Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2012, 04:59 AM   #1
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Frigid shower water

I think I have seen posts/fixes regarding this issue before though can't locate a thread on it now.

After using the button on the shower head to turn off the water flow the water will freeze you out when turning it back on. This being only after a few seconds of no water flow. (not enough time for the water to cool off).

bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I don't think there is a fix. unless you leave the water running. Maybe that oxygenonic(sic) shower head may be better. someone here will answer that
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #3
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
Had the same problem. The shower head does not sut off the water completely and it backs up into the hot water line (not sure how). Solved the problem by installing a valve between the shower hose and the valve body that completely shuts off the shower head. It must be a valve that completely shuts it off. Most of them allow a little water to pass and it will not work. Also installed the Oxygenetics shower head, Works great. Hope this helps.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I think it is the check valve on the hot water heater. I had the same problem on my 2001 and the check went bad so I left it out until I could get another and the problem stopped until I put another check valve in. You need the check valve so when you winterize the antifreez will not go backwards into the water heater.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We've had that issue since it was new. I use the cold water to rinse my wash cloth and then the water is warm enough to rinse me.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Same as DQDick ... owned 3 different Montanas ... all 3 from day one had a bit of "suprise" when you shut off the water with the shower head only.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
When I shut off the showerhead I also shut off the cold water faucet. Then right before I turn the showerhead back on I return the cold water handle back to the location I always use (I've memorized it and I don't have to move it much). This causes the water to be hot for a very short period of time but I prefer this to the cold water blast.

In my rig, for whatever reason the cold water has more pressure than the hot water (or it sure seems this way), so the longer you keep the showerhead off, the better chance of the cold water pushing itself into the long shower hose past the valve and maybe even back up the hot water line. Then when the showerhead is reopened the hot water will eventually make it back to the shower head. In the meantime, BRRRRR...

Jwedell - I agree the fact the showerhead does not completely shut off may have something to do with it but can you provide more info on what you did, bought or installed? It seems like this would solve the problem with any showerheard. One of these days a new Oxygenics would be nice to improve the spray but not until I can solve the cold water or hot water blasts.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
At first I went to home depot and bought a shower valve. It screwed onto the end of the shower hose and the shower head screwed into it, however it still passed a little water and did not work. I then went to a plumbing supply house and ordered a shower valve with a positive shut off and it did the trick. It is a small chrome inline quarter turn valve designed to shut off the shower head. If I can help anyone further just ask.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #9
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
With an Oxegenic shower head no need to shut off
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #10
rgrpmr
Established Member

M.O.C. #8802
Same problem here. I installed a check valve on the hot water line underneath just before the line gets to the shower. It fixed the problem.

Rob
rgrpmr is offline   Reply With Quote