Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
AC cleaning?

It time to do some cleaning on the AC unit! Turned the unit on and the compressor started but the fan just hummed. Before any damage was done I shut it down immediately. After removing the in side cover and giving the fan a spin the AC unit started up. ( of course the power was turned off doing this ). But I need to give it a good cleaning, how do I access the squirrel cage fan? It's a Dometic 1500 on my 05 camper.

Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:28 AM   #2
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Try looking here;
http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas...ation-Manuals/
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:14 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I don't know if this can be done from the interior, but I've been known to climb up on the roof, unscrew the outer cover and brush or vacuum things clean. I think I've done this three times in 8 years of ownership. This is also a good time to check the drain that it's not clogged and will cause any water to overflow into the interior. Fortunately we don't drive away often so it's usually pretty clean, mostly dust bunnies. Watch out for hornets and wasps. It might require a couple of trips up there - one to find out what tools are needed, another to fetch the tools. If it helps, I recall I used a phillips screwdriver for the cover and a handheld vacuum and a rag to wipe down clean the unit.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:17 AM   #4
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
My procedure is to remove the topside cover and use a water hose to thoroughly clean the vanes and rinse away all the accumulated leaves and dirt on an annual basis- This must be done when the AC unit is not working to preclude a possible electric shock- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:29 AM   #5
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
You may find the start capacitor on the fan motor is shot and needs to be replaced. If cleaning does not help replace the capacitor.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:28 AM   #6
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
when ours did that a few years ago, thought motor was bad,dealer spun it by hand,used a little WD40 on shaft and has not failed since. but if it does again in the spring, I will do the same thing
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:55 AM   #7
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
[quote]Originally posted by awaywego

You may find the start capacitor on the fan motor is shot and needs to be replaced. If cleaning does not help replace the capacitor.

On a 05 unit if it was mine I would replace the Capacitors
Once you get the ratings off the capacitors you can purchase from local Motor Repair Shop
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:42 AM   #8
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Right now I'm thinking I just need to remove the squirrel cage fan clean the blades and oil the bearings. If I'm thinking right the starter capacitor is there to help the compresser start? I don't want to tear into it at this CG but will at our next stop, I'm looking for a starting point to get at the in side blower fan?
Old 03-04-2014, 04:48 AM   #9
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Take the top cover off, the indoor fan is inclosed in a metal housing that will have metal screws to remove the top half of the fan housing. There should be a self sticking gasket between the removable cover and the base of the fan housing. Be careful when separating the two pieces so as not to destroy the gasket. TURN THE ELECTRIC OFF BEFORE COMMENCING THE WORK. As far as washing the indoor fan wheel, be most careful as water can flow into your trailer. But once you get that far you will see your options. Enjoy
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:13 AM   #10
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Thanks Ole Dude thats the insight I was looking for. I'm thinking this job should be on our bi-annual maintaince to do list.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:01 AM   #11
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Opened up the AC unit to clean the squirrel cage fan that supplies the inside air. What I found was one motor that runs the squirrel cage and the same motor drive the outside fan that moves air over the out side coil. I tried to remove the motor which would also remove both fans, but my 9yr old hardware wouldn't bust loose without the possibility of twisting off a bolts. So went to plan B and tried to remove the build up on the squirrel cage fan with a brush and my air compressor, which worked but didn't give me a thorough cleaning. Oh yes to do so there is a panel you need to remove above the fan. After putting the panel back on I hosed the rear AC coil off with air then water. Hope this may help other with this maintenance problem!