, they both have garbage Furion TV's and DVD players that are acting up as well
Old 10-06-2015, 12:26 PM   #7
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Same trailer only the 3790 and same issues.... gave up on it. Not all that necessary anyway
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:56 PM   #8
YOPPER
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6547
Furrion is saying Keystone is wiring plug and play bracket on camera wrong. Camera not designed to run full time
YOPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:44 AM   #9
mitchlakind
Established Member

M.O.C. #17798
Hello all - We purchased a 2015 3402RL a few months back and have never had a working backup camera, despite the dealerships best attempts, along with help from Keystone. So, being the IT guy I took it upon myself to research the issue with help from the manufacturer - Furrion. The dealership and Keystone refused to call them for some reason.

What I discovered was that the model that Keystone has been installing is the FRC12TA-BL. This unit is designed only to work when the tow vehicle is put in reverse and has a wireless range limit of 30 feet. Our 3402RL is 40 feet long and our 2015 Ram 3500 is almost 20 feet long. Even taking into account that the 5th wheel sits in 4 feet into the bed, the camera theoretically does not have the power to connect to the in cab screen.

I made several attempts to have the dealer or Keystone take back the camera based on the fact the camera is not supported by the manufacturer for the distances created by the installation, and refund me the retail price of $399. I also informed the dealer of the specs that Furrion's web site stated and that they needed to inform Keystone of this.

Finally, after 2 months Keystone agreed to replace the camera with the more advance model - FOS48TA-BL camera. This camera has a range of 100 feet, and both the camera and screen have an antenna on it. Furthermore, the system allows the camera to be engaged in either reverse only or full time (acting like a rear view mirror). This system is $100 more from Furrion and Keystone agreed to pay for the system and the installation by the dealer.

The only caveat to this was that I had to pay for it first and submit the receipt to the dealer for reimbursement.

I suggest you all look at the model that was installed on your RV and verify if you have the one designed with the 30 foot range limit.
mitchlakind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:08 AM   #10
mitchlakind
Established Member

M.O.C. #17798
Well.. we finally got our RV back from our dealer. They were able to successfully install the model, the FOS48TA-BL, get it paired and wire it so it's on full time. This is not what I expected and am happy with the results, however the camera itself is wired in such a way that only the battery disconnect shuts it down. I might go back and rewire it to the 7-pin connector for obvious reasons.

So, if your RV is longer than 30', I highly suggest you point out to your dealer and Keystone that the model you have installed (assuming you have the 30' limited model) is the wrong one for the size of your RV. Insist on them replacing it with the 100' model as I did.
mitchlakind is offline   Reply With Quote