Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2005, 05:09 AM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
For you Non-SnowBirds....

Diary Of A Snow Shoveler

December 9: We woke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow covering every inch of the landscape. What a fantastic sight! Can there be a more lovely place in the Whole World? Moving north and spending the winter and not going south like so many of the MOCers was the best idea I've ever had. Shoveled snow for the first time in years and felt like a boy again. I did both our driveway and the sidewalks.
This afternoon the snow plow came along and covered up the sidewalks and closed in the driveway, so I got to shovel again. What a perfect life.

December 12: The sun has melted all our lovely snow. Such a disappointment. My neighbor, Bob, tells me not to worry, we'll definitely have a white Christmas. No snow on Christmas would be awful! Bob says we'll have so much snow by the end of winter, that I'll never want to see snow again. I don't think that's possible. Bob is such a nice man. I'm glad he's our neighbor.

December 14: Snow, lovely snow! 8" last night. The temperature dropped to -20. The cold makes everything sparkle so. The wind took my breath away, but I warmed up by shoveling the driveway and sidewalks. This is the life! The snowplow came back this afternoon and buried everything again. I didn't realize I would have to do quite this much shoveling, but I'll certainly get back in shape this way. I wish I wouldn't huff and puff so.

December 15: 20 inches forecast. Sold the wife's Honda and bought a 4x4 GMC Sierra 2500HD with the Duramax/Allison combo. Also bought 2 extra shovels and stocked the freezer. The wife wants a wood stove in case the electricity goes out. I think that's ridiculous after all we already have a generator out in the Monty. We aren't in Alaska you know.

December 16: Ice storm this morning. Fell on my butt on the ice in the driveway putting down salt. Hurt like hell. The wife laughed for an hour, which I think was very cruel.

December 17: Still way below freezing. Roads are too icy to go anywhere. Electricity was off for 5 hours and I can't get to the Monty as it is buried with drifting snow. I had to pile the blankets on to stay warm. Nothing to do but stare at the wife and try not to irritate her. Guess I shoulda bought the wood stove, but won't admit it to her. God I hate it when she's right. I can't believe I'm freezing to death in my own living room.

December 20: Electricity's back on, but had another 14" of the dang white stuff last night. More shoveling. Took all day. That dang snowplow came by twice. Tried to find a neighbor kid to shovel, but they said they're too busy playing hockey. I think they're lying. Called the only hardware store around to see about buying a snow blower and they're out. Might have another shipment in March. I think they're lying too. Bob says I have to shovel or the city will have it done and bill me. He's such a liar.

December 22: Bob was right about a white Christmas because 13 more inches of the white crap fell today, and it's so cold it probably won't melt till August. Took me 45 minutes to get all dressed up to go out to shovel and then I had to pee. By the time I got undressed, peed and dressed again. I was too tired to shovel. Tried to hire Bob who has a plow on his truck for the rest of the winter; but he says he's too busy. I think the a-hole is lying.

December 23: Only 2" of snow today. And it warmed up to 0. The wife wanted me to decorate the front of the house this morning. What is she...nuts??? Why didn't she tell me to do that a month ago? She says she did but I think she's dang well lying.

December 24: 6". Snow packed so hard by snowplow, I broke 2 of the shovels. Thought I was having a heart attack. If I ever catch the son of a B who drives that snowplow, I'll drag him through the snow by his ears. I know he hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shoveling and then he comes down the street at a 100 miles an hour and throws snow all over where I've just been! Tonight the wife wanted me to sing Christmas carols with her and open our presents, but I was busy watching for the snowplow.

December 25: Merry Christmas. 20 more inches of the blankety blank blank slop tonight. Snowed in. The idea of shoveling makes my blood boil. God I hate the snow! Then the snowplow driver came by asking for a donation and I hit him over the head with my only good shovel and broke it too.

December 26: Still snowed in. The wife wanted to move here? It was all HER idea. She's really getting on my nerves. Why oh why didn't I listen to Glenn and Lorraine and take the Monty to Florida for the winter.

December 28: Warmed up to above -50. Still snowed in. The Old Lady is really starting to drive me crazy!!!

December 29: 10 more inches. Bob says I have to shovel the snow off the roof or it could cave in. That's the silliest thing I ever heard. How dumb does he think I am?

December 30: Roof caved in. The snow plow driver is suing me for a million dollars for the concussion I gave him. The wife went home to her mother. 9 more inches predicted.

December 31: Set fire to what's left of the house and it spread to the Montana. Yeah well, No more shoveling.

January 5: 2 Men in white jackets stopped by. They think I'm crazy and want me to put on this funny jacket.

January 7: I feel sooooo good. I just love those little white pills they keep giving me. Why am I strapped to the bed? Why are the walls padded?

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:48 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Well, you never claimed to like snow, Glenn.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 11:39 AM   #3
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Glenn,
Been there and still doing it a few times every winter, even in sunny California.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 11:39 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Good timing Glenn, I was thinking about this piece (have seen it several times before) when I was out blowing the snow, another 4 to 7 last night. Al is at his mom's so it fell to me to get the snow monster machine out and run it around. Trying to keep the drive clean so we can get Montana out of here ASAP after the 25th! From the forecasts I am seeing it will NOT be melting before then!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 03:41 PM   #5
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
That's the result when you have too much of a good thing snow not!!!!!Merry Christmas
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 05:43 PM   #6
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Glenn, this is our first winter here in Montana. My sister had sent this to us, but we lived in So. California then. Now it all rings so true...Poor Paul, I went out and bought him a Husquavarna to blow the snow off both the circular driveways. The Monty is now parked beside the garage on one of the driveways. He said he is really happy about that because he only has to do one driveway now. Of course I got the one that I can't handle just so that I had an excuse for not being able to do it....LOL. Our neighbor came over and wanted to know if Paul was for hire...Thanks for the laughs. Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 01:43 AM   #7
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
First time I have seen it. It has been a while since I laughed that hard.
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 05:08 AM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
This a great piece! It has been around for a few years... always seems to surface about NOW!

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 07:19 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is sort of a nice day here today.It has not snowed today..yet..It is in the low double digits temperature wise and there is a unusual bright light in the sky. The local weather guy said it was the Sun. Tne really good news is that the private school I work for is on Holiday till the 4th of Jan..We are happy campers...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:55 AM   #10
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
you can almost predict the ending when you start to read it. Nobody that lives up here is that happy!!!!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 11:42 AM   #11
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
Thanks Glenn. It has been a couple of years since I read this screed and I still laugh. Of course that is probably because I just took my little white pills.

Dec 3: AM Finally blow out our 600 ft driveway and the walks around the house and the area around the garage and the Monty. Takes about 2 hrs.

Dec 3: PM Starts snowing and by morning of Dec 4 we have about 8 inches and more predicted.

Dec 6: I finally break down a blow again. Just as I finish it starts snowing again.

Dec 10: Oh well, it's time again. Two hrs later done, Hurray the sun is out.

Dec 17: Has snowed off and on for the past 4 days and I finally put in another 2 hrs of snow blowing. So far we have gotten about 18 inches, give or take a couple inches.

Dec 18: Up early and log on and later when check outside we have another 4 inches of snow. Snows off and on all day. Can't wait until the 28th when we start to head South, in the meantime where are my pills.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 01:23 PM   #12
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Here... more snow and close to zero weather so is not melting! Very cold for this time of year. Usually January is when we have this kind of weather. Had these cold temps for most of the month.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 06:00 PM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Dustytuu, I agree... VERY early for this kind of weather here in Mich this year also (ditto on the January-style weather). Bodes badly for the rest of the winter... Oh wait... I forgot... it's still Fall...
Old 12-19-2005, 04:04 AM   #14
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Brings back memories of 12 years in northern Indiana and working in downtown Chicago. After all these years I (Nancy) can still remember trying to get home one night when the wind chill was -65 and the trains were not running, the train station was full, and I had to wait OUTSIDE for long enough that my feet froze. I remember thawing out on the way home and the pain! Snow would keep falling and never melt, so it got higher and higher on the side of the driveway as it never got above freezing for months. Those memories make the rain and fog we deal with now in our southern Oregon "winter" seem like a vacation.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 04:55 AM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Nancy, I though the wind chill in Chicago was alwys -65.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:25 AM   #16
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
Oh boy! Here it is 12/23, 7 AM with a temp of 34 next to the Big Lake. Forecast is a high of 39. Schools closed because of freezing rain. Almost makes one like winter.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote