Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2006, 05:00 PM   #1
montanaman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5414
Better ride needed

Any opinion on pulling a Monty 3475 with a 2500 HD chevy 8.1 (Allison 8100) gas engine? I have a new truck with short box and slider hitch. What are your thoughts on making this a better ride? The Monty comes with the Mor-Ryde system but the RV seems to ride a bit side to side. Any thoughts on this are welcomed. Only I cant buy a new truck and got the Monty from my brother. Want to make the whole package work.

montanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 05:04 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
One could look into adding airbags to the truck, another option would be an air suspension kingpin adapter. I am sure someone will be along soon with other ideas. Welcome to the MOC!!!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 05:54 PM   #3
vanomm

M.O.C. #4694
after reading the suggestions for suspension boosters on this forum in late 2005 we opted for rear timbrens on a 2006 gmc 2500hd diesel. we like the result while towing: ride is stable and the truck is level (also towing a 3475). without the 5th wheel attached the timbrens are disengaged (i.e. little or no contact with the axle). took about an hour to install myself and the cost was about $150.

http://www.stengelbros.com/TimbrenKitsforGM.htm#Pickups
vanomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 06:11 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
If you're into spending some money, look at www.trailersaver.com and you'll see what I opted for. I was being beat to death and wanted something better than what I had. I looked at a lot of options, most of what you will hear about in this forum and settled on this air ride hitch. It fits right into the rails used by Reese and Drawtite hitches. I no longer am beat up and tired when I arrive at my destination.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 06:55 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Orv,
I really like the air ride hitch, too bad they do not have anything for us shortbed owners. Sure looks like you have smooth sailing with the Trail Air ride.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:56 AM   #6
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Check your cargo load in the Montana and your springs on your truck. Put on Rancho RS9000 adjustable shocks you would be amazed at how they stabilize your handling.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 02:35 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I will have the 3400rl with the Mor-Ryde suspension and added the Mor-ryde pin box we will see how that works..However I have the 16K draw-tite hitch (same as the reese hitch) and they sent me a PIVOT HEAD LOCK with the hitch. According to the literature it is supposed to eliminate the side to side pivioting, You can see it on the reese hitch web site,the cost is @ 40.00.We are not going to install it up front. we will see how the ride is with the Mor-Ryde set up first. You can also google pivot head lock for more information..anyone have any experience with these things and do they work. They only fit Draw tite and reese hitches.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 03:12 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Orv,
I really like the air ride hitch, too bad they do not have anything for us shortbed owners. Sure looks like you have smooth sailing with the Trail Air ride.
Actually Montana Sky, I have the Trailer Saver. I believe Trail Air is a brand of suspension for the RV. I don't know what the experience is with that one. I have Mor-Ryde axles (individual suspension on each wheel) on our rig. Trailer Saver started out with hitches only for medium duty trucks. Then the demand came in for us smaller truck owners. I don't know of any plans they may have for short bed trucks.

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 03:41 AM   #9
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
montanaman, I'm towing with a setup very much like you are. I'm looking into the Mor-Ryde hitch to take out the front to back jerking, but I don't know what you mean by riding side to side. I pull with the 16k slider Reese with swival head, maybe the movement is there and I just don't realize it. I know this didn't help you at all, but I can't figure out what you refer to.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 05:00 AM   #10
montanaman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5414
What I mean by side to side is the front of the rv seems to tilt side to side when towing and the bottom front corners are no far from hitting the top fender on the side of the truck due to the side to side tilting. Seems like there is too much ride going on here.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:32 AM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Frank,
How much clearance do you have between the top of the bed rail and your coach? Sounds to me if your bed and coach are almost coming into contact there might be more problems there than previously stated. On my Superglide the hitch has a 4-way tilt head which allows for front to back and side to side movement. There is approx. 6-7" of clearance between my bed and the coach. Is your coach riding level front to back?
Old 03-04-2006, 09:19 AM   #12
montanaman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5414
Well I guess there is 6 to 7" clearance but if I were to hit a rut or bump the side to side movement could possibly cause the bed and rv to meet. Not sure about this but looks that way. Maybe i am imagining things but sure looks it. I plan to get airbags and have some other things checked out. In florida now and it would be nice to find someone here who knew about these things. As far as i am concerned the dealer here where i purchased the rv just says every thing is fine and the mechanic says the same but i dont think so. Would be nice to find a Montana dealer with some knowledge about towing and set up. I guess this is why i am now on this site. I hear alot of stories of dealers not being much help once you buy an rv. I called about the mor-ryde system on this RV and now they just say call the mor-ryde folks or on other things i am now just to call Indiana and talk to those folks. What a pain.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:41 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well I will tell you..Calling the Mor-Ryde folks is a very good idea. They know about their product and can answer your questions better than the dealer or Keystone..We did that... Or go to the Mor-Ryde web site..Lots of good information there///
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:35 AM   #14
montanaman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5414
Thanks. I will do more research on this mor-ryde.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:44 PM   #15
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Good Evening All,

While traveling down the road and looking in the rear view mirror, I can see that our 06 3400RL seems to roll side to side about 1" or so as I travel down the road. I use the top of the front storage door as it rolls with respect to the top of the TV tail gate as an indicator.

To me, this "seems" to be normal. Just as a tall panel truck rolls from side to side during turns and jolts, the 5vr is doing the same thing. There is nothing within the trailer suspension that would preclude this from happening. Our trailer is pre-mor/ryde axle suspension. I wonder if this roll effect will be changed with the mor/ryde suspension?

I would, however, be conderned if this roll effect was more than a couple of inches. If such were the case, I would start by checking the suspension of the trailer - the springs and perhaps the shocks. I would also take a look at cargo loading. Cargo should be stored as low as possible in order to keep the center of gravity low. The higher the storage area, the lighter the cargo should be.

I also would think that locking the hitch so as to "not" allow this roll would produce both a harcher ride within the TV and also make it very difficult to maneuver on uneven surfaces. As such, I would investigate all other options first.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:12 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by montanaman

Any opinion on pulling a Monty 3475 with a 2500 HD chevy 8.1 (Allison 8100) gas engine? I have a new truck with short box and slider hitch. What are your thoughts on making this a better ride? The Monty comes with the Mor-Ryde system but the RV seems to ride a bit side to side. Any thoughts on this are welcomed. Only I cant buy a new truck and got the Monty from my brother. Want to make the whole package work.
By ride side to side are you referring to sway? If so, it should not be doing that. Sway in a fifthwheel is usually caused by pinweight not being within 20% to 25% of total trailer weight. Another possibility is tires that are seriously underinflated. Wind can cause a very small amount of sway, too, but I have to look hard to see that in a heavy crosswind. If pinweight is not between those ranges you can adjust the hitch or pinbox to raise or lower the nose and adjust pinweight that way.

I may be way offbase but this is one possibility.

Your truck should do a good job for you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:04 PM   #17
Art
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5316
Montanaman,

It sounds like the "side to side" motion may be coming out of your slider hitch. I improved the forward-aft jerk on rough roads with a trail-air kingpin hitch. It's pricey but it worked for me. My dually (8ft bed) has NO (and I do mean NO) side to side or any other type of unusual movement at 70 mph. Although the 11,000 lb springs due leave something to be desired when empty. I actually just installed the timbren bags to stop the empty bounce. It works (up to a point) and I am satisfied. Good luck and this members will give you some good, experienced advice!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:06 PM   #18
Art
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5316
Montanaman,

It sounds like the "side to side" motion may be coming out of your slider hitch. I improved the forward-aft jerk on rough roads with a trail-air kingpin hitch. It's pricey but it worked for me. My dually (8ft bed) has NO (and I do mean NO) side to side or any other type of unusual movement at 70 mph. Although the 11,000 lb springs due leave something to be desired when empty. I actually just installed the timbren bags to stop the empty bounce. It works (up to a point) and I am satisfied. Good luck and this members will give you some good, experienced advice!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 06:27 AM   #19
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
Something else you may want to check is what tires you have on the tow vehicle. "D" rated tire will give a "mushy" ride compare to "E" rated tires. With the amount of weight in the rear of the truck you should probably have the stiffer "E" rated tires.
Just a thought.
Merv
Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:37 AM   #20
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
We switched pin boxes to the DEMCO glide ride and it has significantly decreases front to back jerking or slamming. We have not noticed any other, especially any deletorious effect. Go to demco site to see a video. We have towed over 1200 miles with the new pin box.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote