Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2006, 11:59 AM   #1
The Wind
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4200
Synthetic oils

I met a couple at the fall fair selling "Amsoil" synthetic oil. She just called me again, wanting me to use it in the "powerstoke". She said that she was in Tampa at the RV show and that alot of people bought the synthetic oil to put into their powerstrokes. Can anybody give me the pros and cons on this oil? Will it void my warrenty? Does it cost more than regular oil? Thanks for the help.....

The Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:12 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
You'll find that those who use synthetic oils swear by it and those that don't use synthetics feel it's just a bunch of hype. I for one don't use it.

And no it will not void your warranty and yes it costs more.

BTW- What would you expect the Amsoil people to tell you??
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 01:35 PM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've been approached many times about synthetic oil for both my powerstroke and transmission. I've never been able to get myself to try it. People (Amsoil people) say it's good and those who are using it say it's good. I'm not sure the cost is worth it. There are a lot of RVers traveling all over the country and you'll find that most do not use synthetic oil. I have nothing against it.

I understand that it won't void your warranty if you do use it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 03:51 PM   #4
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Synthetic oils are good. The drawback is the cost. In a power stroke with 16 qts it can be expensive. They say you can run your oil longer and thats true. But if something happens to the engine, you had better have receipts for oil changes at the specified ford recommends. I use synthetic oil in our mountaineer and have seen no change in the performance of the engine. I did not put it in our 2005 GMC because of the cost. I found that using Valvoline premium blue, which was designed by Valvoline and Cummings has a warranty for 300,000 miles if you change it at regular intervals. Its a lot cheaper than 16 qts of synthetic oil
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 02:39 AM   #5
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
I only use synthetic oil in all my autos.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 03:13 AM   #6
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Cost was the deal for me, too. Dealer/mechanic recommended Rotella-T and change regularly for my 6L PSD. As in the posts above, at 16 qts. you'd have to run alot longer for the price difference for synthetics. For my piece of mind, I'll change regularly and use good diesel oil. MHO. BTW, there was a good post on a diesel page on maintaining your 6L. If you want the link, send me a PM.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 03:30 AM   #7
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
All you guys that are commenting on the cost of the oil need to realize that if your drain intervals are extended using synthetic you are not going to have the same cost as changing more often with the regular oil. Yes per quart synthetic is more but the oil is also better for the engine. I have used synthetic since people thought you had lost your mind to even mention it. Now car and big truck manufacturers are reccommending it. It's in all the eaton fuller rear ends and transmisions on semi trucks. If you take the synthetic out you void the warranty. I have seen dyno runs with engines with and without synthetics. They all make more hp with the synthetics than with the regular. Happy Trails Al
BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 04:09 AM   #8
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
SYNTHETIC'S are the way to go!!!!!!! HEAT IS WHAT DOES THE DAMAGE to the engine, transmission and rear end.... If you take a small amount of SYNTHETIC and the same amount of YOUR OIL. Put it in a can or whatever and hit it with a TOURCH... see which one GOES TO HE%% first. The cost of the synthetic can be eliminated for $15.00 per year, you can become a AMSOIL DEALER. Even if you buy just the SYNTHETIC for yourself it is well spend money. ANOTHER THOUGHT FOLK'S... for every dollar your spending on conventional oil, your buying another ARAB a MERCEDES, an oil man here a SAILBOAT. Buying SYNTHEITC is just about like buying AMERICAN MADE... THINK ABOUT IT... For those who still wish to buy CHEAP remember what your granddad and grandma always said ""You get what you paid for""" Don't mean to be harsh.. But I can't believe Folk's will drive $40.000 TV and worry about and extra couple of dollars a guart for oil... Just my two cents worth - I'll still drink of cup of coffee with you and hand you a wrench while your putting your TV back togeather. ha ha John H (aka Hemlockusa)
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 04:23 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
It's just like I said, those that use it swear by it and those that don't use it think it's a bunch of hype and/or a huge waste of money. And what ken said "They say you can run your oil longer and thats true. But if something happens to the engine, you had better have receipts for oil changes at the specified ford recommends." is so very true. That's also true for GM's as well. Don't know about Dodges.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 04:35 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I beleive my 05 F-350 Ford calls for synthetic oil or a synthetic blend (Whatever that is).I use what Ford says to use and change oil at the recommended intervals..Figure if I use what they recommend when they recommend it there can be no question on any warranty issue.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 04:38 AM   #11
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Just to answer GLEN, I buy my filter's by the case and my synthetic's in 5 gallon containters. I have receipt's and I change my own fluids... IT would be like going to walmart and getting several cases of filters and oil on sale. you have the receipts for the items and you can change it on the intervals required by you Ford, Chev or Dodge spec's. that is all it take's to comply with warranty and if you look in all the TV manual's They list SYNTHETIC OIL as an alternative.. So they all would be covered by your present warranty...no Excuse now! Later John H (aka Hemlockusa)
Old 01-29-2006, 04:41 AM   #12
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
God, I'am getting gabby today. The only reason that the three top manufacture's of our TV's do not put SYNTHETIC'S in their vehicles from the factory. is COST and the fact that they want to keep their SERVICE CENTERS OPEN. THINK ABOUT IT.

Later John H (aka Hemlockusa)
Old 01-29-2006, 05:57 AM   #13
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
I bought a lifetime oil change plan from the local Ford dealer. $550.00 free oil changes whenever I want as long as I own the truck. I have 27,000 miles on it now and figure I'll break even in the next 10,000 miles and be getting free oil changes after that. Still have to pay for the ones one the road but I still feel it was worth it. Ford dealer does the work and keeps the records (I still save the receipts).
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 01:57 PM   #14
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
I don't know where all this talk about receipts comes in. I have a friend who drives a Ford Truck and he came to me wanting to know about synthetic oils. So I gave him some information and he decided to try the synthetic oil in his truck. He ran it about 5000 miles and a problem came up with the engine. He took his truck to the local dealership as it was still under warranty. They looked into the engine and found that the problem came up because he used the synthetic oil which accelerated the failure of a manufacturing defect which probably would have not shown up till the engine was out of warranty. No questions were ever asked about receipts for oil changes just type of oil used. This happened in the 90's and Ford said it didn't matter that he used synthetic they completely rebuilt his engine and it still runs to this day
Old 01-29-2006, 02:44 PM   #15
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
I keep the reciepts for any work done on my vehicles (always have), just anal I guess. Your right Al, I have never had a dealer ask me to verify sheduled maintenance either. I was impressed by a guy that sold me a used car once. He was the original owner. When I bought it he handed me receipts for all the work he had ever had done on it. Guess I thought it was a good idea, and old habit are hard to break.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 03:09 PM   #16
HomeOnTheRoad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1104
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BigAl52

All you guys that are commenting on the cost of the oil need to realize that if your drain intervals are extended using synthetic you are not going to have the same cost as changing more often with the regular oil. Yes per quart synthetic is more but the oil is also better for the engine. I have used synthetic since people thought you had lost your mind to even mention it. Now car and big truck manufacturers are reccommending it. It's in all the eaton fuller rear ends and transmisions on semi trucks. If you take the synthetic out you void the warranty. I have seen dyno runs with engines with and without synthetics. They all make more hp with the synthetics than with the regular. Happy Trails Al
The problem is the engine warranty requires oil changes at no more than specified intervals. That eliminates the synthetic advantage of extended oil changes. After warranty ok. During warranty not for me.
HomeOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 03:26 PM   #17
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
Extenending the drain intervals will not void your warranty. Most of the people using petrolum base oil will change at 3000 to 5000 miles. Cummins says you can go to 15000 miles but most guys don't. They change at the above intervals. You just need to do what works for you. The sythetic oil is is not a bunch of hype like some say. There is fact to back up the claims and there is alot of people switching everyday. Al
Old 01-29-2006, 10:00 PM   #18
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Amsoil is not the only synthetic. Almost all leading oil brands offer a synthetic. Funny thing is, many started out in the aviation market. Mobil 1 was one of the first to recommend extended oil changes for aircraft engines. They said you could run 100 hours between changes instead of fifty. Then there were several early life failures in Continentals (no Lycomings that i ever heard of) on the extended change program and Mobil pulled it from the market. Funny thing is, the oil itself was good but the extended time between changes was the problem -- just tooo long. Now Mobile 1 is available for cars and trucks.

Personally, I prefer the synthetics to help achieve longer engine life and use it in airplane, car and truck. But, I change at the times recommended by the engine manufacturer.

Synthetic oil is required by Honda in our Civic Hybrid (no, that is not our tow vehicle). They use it to get better mileage. It is interesting to note that the oil change interval for the Honda Hybrid is 10,000 miles while our previous Honda had a change recommended at 6000 miles.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:17 PM   #19
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
OK... Let's try this "by the book"... In the MANUAL it says the mileage interval for changing oil AND changing synthetic oil is:

GM
Oil __________
Syn Oil __________

Ford
Oil __________
Syn Oil __________

Dodge
Oil __________
Syn Oil __________

Hope I'm not confusing anyone with what I am asking... Thanks.

Also interested in the WORDING of each manual... "recommended" or "suggested" or "(other specific word)".

And you thought you were A/R, Dave...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 11:22 PM   #20
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
The first synthetic oil was "Royal Triton" (advertised as 'The Purple Oil') I started using it in a 1951 Ford I had in '54-58. Been using synthetics ever since. Using Rotella T Synthetic Blend in the Cummins now and Mobil 1 in our '03 Camry XLE.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote