Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Do you have a Pyrometer?

You should get one if not.
Funny name? Blame the Greeks, Pyro means fire and then there’s the meter word.
The non-contact of our Infrared Pyrometers is a real asset when using the device. In my HVAC trade, it was my most used tool.

People would ask what is the air temperature coming out of the vent, I wasn’t actually measuring the air temperature, just the surface of the diffuser, grill, or cooler wall. The air temperature was not being taken, but if the system was running for a while, the air would cool, or heat the object to approximately the same temperature.
The lens of the device focuses the IR energy to a detector, which converts the energy into an electrical signal that is displayed in units of Fahrenheit or Celsius. This is all compensated for the ambient temperature by the instrument. If it’s 110 degrees, or 10 degrees, doesn’t matter to the compensated instrument, it just displays the surface temperature of what you are wanting to read.
Here are my two units: http://tinyurl.com/838nz8w
I check my tires when I stop at a rest stop, it’s interesting that the front tires are cooler than the rear tires. That is because the rear tires have much more weight from the fifth wheel. The side facing the Sun are hotter than the shade side because of the Sunlight on the black tires. You can get a good idea of your tires’ health with practice.
There are so many uses for the instrument, for instance I check the breakers with it, you can tell much about loads and overloads with it. Loose wires, over-amping of a circuit, bad breakers and such.
You can check the temperature rise of your furnace, and the temperature drop of the cooling system.
You don’t have to get the professional model, Radio Shack sells a neat small one, as do many companies. Their prices are reasonable.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=4288088
Here are a variety of models: http://tinyurl.com/GiantSelectionOf-them
If you want to know more, try this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared_thermometer

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:11 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Stole one we don't use at the store and use it for just what you're suggesting. Don't remember what it cost, but it wasn't very expensive and it sure beats sticking your hand on a bearing to see how hot it is.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Thanks Ozz, as a matter of fact we bought one last year to add the the Montana inventory and thanks to your post I have learned a few more uses for it. Will shoot the breakers this spring when we get rolling. Ours was an inexpensive gun type of model and we are pleased with it's performance, $39. Canadian if I remember correctly.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
We use one to check the temps of our wheels on both the truck and Monty immediately after we stop at the campground, rest area, etc to measure the differences...if one is 10-15 degrees hotter than the others then we know which one is dragging the most or applying the most braking for the unit...usually they are within about 5 degrees of each other if all is adjusted evenly...it is amazing how hot things do get...especially on the truck front rotors....plus we use it for a lot of other things as well...
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #5
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I have had a Raytek Ranger for over 10 years like others I check Tire and Bearing temps
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Unlike the DQ guy, I choose not to "stole one" so you just cost me another $100, thanks bro!!!
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You will be a better man for it Mikey....
Old 01-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #8
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Dang it Ozz! I love gadgets and now I'll have to add this to my list! Well, I won't feel too bad about buying it as it's a practical gadget.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #9
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Yes I do.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Didn't know it was called that. But did buy one from Harbor Freight last year for something under $30 on sale if I recall correctly. Use it to check tire and hub temps. Wasn't too concerned about absolute accuracy. Mainly wanted to check if any tire/hub was significantly hotter than the others indicating a problem there.
laser thermometer from HF
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

Unlike the DQ guy, I choose not to "stole one" so you just cost me another $100, thanks bro!!!
Mike
The Lindy Corporation that owns the store allows me to steal from time to time. Of course it might have to do with my tremendous contributions to the stores success over the years, or the fact that since we retired at the first of the year we're working the same shifts we used to for $25 a week, but most likely it's because Joyce and I own 100% of the stock.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dick, Mike is joking, I'm just glad he isn't picking on me now
As to the name Pyrometer, I just dug it up in some research, I call it an Infrared gadget...
Old 01-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #13
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I wasn't offended, just having fun in return.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #14
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
People would ask what is the air temperature coming out of the vent, I wasn’t actually measuring the air temperature, just the surface of the diffuser, grill, or cooler wall. The air temperature was not being taken, but if the system was running for a while, the air would cool, or heat the object to approximately the same temperature.

Ozz, I am shocked. A man of your talents and profession, and you didn't use a really fancy, whiz bang digital readout, high tech hand held thermometer? I'll bet you had one........I did for the high rise building I ran. I just loved it when a person would complain, and show me the temp they were getting at their desk, with their $5.00 Walmart thermometer, and would doubt the accuracy of my $300.00, yearly calibrated hand held unit! Of course, I had the infra-red one too........and would tell the person to "chill".....they were getting to "hot under the collar"....!!
I had 31 years there, I could say that......!!!
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:54 AM   #15
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I use mine on the wife to see if she's still mad at me. It's better than asking!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:02 AM   #16
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I used one daily at the race track. We used it to check the heat in our tires which actually gave you what was wrong with our setup. Also it was good for having an engine problem. If you had a miss you could actually check the exhaust temp on each cylinder to see what cylinder had the problem. It would check a lot cooler than the rest. When I sold the race car and parts with it I sold my expensive pyrometer feeling I would never need it again.

I now own a $29.00 unit from Harbor Frieght and it works just as well. So don't go out and buy an expensive one, its not neccesary for the things we use them on now.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:07 AM   #17
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Dick, Mike is joking, I'm just glad he isn't picking on me now
As to the name Pyrometer, I just dug it up in some research, I call it an Infrared gadget...
Heck Ozz, I just thought he couldn't spell "sold" or it was a typo. Did't mean to cause any irritation. !
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:26 AM   #18
emdavis
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4606
being a mechanic for many years, i also have a heat gun and use it when traveling with the monty. i never thought about using it on the wife to check her mood, but i might have to.
emdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:50 AM   #19
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TAKPAK

Ozz, I am shocked. A man of your talents and profession, and you didn't use a really fancy, whiz bang digital readout, high tech hand held thermometer? I'll bet you had one........I did for the high rise building I ran. I just loved it when a person would complain, and show me the temp they were getting at their desk, with their $5.00 Walmart thermometer, and would doubt the accuracy of my $300.00, yearly calibrated hand held unit! Of course, I had the infra-red one too........and would tell the person to "chill".....they were getting to "hot under the collar"....!!
I had 31 years there, I could say that......!!!
I can relate! It is more impressive to go to the area they were complaining about and check the diffuser with the Lazier turned on, the floor manager controls the setting for heat and cooling, so when the gals at the desks complain, we make a show of checking the output, even when we don't actually do anything. I have installed dummy thermostats for the ladies to fiddle with. Also have mounted thermostats in return ducts, leave the fan on all the time to even the air out.
I bet you used some of these tricks as well. We work for the person paying the bill
Old 01-16-2012, 02:57 AM   #20
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

I use mine on the wife to see if she's still mad at me. It's better than asking!
Thanks for the morning smile, we learn something every day!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote