Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I did, then it didn't

Dianna washed one load and dried it in our Ariston Dryer. The next load did not dry. It was cold air blowing out the vent. I pulled the dryer out of the closet, took the panel of the back which houses the heating element, tested the two thermostats and they were closed. Not the problem. Could not get good readings on the element itself.

I called Splendide's supplier, Westland. The support tech was very helpful. Bottom line is I ordered a new heating element. Our dryer gets heavy usage since we are full timers. Guess they don't make um like they used to. I replaced the element in the Maytag we had in our stick house once.....after 15 years of service.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
We have an appointment at the Westland facility in Clackamas, Oregon, tomorrow at 1:00 to have our Splendide combo repaired. Although a very helpful tech spent about 45 minutes with us on the phone trying to trouble-shoot the problem when we were still in Dillon (Montana), he finally said the unit would have to be serviced at a Splendide service facility. Doing that in Montana would mean leaving our rig for at least a week so that the problem could be diagnosed, parts ordered, and the repair made. Since we are full-timers now, we couldn't leave our rig that long at either service center in Montana, both over 4 hours away from us. So, since we were coming to the 7 Feathers rally anyway, we made an appointment to have the repair done at Westland. The tech said the work can be done there in one day, probably in fewer than 3 or 4 hours.

While living in a remote area has its advantages sometimes, getting RVs and their appliances serviced is definitely difficult.

Glad you were able to get your heating element and fix your dryer yourself.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:48 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Stiles, insure that the exhaust is not restricted in any way, that usually causes elements to burn out early.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:49 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Believe me, I understand your plight. After living in a motel for six weeks waiting for parts to repair our Montana, this is the down side to full timing. The work took about 2 or 2-1/2 days once the parts came in.

I have an extended warranty, but having a mobile tech come out twice at $100.00 each. I am fairly sure that the warranty would not cover the travel charge and I have $100 deductible. My parts cost is less than $150.00 including shipping. Didn't take long to do the math.

Thanks, Ozz, the exhaust pipe is unrestricted and air flow is great. When I installed the dryer, I built a narrow shelf behind the dryer so the the flex hose would lay flat and straight, no sagging loop to catch lint. We also clean the lint screen at the end of every load.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote