Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2011, 09:58 AM   #1
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
Frame Problem???

We opened the trailer last week in preparation for our first weekend away and found what looks like the frame has deflected up in the area of the front closet, splintering the base of the right side wall. Apparently it has been this way since I parked it last November and just noticed it now. I made an appointment with the dealer to look into the problem.
I hope resolving this issue doesn't drag out too long.
If the picture doesn't post you can see some shots on my link to photos.

Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:17 AM   #2
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Oh no. Your rig is too new for frame flex. However, looks like a symptom. Hmm. Good luck.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
John, It could be that that piece of panelling was too long for the space and has eventually cracked. I had that happen to a piece of panelling in the kitchen. Keystone replaced it with one cut to proper size and case closed. Hopefully someone will be along to address this issue with you. I would have a dealer look at it just in case it could be the frame......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
When I first spotted the problem the trailer wasn't hooked to the truck and I was able to push the damaged panel back in so it was flat. After I attached it to the truck and lowered the weight down it bowed back out and I'm not able to push it back in.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
If I saw that I would also think it was frame flex. I think I see some flexing when traveling. But it is not causing any problem I can see. Others have told me they also see some flexing when towing. It almost looks like the MorRyde pinbox moves slightly between the cap and pinbox.
I am keeping a close eye on things for now.

Please keep us informed as to what you find out. We all may need to look a little closer at things.

Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:11 AM   #6
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
Joe, take a look at the photo. It's a side view of the level mounted on the pin box. You can see where it's rubbing the edge of the front cap. The gap (approx 3/8") doesn't seem to change much when I hitched the truck so it must be rubbing while traveling.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
John, Yep that looks like what I might be seeing and describing. It just has not caused anything I can see without removing the skin under the cap. That will happen when I get home.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:48 PM   #8
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I'd also have to agree, shouldn't any fight to get it fixed. Sorry it happen thanks for the pics and insite.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:46 PM   #9
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
John,

Keep us posted on progress. I have same year and model.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:11 PM   #10
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Wow thats terrable. It should be covered under warintee its only a year old, have you called Keystone yet? sure sorry for your inconvenience that a real bummer.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:33 AM   #11
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
I haven't called Keystone. Thought I would see what response the dealer has on there own.
Does anyone have a contact name or number in the event that's necessary?
Old 03-31-2011, 03:56 AM   #12
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Hope they get your Montana fixed...and without a lot of frustration.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:58 AM   #13
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
go the "Home" page for the forum and then to OEM Components, it will be the very first # listed.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:32 AM   #14
GaryM
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9975
That is exactly what our 2010 3665RE is doing. It has been like that for about nine months now. Our dealer had no Idea what to do to fix it and they were unable to follow Keystones simple instructions on how to repair it. Keystone said that they were too busy to book us in on the way down from Canada in November but they booked us in for our trip back in April. The support wall inside the front cap also separated from the side walls and the cap is about one inch lower than it should be. I bet there was more damage caused by pulling it around the U.S. over the last six months. I guess Keystone did not think that it is a big concern and fixing it was not on there priority list. We will see how it goes when we get to the factory in Pendleton. Good luck with yours.

Gary
GaryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:55 AM   #15
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
I also see some movement when towing. Before I hook this year I am going to take an inspection camera and check all the welds in the front. I can't think of anything on the road that is built with less attention to safety and quality than recreational trailers. Caveat Emptor takes on a whole new meaning when you buy one of these.
RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:22 AM   #16
gregdan24
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9822
We have the same problem on ours except the panel popped the staples and bows out when hooked up. Your panel must have been nailed on better. It's obvious the frame in the front is flexing some when weight is put on it and I can see some movement when towing over rough roads.

I did contact Keystone. They said it's "normal with the new front" and that if I take it to the dealer the fix is to add plywood to the panel. They also said that if the frame was broke there would be separation at the joints in the cap and other areas under the front.

Not sure what "normal" means, but I'll take it to the dealer to let them check it out and fix. Keystone said they would take care of it even though we're a couple months past our 1 year warranty. I've found Keystone to be pretty good to work with so far.
gregdan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:46 AM   #17
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Johnnyg,
Please keep us posted on what you find out. I have the same issue with ours. The front underbelly was removed for inspection in Feb. and all appeared normal (welds, gussets, etc.). There is no other signs of damage other than the closet wall, but ours did not break, it is just bowed at the bottom. The tech I was dealing with when I had it inspected said he had worked on several Keystone products back when they were having a lot of problems with frame flex and busted welds in front and the pin box area. To my relief, he said our rig was showing no signs of that type of problem. He thought the panel had just been cut too long, but if that is the case I still can figure out why the showed up 18-20 months after having the rig and towing it 15K miles. It will be interesting to hear what the outcome is.

r,
Jack

ON EDIT: Johnnyg,
After looking at your photos, I find it interesting that our side wall is more bowed toward the front of the closet (front of rig) and less bowed toward the closet doors. That is exactly how your wall is cracked. I too can see a slight bit of movement in the "bowing" of the wall as I put the weight on the pin. I have done this using the remote and watching the closet wall from the inside.

I have not seen any indication of the hitch rubbing against anything on the outside of the rig.

Jack
Old 04-08-2011, 06:48 AM   #18
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GaryM

That is exactly what our 2010 3665RE is doing. It has been like that for about nine months now. Our dealer had no Idea what to do to fix it and they were unable to follow Keystones simple instructions on how to repair it. Keystone said that they were too busy to book us in on the way down from Canada in November but they booked us in for our trip back in April. The support wall inside the front cap also separated from the side walls and the cap is about one inch lower than it should be. I bet there was more damage caused by pulling it around the U.S. over the last six months. I guess Keystone did not think that it is a big concern and fixing it was not on there priority list. We will see how it goes when we get to the factory in Pendleton. Good luck with yours.

Gary
Gary,
I know your appointment in Pendleton is this month, but when? I will be interested to see what they tell you. Take care and travel safe

Jack
Old 04-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #19
GaryM
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9975
Jack we just pulled into Pendleton today. We will see them on Monday. We have a list, a very long list of things that need attention. The latest problem is the hydraulic leak at the slide controls, been leaking since Jackson when I showed the sales manager the broken knobs. Oil all over the side of the rig now traveling to Pendleton. He also told me that it looked like the front main beam above our pin was bending up. he must know, he works for Keystone.

Gary
GaryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:31 AM   #20
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Thanks Gary. It'll be interesting if the frame is bending up and to see what Keystone is willing to do about it. It obviously is not confined to one or two rigs judging from the posts starting to show up here on the forum.

Jack