Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2023, 10:04 AM   #21
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by rames14 View Post
Foldbak, we have had the Travl’r and G3. Both were roof mounted. I wanted the Travl’r this time but no room with our Solar. You will definitely get better signal strength with the Travl’r, but it is more expensive. If you switch later, the price to go to DirecTV is higher. When I switched from Direct to Dish, I was happy that I had the G3 because it works with either by moving one DIP switch. Wi ringing with KeyTV is an issue with the carry out antennas. They lack the signal strength that SWM type antennas like the Travl’r have. I had to run a cable direct from Dish to Receiver. Even a straight cable from the convenience center to the receiver with a single barrel connector didn’t work. Your finances (anything can be done, just add money), your wants and where you camp will lead you to the right solution for you. If you camp in trees a lot, stay away from the roof mounts. We camp in many places that don’t have any cell service. Dish works great, until you go too far north. Also, we spend about 6 months a year in our camper, so we have different needs/wants. If I camped a few weeks at a time, not streaming or catching games might not be an issue. Our son is a Senior Athletic Trainer for an NFL team. We like to catch his games, so that means good Internet because it isn’t a local team. Again, everyone’s needs are different. Best of luck with your investment. We learned the hard way that cellular options didn’t work for us. Still thinking about YouTube in the long run.
I'm considering this. DISH Tailgater Pro Premium Satellite Antenna. Unless you suggest something else.
I understand that it's powered through the cable and that a 50 foot run is max. So if I use a 30 cable and connect to the KeyTV in the wet bay, will that work?

Old 08-17-2023, 04:48 PM   #22
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
I'm leaning towards a Dish system. Now what dam Dish to buy? Why do that have so many options....
I have been very happy with Pathway X2 antenna.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 06:14 PM   #23
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We have Dish. They send us several Emails over a period of a couple of months saying we would start to lose programming because our equipment was old and we needed to upgrade. So we upgraded and while they were here we asked about the 211 receiver in the camper. Oh no worry you will still have all of your Chanels. Oh really why would the receiver in the house be affected and not the one in the camper. How does it know the difference? Can we say bovine fertilizer?
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 07:09 PM   #24
stever53
Established Member

M.O.C. #29445
Which one

Hi Toni, we just went through kinda the same thing. We went with dish, purchased the tailgater with two Wally’s pay as you go. We like our tv so we got the package for About $120 a month when we activated it. We since have moved to Starlink, we pay $150 when we activate it. You can pause service when you’re not camping like dish so your basically month to month. We cut the cable and went to YouTube tv very happy with it. We haven’t had any problems with Starlink so far, internet and tv streaming like we’re at home.
One more thing, cost for Dish equipment and the Starlink equipment about the same.
Good luck with your decision.
Safe travels
Steve.
2015 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SWB
stever53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 08:32 PM   #25
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Tony, I believe the only one that works with KeyTV is the Travl’r. My G3 is mounted on the roof. The cable comes into the roof, down behind the cap and up through the slide to the receiver.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 09:46 PM   #26
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
My Dish friends tell me you need a Hopper if you want it to work with KeyTV (and even then the wiring is likely to get you).

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 07:52 AM   #27
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Why is watching TV so dam hard
Old 08-18-2023, 11:57 AM   #28
JNLVaughn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #29819
We have DISH and KeyTv. We wired our satellite direct...KeyTv is crap and could never get to work. Wiring direct it's perfect.
We have 2021 3791RD
Old 08-18-2023, 12:24 PM   #29
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Tony,

Just run a dedicated line to your receiver. No need to use the wiring built into the rig.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 02:16 PM   #30
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Tony - I was reading a thread about Dish over on IRV2 forum and came across this post from a few weeks ago…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1636.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	15239  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 06:06 PM   #31
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
Tony - I was reading a thread about Dish over on IRV2 forum and came across this post from a few weeks ago…
Thanks for that info Mike. I plan on calling Dish this weekend and get the scoop. Starlink and YouTube are looking better......The more I research the more confused I get. I just don't trust any of these companies...

I'm planning on retiring Feb so I need to be $ conscious
Old 08-19-2023, 06:12 PM   #32
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
I just finished talking to Dish. I was so shocked I had to ask several times.

$109 a month for 120 package including NFL package and ESPN.
$5 a month for outdoor package
I will get the same service on the road. Sounds to good to be true.
Old 08-19-2023, 06:22 PM   #33
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Good for you! I think you will enjoy Dish.
I am retiring in 20 months (maybe sooner if this 36 yr old “whiz kid” project executive keeps pissing me off). I plan to give Starlink and YouTube TV a closer look.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 07:39 AM   #34
AZMont
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26281
I really like the picture with the dish unit on a pole attached to the RV ladder. What product is that? Can you install it without climbing the ladder once the retaining assembly is in place at the top of the RV ladder?
AZMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 09:28 AM   #35
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZMont View Post
I really like the picture with the dish unit on a pole attached to the RV ladder. What product is that? Can you install it without climbing the ladder once the retaining assembly is in place at the top of the RV ladder?
Flag poll buddy.
https://www.amazon.com/Flagpole-Budd...61729318&psc=1
Not sure what he's using for the pole.
Old 08-20-2023, 11:18 AM   #36
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Which one?

I would like some input as to which dish to buy. My needs are for 2 TV's and that the KeyTv sat input works at both TV's. I really don't want wires laying around the camp site. If anyone has had success with this please share.

My understanding it that with Dish I'll need 2 Wally receivers. Also I can't exceed 50 feet in cable length with the King. If I use 30 foot cables will it provide power through the KeyTv? Someone said there's a power injector. Which dish uses it, King or Winegard? The Winegard provides a 25 feet cable. Is that the max for power?

Thanks in advance!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...H83YSA2LG&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DKIKX0DER&th=1
Old 08-20-2023, 12:35 PM   #37
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
I have been a Dishnetwork customer at my home for >25 years. When I bought my Monty, I negotiated a King Tailgater and a Wally receiver into the deal. I haven't used it in a while because most places we go for any length of time have really good cable. Since I'm a Dish customer, I can turn the Wally on/off as often as I like. It used to be $5.00 for a month (minimum length of time), setup can be done over the phone or with their app which is much easier, you just need the zip code where you are camping. If you're camping in a wooded area, that can be detrimental.

The power injector is built into the Wally, at least on mine. It supplies a low DC voltage to the dish for the sole purpose of driving the little servo in the dish to make it move from 1 satellite to another. Due to it's size the portable dishes can only pick up 1 satellite at a time. The instructions say to point the handle on the dish due north and will self align based on what channel you select. My King has dual outputs, I've only used one though. There is one caveat that might or might not be an issue for you: Since it can only pick up one satellite at a time, you are limited to channels on that particular satellite and there are many, if you add another receiver. If you're watching a ball game on ESPN and the spouse wants to watch a Hallmark movie, it won't work unless they're sourced from the same satellite. I haven't looked but there should be a listing somewhere listing channels available on any given satellite, might be a good thing to print out and keep with you.

Trying to make your on board wiring work with a portable dish could be extremely frustrating. I've spent days trying to map mine out with no success. The raw satellite signal from the dish to receiver is very sensitive and any splitters, couplers must be rated for 2.5 Mhz, they recommend using RG6 quad shield coax and compression type fittings. My rig has an outdoor TV in a slide and the TV in the living room is directly behind it. I'm going to try to install an inlet port somewhere in the slide and could easily split and feed it inside, we rarely use the TV in the bedroom. The distribution for my crank up antenna and park cable work very well and I really don't want to mess with that system.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 02:53 PM   #38
Mingus Pirate

M.O.C. #32843
For years we had DTV at $140+ per month.. Then we retired and decided we could spend our money on other things. We ditched cable. On the sticks and bricks I made a mast of two rigid 10' conduits and put on end over a piece of rebar, and attached the midpoint over the coupler to the eve. We put an antenna good to 100 miles. Currently we receive 66 digital broadcast channels. We have internet through pretty much the only game in town. We use ROKU for streaming and have all the television and internet we want. For the RV we use the new low profile Winguard and ROKU with Tracfone for a hot spot should we want to watch a movie. Costs are $75/month for internet at home. Tracfone is $20/month.
Mingus Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 04:27 PM   #39
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
I would like some input as to which dish to buy. My needs are for 2 TV's and that the KeyTv sat input works at both TV's. I really don't want wires laying around the camp site. If anyone has had success with this please share.

My understanding it that with Dish I'll need 2 Wally receivers. Also I can't exceed 50 feet in cable length with the King. If I use 30 foot cables will it provide power through the KeyTv? Someone said there's a power injector. Which dish uses it, King or Winegard? The Winegard provides a 25 feet cable. Is that the max for power?

Thanks in advance!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...H83YSA2LG&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DKIKX0DER&th=1

Bumping this post
Old 08-21-2023, 08:41 AM   #40
Kfinnert
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32153
Good morning - I might as well jump in with more information.

We have done as PA Alpine Owner had, we went to T-Mobile and obtained a 5G home internet and we use an Amazon Firestick to stream videos and games from home. I always need to locate T-Mobile Towers using their app, but that is easy too.

Unless you are touching a satellite; I have found that the reliability of the signal will always depend upon the distance to the nearest tower and the number of persons accessing it.

We are considering Starlink for several reasons. The primary reason, you can suspend service, thereby costs, until you hit the road again! Nonetheless, it has it issues too.

This article is a great discussion of satellite vs mobile internet services https://www.satelliteinternet.com/re...k-roam-review/

I have been down this rabbit hole many times with RVing friends as we sit around the campfire. I am looking forward to hearing how this exploration ends!!! I am always looking for a better option too!

Cheers
Kfinnert is offline   Reply With Quote