Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2005, 08:51 AM   #1
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Super Spring, helper springs, air bags???What's yo

Hey MOCers, I need info...
I am soon to pick up a 3295RK and am aware of the heavy tongue weight on this unit. I am towing with a 2003 GMC 2500 Duramax Diesel and am considering extra help with the suspension. What experiences have you had with "Super Springs," helper springs, air bags etc, etc??? Someone on this site mentioned "Super Springs" that are just bolted on and a local shop didn't feel they would work very well. Of course, he wanted to sell me a much more expensive set.

I would appreciate any information you could give me on various kinds of helper suspension, and your experiences with it.
Thanks
Mike

ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 09:36 AM   #2
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
ronnilu, I do not know about springs but we have a 2004 serria 2500 same as you have and we put the firestone air bags on and when we are hooked up there is no squat at all.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 09:43 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
From everything I have read not only here but on other forums as well I am now sold on the Firestone Ride-Rite air helper springs. I have yet to buy them but will do so before I hook up the Monty come this spring. I also like the idea of being able to DIY and not have to pay some outlandish labor rate.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 01:24 PM   #4
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Good Evening All,

I recently installed a set of the Firestone air bags - helper springs. The installation went well with little trouble. Be careful when purchasing them as they come in a kit that is taylored specifically for the vehicle they will be mounted on. I finally called their customer service to get the correct kit part number - I had previously gotten 3 different part numbers from 3 different distributors.

My only disappointment is that they are sensitive to the air pressure used, and the kit does not come with the ability to simultaneously air up both springs to the same pressure. I suggest you make this modification.

The problem is this: each 1 PSI supports approximately 50# of weight, thus 10 PSI will counter act 500# of added pin weight, which typically will be more than enough to level out you TV. But since the air volume of the springs is small, accidently letting out just a small amount of air while checking the pressure can make several pounds difference in the actual pressure. Additionally, you have to get both springs fairly close to the same PSI. Accomplishing this can easily take 5 minutes of fooling around. And, of course, the PSI changes with temperature by as much as several PSI. Keeping things just right is somewhat of a pain in the ----. But they do provide the needed leveling, and with a good digital pressure guage, a hand pump, and a little practice, things work just fine.

And last, but not least, most of the time the TV is already over its GVWR and adding more suspension to level it out does nothing to help this problem, and most 3/4 ton TV's have a max rear axle rating of around 6,000# with upwards of 3,000# already being used up with the weight of the empty TV. For example, my 2500HD can handle only 2200# before exceeding GVWR, and approximately 2900# pin weight before I exceed the 6,000# rear axle rating.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 01:54 PM   #5
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I have the Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags and would not be without them. Makes a good smooth level ride for both the TV and Monty. Unless you have the on board gauges and compressor a good digital gauge that reads in 1/2 pound increments is a must.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 02:42 PM   #6
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Mike
We had Campers World install the Air Lift air bags/springs and the Load controller II double gage system on our truck. It has a compressor, two gages, and individual air systems that I can control the air pressure in each bag. They made a special installation and put the gages, air releases, and pump switch in the center of the dash where there was a large storage area below the heater switches. It looks good in our 2500HD. Our truck set down a couple of inches with the Montana before we added the air lift bags. Now it sets level. I can control the air pressure from inside the truck. We also have a 45 gal tank installed in the place of the original tank and there is no lean at all with the extra weight. Without the Montana, the truck sits approx an inch higher than it did without the air bags. The unit comes with extra air add points in case the compressor doesn't work and also has an automatic on switch which i set to 5 lbs so it wouldn't come on when the trailer was not attached to the truck. I normally carry 10lbs when the RV is not hooked up. I hope this helps.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:15 PM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I have the same system as ken has and really like the feature of the compressor and dual gauge.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:37 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
If it is possible would any of you folks who have the guages installed in your truck for the onboard compressor be able to post a pic? I have been thinking of having this installed in mine and would love to see a pic or two.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 04:16 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rickfox, I'm not sure which ones you got but my Firestone airbags both air up at the same time, to the same pressure. I think there's an option for separate controls, so maybe that's what you got. Mine has the onboard compressor so I air them up and dump the air with a switch in the cab. Maybe that's the difference.

In any case, this is the second truck we've had Firestone airbags on and I'm sure sold on them. With the onboard compressor I can also adjust the ride on the fly when we hit those concrete expansion strips. I like being able to adjust for conditions.

I've never tried the Timbrens or anything else so can't comment on them.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 03:30 AM   #10
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
I have the supersprings and am very satisfied with them. Took less than and hour to install and they do the job.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 05:59 AM   #11
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
I installed the Firestone bags with the compressor and gage. Made a big difference in steering. Installation was very easy with excellent instructions. (Yes, I did read them!!)
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 09:06 AM   #12
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
Mike,
Another thing that I had to consider is being able to adjust up or down for varying situations. With timbren or with spring modifications you are limited on adjustments. I have a difficult driveway at home and it will be to my advantage to go with airbags and the onboard compressor.

I also have to assume that I may run into situations on the road or in CG's where that feature will be nice. I have yet to upgrade but do intend to do so between now and spring of the year.
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 09:35 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I note that all of these air bags are on 3/4 ton trucks. We had them on our previous Tv and they served us well.This is one of the reasons we now have a 1 ton with Dual rear wheels. Also not a lot of worry about exeeding pin weight??? Of course the 1 ton and the dual rear wheels have to be something that meets your needs.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:12 AM   #14
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
The air bags were the best thing I ever bought for our rig. The improvement in ride and handling was unbelievable.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 05:57 PM   #15
Montana_4423
Established Member

M.O.C. #4423
We've just installed Firestone airbags with in-cab controls. Like it alot but am unsure of how much pressure to use while towing. Run with 10 lbs. without the 2005 3295rk and around 50 lbs. when towing. Is that enough or too much? TV is a 2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax. Thanks for any suggestions.
Currently in Kartchner Caverns SP in AZ,slowly headed across the southern tier to Florida.
Montana_4423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 12:43 AM   #16
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
I had the Firestone air bags on my last TV. They work great but like rickfox says, be sure of the model and part number for your unit.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 02:51 AM   #17
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
In one of the recent issues of trailer life they did a very favorable report on the Rancho RS9000 shocks and how they made a great improvement in ride and handling. Just another option to consider as you fine tune to TV.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:11 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wlparry

We've just installed Firestone airbags with in-cab controls. Like it alot but am unsure of how much pressure to use while towing. Run with 10 lbs. without the 2005 3295rk and around 50 lbs. when towing. Is that enough or too much? TV is a 2005 Silverado 2500HD Duramax. Thanks for any suggestions.
Currently in Kartchner Caverns SP in AZ,slowly headed across the southern tier to Florida.
That sounds very reasonable. I normally have 70 psi in mine when towing but I'm also dealing with a 3300 lb pinweight.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:49 PM   #19
Montana_5273

M.O.C. #5273
I tried something different than the air bags on my F350 (no overload springs on it). It's called Timbren overloads. It was a very easy installation, remove jounce pads and replace with Tibren). The good thing about them is they are hollowed tubes of rubber (no air) that do not engage until the truck is loaded and the firmness is progressive which means they do not affect the unloaded ride quality.

Montana_5273 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 02:34 PM   #20
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
I have the Timbrens also, no hassel and they work great.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote