Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2006, 03:21 PM   #1
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
New Florida Houses with RV Garages

I was looking at new houses around Leesburg Florida and come accross a gated community that had one section with RV houses. The houses had two car garages and a seperate RV garage capable of housing the largest motor home made. I fell in love with the idea and I thought I would pass this on. There was also plenty of room to keep slides out. A low price of 329K.

Now I am trying to figure out if I can add a similiar garage to the side of my house to match the decor of the house. The trick to keep the taxes down is to detach it mortar wise and connect it by a screened courtyard. I have enough room on my lot to do it.

Has anyone seen these type houses in other gated communities??

Most the the gated areas will not let you bring in your 3/4 ton truck.

lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 04:11 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
So, Tom, you can bring in the motorhomes, but not your 5er, cause you cannot drag it in with a truck?? Somewhere I think I am missing something this late at night! But, what?? Maybe you mean MOST gated communities will not let you in with a truck, but that this one was so special cause you could and store the unit in the garage too!

Oh, heck, maybe after a night of sleep and some java in the AM this will make sense! haha
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:39 PM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I do believe there is a MOC member that lives in Arazona that has the same car/RV port but I cant remember who.
TT2
Old 03-07-2006, 11:34 PM   #4
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
Here in Yuma, we see quite a few houses with a shelter for an RV. The also have lots with hooks ups for 2 RVs, some of them even have a small bathroom / laundry. They rent them out to snowbirds for the winter. Some of these also have shelters for RVs.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:22 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
smc, your link to 'spaces' produces a message about not being allowed to access that space.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:31 AM   #6
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Al and Carol,

What I meant was that most new Florida gated communities will not allow a 3/4 ton truck to be parked at your house.

Now I have found one that will allow it in at least the section with RV houses. One whole section of the subdivision devoted to RVs. That is a welcome change because I will probably always have a truck.

Old 03-08-2006, 02:53 AM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Tom, that was what I thought, after reading the post a couple of times, it was late, ole tired brain cells! Are you considering buying into the community??
Old 03-08-2006, 07:38 AM   #8
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
No. In Florida when you buy a house you come under a "Save the homes" legislation at the time of sale whereby your taxable value on your home cannot increase more than 3 per cent a year. It is such a good deal in the current housing market but I lose it if I sell and re-buy. Compared to what I have in retirement funds that is big bucks, so for the time being I will stick to the old stick house. My house has more than doubled in the last few years in this hot market. Florida is not cheap anymore.

Gov Bush has been trying to change this to allow the tax benifits of Floridians to be transferable to a new home (up or down trade) but as of this time he has not been successful. If the law changes then I might be willing to buy a new RV home. Although I could have one built out of state.

In the meantime I am drooling over the idea to have that RV garage here at the house. A lot cheaper with minimum tax increase.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:42 AM   #9
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Oh the RV garage was about 846 sq ft. I believe the door was about 16ft high.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:48 AM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
sounds nice Tom, good luck on your plans!
Old 03-08-2006, 12:34 PM   #11
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
They have a community like that just west of I-95 in West Cocoa off SR 520, too much money for this poor old GI.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:16 PM   #12
houseof many dogs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #854
We have been looking to relocate to Florida for a while and found several of these RV port home communities. We have seen prices from 139K and up - depending on if you own or lease the lot.

I do not like the truck restriction news however, at most of the places we have looked, we see trucks in other owners carports. We will add that one to the list.

Secondly, can you install a RV shelter which is common up north? They are a metal roofed affair with steel ribs and cover about half the sidewall with metal sheathing. RonS - a frequent post to MOC has one.
houseof many dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:49 AM   #13
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
My parents are in their early 80's and are still boogying out in their 37' Georgie Boy motorhome. Now, I like to think that portends good things for my continued boogying! They live in Deming, New Mexico and have a "traditional" stucco home with an attached RV garage. It has huge roll-up doors on both ends, has all the electric hookups you could ask for, and even has a dump station built right into the floor! This garage is big enough to hold their rig and their "toad". Their other vehicle stays in a covered carport. It's an awesome set up; the entire neighborhood has these attached garages! That's one of the first places we're gonna visit next year when we retire and hit the road.
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 04:48 PM   #14
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Nice to hear about the other RV communities. I told the salespeople they should set up shop at some RV shows. It is nice to hear that other gated communities are letting the RVs in and stored at the home. Maybe the wave of the future. Those big garages sure are nice. You can do a lot more than store an RV.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:25 AM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lightningjack11

Oh the RV garage was about 846 sq ft. I believe the door was about 16ft high.
Tom, any way you can post some pics?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 01:40 PM   #16
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Sorry Dave. All I have is some floor plans from Arlington Ridge.