Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2004, 04:26 PM   #1
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
Flying fender on 335RLBS

There is a magnificent design fault with the wheel fenders on the off side of the 335RLBS Mountaineer. Most of the plastic fender is firmly screwed to the slideout BUT there is an overhang of about 12 inches at the front which just hangs there waiting for wind and bumps to send it flying.

Ours went for a trip on its own just south of Truro Nova Scotia (now replaced as a warranty job). They don't fly very well being attracted to oncoming tractor/trailers - plastic Montana roadkill

I'm thinking of reinforcing with a wood strut from the slide frame. Anyone have any thoughts about this? Done it? Seen anything that might help?

Actually it did me a favour - long story but without the fender I could just wiggle into a very tight site with the utility post UNDER the slide in Halifax Nova Scotia (there was a tree between the two slides just to add to the fun)! I will eventually post pictures on our website.

DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 04:56 PM   #2
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi Guys,
Yep, same problem.
Our Dealer cut a piece of aprox. 1/16" aluminum to the shape of the underside of the un-supported fender. Then it was cemented to the back side of the fender using an epoxy cement. They then re-installed fender. The new Alum. piece wound up to be about 3" longer than the un-supported area so it is firmly attached to the solid part of the slide. One of the fender screws actually goes through the Alum. into the slide. A person could still walk into it and break it but I'm no longer worried about passing trucks ripping it off.
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 09:03 AM   #3
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I plan to rivet a piece of aluminium angle to it to stiffen it some.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 01:34 PM   #4
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I have had the same problem with my 335 about a year ago. My dealer called the factory and the sent a sectioned new fender specially desinged to fix the design flaw. It now has a two piece that looks really great and does not flap on the highway. The old one was actually sucked off the side of the trailer in Knoxville TN when an 18 wheeler passed by. Hope your fix works as well.

Best regards.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote