Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2006, 02:04 PM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Roof mounted Satellite dish

I have a 05 Mountaineer 335RLBS. I am considering this Winegard RM-DM61 crank up roof mounted antenna. I like the idea of it serving both satellite and local channels. I am considering having it installed in place of the crank up TV antenna. Has anyone any experience with any of the Winegard crank up satellite antennas on their units? If so what has your experience been like? If you have this specific model I would really like to here from you. I like the idea of a roof mounted one but can live with the portable, which I have but when we start long timing it I will probably prefer a roof mounted one for ease and security.

Here are the details of the above dish which can be seen at this link http://www.winegard.com/mobile/crank.htm

Eighteen inch digital satellite dish and off-air omnidirectional RoadStarTM antenna together — one mount and one install for satellite or local broadcasts. Includes Digital Magic elevation sensor that gives the elevation of the satellite antenna on an LCD readout inside the vehicle, accurate to within 1°. Features:
* Combination UHF/VHF antenna plus 18" digital satellite dish
* Include Digital Magic Elevation sensor
* Includes RV-7042 white on/off power supply switch with +12 VDC receptacle, built-in two-way splitter for second TV set, power indicator light, cable/satellite input

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:17 PM   #2
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I also thought about getting one, but one less hole in my roof will do me fine. I figure if you had a professional do it and you trusted them...then go for it. It was enough for me to know that the dealer had to cut a big hole (maybe not that big), in the side of my unit for w/d vent, but one thing for sure, I can see the vent everday and will know if the caulking is loose. But the dealer did a great job and it looks like it came from the factory. I figure if the roof started leaking in the area of the mounted dish, Keystone wouldn't cover it if it had anything to do with after-market stuff. Good Luck! Allison
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:12 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
A roof-mounted satellite antenna limits where you can park and still get good reception. There are a lot of people who swear by them but I'm a little reluctant so I use a ground mounted satellite antenna.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:13 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As the commercial says "all you need is a clear and unobstructed view of the southern sky" If you can do that the majority of the time the roof mounted satellite dish is a good thing. We have been in many CG's were "things" are in the way. Trees, Etc.We will stay with the portable dish and a couple of 50 foot runs of RG-6 You can always find a "hole" somewhere.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:34 PM   #5
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
I have been considering this same unit. I struggle with knowing that my present options are many...dish anywhere within reason at ground level. I have also climbed on roof and lashed it to the standard TV antenna which I previously crank up and leave at zero degreess (up/down crank position)....Dish is always kept clamped to the Wingard Tripod 2ft post so it can be lashed or just inserted into tripod base. When on roof, once lashed, trailer previously level its always been plumb...I confirm with a small level, then using a boyscout compass have someone in coach use antenna knob to rotate it to proper heading while watching DirecTV signal bar...has not failed me yet! Use the roof position for those packed NASCAR infield things...and the on-ground for the relaxing boondocking trips. Quite a contrast (case-in-point) signature image shows it on ground tripod while boondocking in Assateague Island Md, pre-Ernesto which was a 2006 hurricane! Yes, TV, Monty, Lin & I sat it out...never again,poor judgement, got wheels, use 'em! Make like a tree, leave...
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:40 PM   #6
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
There is one more reason other than the ones listed above about one more hole in the roof and being in a clear unobstructed area. If you are traveling out of your "local" area you will not be able to pick up your locals. I assume the Omnidirectional takes the place of the bat wing to pick up locals on the road.

I consulted with my local dish company just this past week about receiving the East/West Coast feeds and he told me that unless I was already subscribed I was out of luck as they no longer provide these from Dish Network. I don't know what Direct's policy is so you might want to check on this situation before you make the leap.

I have forgotten the date but think it to be March '08 that the FCC will require a digital only signal. My televisions are not digital capable so at that point in time I will have to buy a converter in order to see locals on the road.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:44 PM   #7
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Hi Charlie, DirecTV does not drop the local tv broadcast. It is strange to be in Md watching NYC news, weather, and etc...and not much good either regarding the weather thing! At least we know what we're going home too.
Chuck
Old 10-26-2006, 03:48 PM   #8
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
The way I understand it Dish is the same way if you are already subscribed, but will not allow new subcriptions for the E/W Coast feed, has something to do with FCC and cable companies.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:49 PM   #9
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
We have the antenna described below. Had it on both of our Montys. There are are occasions when we're under or behind something that blocks it but there's generally cable there also. And it works with Direct TV.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

AS2003 AUTOMATIC RV DSS 46cm ANTENNA SYSTEM. AUTOMATICALLY RAISES, LOWERS, ORIENTATES ANTENNA FROM INSIDE THE VEHICLE. $795 MORE INFORMATION
AS2003 at $795 plus $29 flat rate shipping to any lower 48 state

US Patent No. 5532710 Automatic Digital Satellite Dish with GPS

This system is totally automatic! Compatible with Dish 500®, the receiver will toggle between 110° and 119° with Global Positioning System technology (GPS). It automatically searches for the correct satellite while your vehicle is parked. Press Power on the wall-mounted control panel in your vehicle to search for the satellite — no numbers to enter!

System includes 18 inch dish, lift system, LNBF, GPS and interior control panel.

The white lift assembly is strong and lightweight; dish support bracket is cast aluminum with aluminum feed arm; cast aluminum base; two motors — one for lift, the other for rotation; attractive base cover. AS-2003 gives you automatic signal location with the GPS system — easy, accurate and fast!
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:58 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I learned today that Dish lost it's court case to allow the waiver for consumers to keep there East-West feeds. The injunction takes effect December 1, 2006. DirecTV, which apparently settled their DNS issues with broadcasters a few years ago, was not included in the ruling, so all DirecTV customers will not be affected.

Orv
Old 10-26-2006, 04:02 PM   #11
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Thanks Orv, this must be the info I was receiving, sounds like I need to dump Dish and go for Direct.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:10 PM   #12
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
ORV, Thanks, for the info...guess I lucked out. Sorry for the Dish users but typically its not done yet. Too bad the cable companies are so powerful that the consumer is limited to choices that may not meet our needs.
Chuck
Old 10-26-2006, 04:47 PM   #13
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I watched a guy drive around for at least 45 min looking for a clear shot, because his wife would do afull things to him if she didn't have her TeleV, so he said.
I have the tripod and love it. I also like to park under trees. I also had a roof mount on my other Fiver, and it had its problems with locations no trees or cliffs near you.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:06 PM   #14
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
I had the windguard Satellite crankup dish with digital readout and it worked out ok most places, but I also had a tripod and dish to use if I couldnt get a signal from the rooftop one. I thought about putting a rooftop on my monty, but decided against it, for the tripod is really easy to set up with the meter I hook up to it to get the satellite signal. So guess I'll just used the $$$ for desiel fuel!! lol, just my 2 cents worth..
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:08 AM   #15
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
We use a dish on a tripod as well. Thought about getting the rooftop dish, but5 the tripod works so well we figured we would save the money. We have Direct and get the e/w feed. Just got it beginning of this month. Sent in the waiver request and 5er registrration and it took about a month from start to finish. Works great.
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:06 AM   #16
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We have the dome TV antenna sold at Campers World (see photo in signature). Its automatic and in most cases (no heavy trees) I can normally find a signal thru the trees. The one thing in placement of the antenna is the roof has to be level. Montanas are slopped in the front. There is no holes in the roof as the controls and power connections are fed thru an opening in the front cap and down thru the roof ref vent. We have had it for almost two years now and it has worked 100% of the time. When looking for a site, its one more thing you look for. The height of the RV is now 13'4". We have Direct TV and yes we get local channels (Washington DC) everywhere we go.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:51 AM   #17
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Chuck, can you post some pictures of how you attach the unit to the tv antenna?
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 04:27 AM   #18
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Ken,
Where do you go that you can still get your Wash, DC stations? DirecTV pinpoints your zip code. When we travel outside the Houston,TX area (Lubbock, Dallas, etc) we can no longer get local stations. Because of that we opted not to subscribe to the locals. Every once in awhile, DirecTV offers free locals but because we are out of the area, we cannot receive them. If they'd make the locals available to me wherever I traveled, I would subscribe.

Orv
Old 10-27-2006, 08:56 AM   #19
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Hi Dennis, Here's a pic of it when boondocking this year. I will have to put it up there once more to show better detail...maybe if the rain breaks this weekend I can get you nicer pic.
Chuck
Old 10-27-2006, 12:58 PM   #20
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Ahh, Rain held off and I got er done tonight!
Lashed to the crank up antenna...

I hang it on top of one of the pins and normally use two
of those red bungies...since this was for pics only
used one.