Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
drylaarsdam

M.O.C. #6175
Electrical Running Lights

The running lights on my 2003 Montana 31 Ft failed. The wire between the box in the hitch pin area and the trailer is the problem. Any suggestions on how to access the wire to replace it. The area between the hitch pin and the lower frame is the problem.

drylaarsdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I "thought" I had a bad lead wire between the J-box right behind the pin box and the first connection near the front storage area on my old 2005 2850RK. I tried to pull a new wire from the J-box to the front storage by soldering a new wire to the old and pulling it on thru. It's best just to use a fish tape and snake another wire back towards the front storage compartment as there are seemingly several wire ties or tape holding the original wire loom together. I never could get it past the first wire tie even with minimal electrical tape at the joint. On top of that ... turned out not the be the wire after all.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I have to assume that you have checked for power for lights at your truck plug? also do your trailer tail lights work? Another thing to look for is a bad ground. do your turn signals on the trailer work normal or do you see a "bleed" from one to the other? that is a sign of a bad ground.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
drylaarsdam

M.O.C. #6175
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by racerjoe

I have to assume that you have checked for power for lights at your truck plug? also do your trailer tail lights work? Another thing to look for is a bad ground. do your turn signals on the trailer work normal or do you see a "bleed" from one to the other? that is a sign of a bad ground.
Yes, the other lights/brakes work. The problem started with a short in the hot wire from the truck to the trailer battery. It melted the insulation on that wire and I suspect it also melted the running light wire insulation causing the short in the running lights.I know the truck connection works because it causes the truck fuse to blow. That is why I need to replace the wire, just cannot figure out how to get it from the j box to the front compartment.
drylaarsdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
I believe I am correct in saying the tail lights and running lights are on the same wire. So if your tail lights work I would presume the wire is ok. Have you checked the clearnce light bulbs? could they have shorted out? also did you check for power with a meter at the lights themselves? I am not trying to be all knowing but it does not make sense if the tail light work. You could also put a jumper wire on your trailer plug from bat. power to tail lights and see what works. that would put the truck out of the system.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
tomd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5075
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by drylaarsdam

The running lights on my 2003 Montana 31 Ft failed. The wire between the box in the hitch pin area and the trailer is the problem. Any suggestions on how to access the wire to replace it. The area between the hitch pin and the lower frame is the problem.
I have a 2003 Montana 2955. The fuse for the running lights and tail lights are different. On my 2006 Ford, the fuse is on the inside fuse panel below the light switch. I have it marked in the manual, but can't tell you which fuse it is without looking. I didn't notice what kind of Tv you have, but if I can be of any help, let me know.
tomd is offline   Reply With Quote