Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2005, 06:01 AM   #1
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
K & N Air Filter

The guy camping next to us last week was telling me about his improved Mileage(1.5mpg)when he installed the K&N air filter in his dodge diesel. I have a 2002 Duramax and request your coments on this air filter for my TV. Thanks in advance.

RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:27 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It helped in my Chevy silverado..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 07:43 AM   #3
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I have one but didn't notice that much change on the our GMC Duramax although, as Rich says, I believe it helps. Be aware if you get one the dealer won't touch it at service calls. You will have to do clean and re-oil yourself
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 09:09 AM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I installed one and have not noticed any difference in mileage either.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 10:03 AM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I do not have one and more than likely will not get one. I am too cautious about adding anything that "could" have potential for voiding my warranty. Plus this truck does really well on mileage and I do not seem to have a lack of power. I think I will leave it alone.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:00 AM   #6
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
My local mechanic (not a Ford dealer) told me to leave the K&N's alone. The reason being they are not as efficent at removing dirt as a standard filter.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:21 AM   #7
tollmann
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1824
I use one and to be honest about it I have not noticed a difference.
tollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:24 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
What Charlie says is true in many cases..Example..K&N does not make a filter for the 05 V-10.When I inquired as to why not they said that the OEM filter was as good as one K&N could make. All the manufactures have improved the filter efficiency in the last couple of years. However in my 96 Chevy silverado I noticed a increase in MPG with the K&N filter so I would not rush out and buy one till I checked the specs on the OEM in your TV.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 11:48 AM   #9
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
I also do not use an aftermarket air filter. I have seen the tests and the test results show the oem filter does a better job of filtering dirt and air. Don't waste the money especially the big air induction kits because it will decrease your power on the duramax. Source, DieselPower Magzine.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 12:31 PM   #10
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
One thing I forgot on my last post. Be very careful when reoiling the K&N. There have been some problems reported where excess oil from the filter was injested and caused fouling problems in the engine. In fact, I believe there is service bulletin out on this issue.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 12:30 AM   #11
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
The mass air flow sensor can get covered with oil and send false readings. It has yo be cleaned with denatured alcohol to fix.

I use an Amsoil filter and haven't noticed a difference in mileage. I did drill some holes in the airbox to let in more air. There was a lot of discussion on many sites and I believe it was found that the Amsoil filtered better than the K & N.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 04:08 AM   #12
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
I have a K&N in my 96 Dodge V10.
I dont know about the milage difference because it was in the truck when I bought it.
I do know that the filters are expensive. I think they were about 60 bucks.
The big advantage to the K&N is the ability to clean and reuse it instead of replacing the filter. I think if it is cleaned and re-oiled properly the filter would work just as well as the OEM filter. I know that all of the dirt track racers around here use the K&N. Im guessing because they would be changine regular filters every week if they didnt use the K&N.
Merv
Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:57 AM   #13
DavesDmax
Established Member

M.O.C. #3865
Speaking to you as a fellow Duramax owner. I would recommend staying with the AC OEM filter. There have been many tests by both perfomrance guys and just the anal types which have shown that the OEM filter provides more than adequate air flow for the Duramax engine, even with programming mods to 150 Hp. In addition, the oil used on the oiled type gauze or foam filters will coat the MAF sensor wire located just inboard of the air intake box. This will cause codes to be set and GM is not real friendly about replacing MAF sensors due to contamination from Oiled filters.

From the technical aspect, since the Durmax is a turbocharged diesel the intake plenum is always at a positive pressure. Also the diesels, by their nature run in an over air, or lean condition at all times. Plus you will note when you look at the intake plumbing, there is no throttle body or butterfly. These engines run an unthrottled air intake and controll power output by controlling the fuel to each cylinder.

Hope that helps.
DavesDmax is offline   Reply With Quote