Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Power Awning Problem

Heavy rain yesterday afternoon for a few hours. Got home (Fulltiming) today and tried to deploy awning and got nothing. Checked fuse and found it blown. Replaced it with a new 15A fuse and tried again and another blown fuse. Has something in the awning electrical system gotten wet and shorting out?

I need to get this corrected ASAP since our 2012 3585SA arrived at dealer today and we are scheduled to PDI and close next Wednesday.

Thanks for any help/ideas.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
I don't see a problem since its in the stowed position. Let the "dealer" handle it.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:14 PM   #3
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
If they don't check it before they accept it it's there problem. They can't come back after you for it. A friend of mine is a car dealer and said they do expect there will be some problems that they will have to fix.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Pineranch and Hookman thanks for your replies, but not exactly the response I had hoped for.

I really prefer to sleep at night! Anybody have any serious ideas?

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
This isn't the answer you're looking for, but to back up what's already ben said ... turn out the lights, shut off the TV, and catch some zzzzzzzzzzzzzz for the next few nights. Come Wednesday, focus on your new purchase as to what does and doesn't work. If you feel you have to point out the awning issue do so. It won't make a hill of beans as far as your trade in value. For example, each time I've traded for a new fiver, I've had add-ons like JT stabilizers, exra hydraulic valving to enable each slide to deploy individually, and a Glide Ride pin box. Each time I asked if I could keep my add ons or would it affect the trade-in value ... answer both times by two different dealers ... keep them if you want as your fiver is in excellent condition and we'll have no trouble selling it with or without.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:19 AM   #6
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
Just had our 2011 with Dometic awning quit working and after checking for voltage from switch/control board and 13.2 volts to the plug at the motor and a call to Dometic they said they seldom have a motor problem. Called mobile repair tech and they found the motor was bad and said they see a lot of bad motors. Lucky for us it has a 2 year warranty and will get replaced this week. Save yourself some time checking wires, switches and grounds and do as they did and just use a battery and jumper wire and touch the connection where the motor plugs into the motor at the end of the awning tube, if it does not go in or out it's the motor.
jliveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:01 AM   #7
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
WE BE,
Since you didn't post your given name, WE BE it is. The response was not to get you to commit fraud but to move on past the awning problem since it will probably not be resolved by your trade deadline (parts, troubleshooting, etc). Mentioning your new found awning problem to the dealer rep will most likely do the trick. Sleeping better is a personal choice we all have to make from time to time.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:56 AM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We have a 08 Big Sky 340 RLQ and it has a Carefree of Colorado electric awning. Very different from the A&E on later models. The motor is on one end, usually the end by the front of the vehicle. there are two tabs on the housing that look like the ends of cotter pins. Take a 12 volt battery and connect the wires to those points. it it jerks against the rig then flip the wires and it will come out. If this pops a fuse or the breaker on your 12 volt supply then there is a short in the motor or motor housing. It is very to get at and replace unlike the A&E brand whose motor is inside the tube. If the motor works with this method then there is a short between the awning and the rig. I hope this helps..
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:57 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Is there a lock of some sort on the power awning? (I don't have one) Another thing to try is to grab the top and pull down as someone tries the switch with a new fuse, it just may be jammed in position.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:36 AM   #10
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
nope, the motors act as the lock, and gravity holds them down when opening.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #11
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
100% agree!!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

I don't see a problem since its in the stowed position. Let the "dealer" handle it.
Mike
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote