Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2011, 07:37 AM   #1
klandry
Established Member

M.O.C. #7783
travelling from S. California to Alaska

Hi everyone,

We'll be travelling from southern California to Alaska. I was wondering if anyone had any recomendations for campgrounds in California, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia or Alaska. A lot to ask I know.

We'll probably start sometime in late April to head north where we were hoping to stop somewhere in Oregon for a month to let BC and Alaska warm up a little.

Thanks in advance.

klandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:18 AM   #2
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Some general advice...
We did this trip last summer. BEWARE of the 110 miles from Destruction Bay to Alaska - I took 3 hrs 20 minutes and it is paved!!! That was still too fast! There are orange flags along the side where the road is bad. But the bad news is some of these aren't too bad and you can travel 35-40 mph. But others really need a speed of about 15-20. I had one cupboard that opened and everything was on the floor. Plus the 2nd time thru I accumulated mud on the underside and a flat rubber piece that held the elec. wiring up broke.
So on to campgrounds. Pretty much everything in Alaska is not good. Probably a 5 or 6 out of 10 stars.
** TOK RV Village was good. It also had a rv/car wash that was by the foot. However, you had no time limit.
** Eagles Rest RV park in Valdez was simple but ok. Added plus is real eagles came down to eat to fish guts people threw out in the evening.
** Beluga Lookout Lodge and RV in Kenai was good but VERY tight. I literally had less than 3 inches on one side and my steps were 2-3 inches over the other line. Also, reserve this one early.
** Heritage RV PARK in Homer - just a parking lot with hookups, but right on the water. EXPENSIVE. But it does have WiFi and cable.
** Golden Nugget RV in Anchorage - Pretty nice and 1-2 blocks from Costco and 2-3 miles from many restaurants.
** Fairbanks - I didn't like what trailerLife said about any of these (or rather campgroundreviews.com) so we stayed in Santaland in North Pole.

Denali - if your rig will fit, I would recommend a campground in the park - Teklanika River CG - that is 29 miles in on the park road. No hookups and 3 nite minimum. BUT you can get a bus pass that is cheap and just get on and off where you want.

One last thing. We were in Alaska the month of July. Never saw the top of a mountain until the last day because of clouds and rain. Even locals thought is was too much! August is drier. Also, the fish were 2 weeks late and we didn't see any salmon runs. Which means the bears were also missing. Planned on stopping at Hyder on the way back, but heard the fish were late there too. Hyder has a viewing platform that seems like it would be great if there were actually bears to see!

Have fun!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:35 AM   #3
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
You can check the weblink in my signature for our AK trip a few years ago. May give you some ideas. Also, PM me and I can send our Exel itinerary.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:37 AM   #4
Dave and Pat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10397
If you come up I-5,go west at hiway 38 to Reedsport Oregon,turn south for three miles to Winchester Bay. Winchester Bay RV resort is on the bay. It is full service and first class.Lots of things to see and do,plus even a little fishing and crabing.
Dave and Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dave and Pat

If you come up I-5,go west at hiway 38 to Reedsport Oregon,turn south for three miles to Winchester Bay. Winchester Bay RV resort is on the bay. It is full service and first class.Lots of things to see and do,plus even a little fishing and crabing.
A good place to spend one (or more nights) is 7 Feathers RV Park in Canyonville, OR (exit 99). Then continuing North on I-5, you really should take Hwy-138 at Sutherlin (milepost 136?) towards Reedsport. That connects to Hwy-38 at Elkton. Stop for breakfast or lunch at Tomiselli's Pastry Mill and Cafe. Going on up I-5 to catch Hwy-38 will cost you 30 extra miles. Hwy-38 is the exit for the coast if you are south-bound.

Winchester Bay RV Park is one of our favorite places too. Get a waterfront site if you can (pricey) so you can watch the action on the Umpqua River out to the ocean.

If you have time, make a reservation for dinner the Waterfront Depot in Florence OR, 20 miles north of Reedsport/Winchester Bay.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:10 AM   #6
klandry
Established Member

M.O.C. #7783
Thank you all for your information. We really appreciate it.

Karen
klandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #7
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Karen,
Check out our Trip Journal for our Alaska trip a few years ago. Also get a copy of Alaskan Camping by Mike and Terri Church. It was extremely useful during our trip and it is updated. Amazon should have it.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
JudeM
Established Member

M.O.C. #9979
We found The Milepost an invaluable tool on our adventure a few years back! Amazing trip!!!
http://milepost.com/
JudeM is offline   Reply With Quote