Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2005, 03:35 PM   #21
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Any truck accessories store will be able to get the air bags. O- Reillys can order them and JC Whitney has them. Make sure to get the Firestone set up. You can get it with an onboard pump with guage. If you hook and unhook a lot probably wort the extra money. Pressure can be adjusted fron the cab or even on the go. There are other bags out that are lot less money. I do not recomend them. I have installed a bunch of the Firestone air Bag kits and so far every customer has raved on how well they work.
As for trucks go. I pull a Mountaineer 328RLS with a Ford F250SD with 6.0 PSD. I have to watch my speed because I forget it is back there.

trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 04:47 AM   #22
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
I wasn't going to respond to this topic but here I am; First I went from a 3500 to a 2500HD. Why because just like richfaa stated you need to do your home work. I thought I was doing good with the dually and for a time I was but then I checked the specs of the newer trucks on the market and for what I was towing (2005 327RKS TT) and what I was loading up when we traveled, the 2500HD was the ticket. No more buying 6 tires a pop at over $1200+, no more $200 a week fuel bill, easier to park, the wife is comfortable driving it etc etc. I look at the TV just as it it were any other tool being used to get a job done. Get and use the best tool for the job.

Something else to consider for those in Florida or traveling to Florida - recently, here in Florida the FHP and DOT have been having a field day with RV'ers and pickup truck drivers. First if you drive a truck rated at more than 8,500GVWR you need a different drivers license than the standard one. Second, if you are sagging or towing and do not have the proper driver's license (if stopped) expect FHP to call in the DOT with their portable scales and guess what comes next...YOU GOT...they weigh your rig. If you are over you drop it there. If you have the wrong license you are ticketed, if over weight you are ticketed. Yes, it is happening. My brother found out the hard way just outside of Gainesville FL on US27. He received 2 tickets. I found out the hard way too but was lucky no ticket, just a warning to get a new license to drive my 2500HD! So beware there are other reasons besides safety (which is most important) to have the right truck for the job.

By the way, the Florida Congress postponed further discussion on changing the law regarding driver license requirements with respect to pickup trucks until next year. So the law is still on the books and you can still be ticketed for the wrong class license and being over weight. Monthly, I call my State Representative (Bob Allen) to tell him to please work on getting things changed for the pickup truck drivers with trucks 2500 or bigger, its just not high on the priority list. FLDOT rules in Florida apply to all vehicles, not just the big rigs. There is an exception for motor homes.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 05:54 AM   #23
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Jeff,
That special license law must really confound U-Haul, Ryder, and even Home Depot, all of which rent medium duty trucks.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 06:19 AM   #24
Montana_4561
Established Member

M.O.C. #4561
I have never heard anything about having a special license for driving F-250/2500 truck unless you mean hauling something big like Dave mentioned if you drive Ryder or U-haul? I am sure other are curious about that too.
Montana_4561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:29 AM   #25
Montana_139
Montana Master

M.O.C. #139
Here is an interesting web site about tow weights and specifications.

http://www.klenger.net/arctic-fox/weight/index.html

Glenn
Montana_139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 06:07 PM   #26
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
In Florida there is a little known law regarding drivers licenses. Unfortunately it applies to everyone until the Florida Congress changes it. Here are the rules:

NonCommercial Driver Licenses
CLASS D: Any truck or truck tractor that has an actual weight, declared weight, or GVWR of 8,000 LBS or more but less than than 26,001 LBS. or is more than 80 inches wide.

A resident who holds a valid Florida chauffeur license may continue to operate vehicles for which a CLASS D driver license is required until the chauffeur license expires. This also includes farmers and emergency vehicle operators who are exempt.

CLASS E:
Motor vehicles less than 8,000 LBS.

A resident who holds a valid Florida operator license may continue to operate vehicles for which a CLASS E driver license is required, until the operator license expires.

16 year olds cannot drive from 11 PM to 6 AM unless accompanied by 21 year old licensed driver or driving to and from work.

17 year olds cannot drive from 1 AM to 5 AM unless accompanied by 21 year old licensed driver or driving to and from work.

And, if you get stopped in a Dodge 2500HD like I did in the state of Florida the Trooper will ask to see you CLASS D Drivers License.

Here's the web site http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/ddl/dlformats.html#non

Yeah its stupid and really sucks but for now it's the law.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Old 09-16-2005, 06:38 PM   #27
Montana_4561
Established Member

M.O.C. #4561
Does this law only apply for Fla resident? if so then this does not apply to me because my home state is PA.
Montana_4561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 07:42 PM   #28
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I can't believe the state known for snowbirds and tourism will keep out so many people. But it sounds as if it is only for people with a Florida license. Sure hope so, I want to go see my daughter.
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 03:37 AM   #29
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Jeff: You left out one line that may exempt pick-ups from that law:"...Drivers of recreational vehicles used for recreational purposes; or ..." If you have a 5th wheel or ball hitch it would probably be concluded that it is a "recreational vehicle."
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 03:04 PM   #30
cs413
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3354
On one of my previous posts I talked about the Florida DOT and declared weight on driver's licenses. To my surprise, I found out yesterday as of 7/1/05 class D was converted to class E. E now covers weights up to and including 26,000 lbs. (and after I went to all the trouble to get a D license for work.) Here is the website. http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/ Click on Driver's licenses and then License classifications/Endorsements.
cs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 03:34 AM   #31
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
cs413, thanks for the information. This is great news for Florida drivers. It is just amazing how as of last week my state representative – Bob Allen - who was supposedly on the committee to change the drivers’ licenses classification didn't even know of the change. At least his office in town didn’t know about it. They told us it was still being worked on. My brother and I have literally worked on getting this changed for the last 2 years. I find it just crazy that on one of the state web pages they still have the Class D listed and that one hand in the state Bureaucracy doesn’t know what the other hand is doing.

Thanks again for great news and I guess we won the battle.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Old 09-19-2005, 10:26 AM   #32
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
I agree - figure out what your maximums would be. Take a look at all the specs: trailer weight, gross weight, payload. But when you figure payload be sure to include not just pin weight, but ALL CARGO weight in the truck. This includes people, tools, hitch, etc. If you add up those extra you put in your truck, you will be surprised at how fast they add up.
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 06:22 PM   #33
cs413
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3354
Jeff - Bureaucracy is a wonderful thing, isn't it?! I just hope the DOT is on the right page when it comes to stopping people. I have not seen them out as much on the smaller highways so maybe they are concentrating more on the big trucks on the Interstates.
Well the important thing is everyone watch their weight and be safe -just be safe.
Take care,
Curt
cs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 04:29 PM   #34
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It's really not enough these days to automatically say 1 ton is more capable than 3/4 ton. That used to be pretty much universally true in terms of towing ability but not any more. Maybe it's still true within a specific brand but Ford this year changed the equation. For example, I went from a 2003 Ford F350 to a 2005 Ford F250. Folks right here on this forum asked me how come I "traded down." And that's the way it appears on the surface. Legitimate question.

Well, the truth is I "traded up.". My 2005 3/4 ton Ford has ratings (tow, gvwr, gcwr, and I think gawr but would have to check) higher than my 2003 1 ton Ford and higher than many of the 1 ton trucks being used to tow fifthwheels. That doesn't make any of them good or bad; it just says we can no longer automatically assume a 1 ton is more capable than a 3/4 ton.

By the way, I agree about the small price differential between 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, having had a 1999 and a 2003 F350 and had I been able to find an F350 with the equipment and colors I wanted when I was looking that's what I'd have bought. But Ford was selling these trucks so fast very few dealers had more than 1 or 2 on their lots. I was fortunate to find this 3/4 ton with the equipment and colors I wanted.

I also have to agree with Dave about airbags. There likely are situations where the bags are used to help a truck that is not really up to the job. I think that's what was referred to in the earlier post. But there are good reasons why they're valuable on a truck that's capable without them. In my case, our pinweight brought the tail of the truck down a little under two inches. I want my truck level. Thus the airbags. If this truck had the extra leaf in the rear springs avaialable in the Camper Package option then I'd not have had the sag nor the airbags. The truck would otherwise be identical. In my case, the airbags do what that extra leaf would have done. Our pinweight is 3300 lbs.

These are all just my opinions and may or may not have any value to anyone else. But I'm very pleased and comfortable with this 3/4 ton truck. Nobody else has to agree with me and that's fine. I smile at the job it does and have no concerns about its ability to continue safely towing this Montana.

In re-reading this I hope it doesn't come off wrong. I'm just trying to state my opinions.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 06:02 PM   #35
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
I have to agree with Steve. I have had numerous trucks over the years and the 2004 F250 is three or four times more truck than the 1970 F250. My first 5th wheel was 25' and weighed about 7,000Lbs. I had a 1996 Chev 1500 and it would pull the trailer ok. The 350 engine was a little weak on the steep grades and the gas milages was terrible, but with airbags I could get where I wanted to go. I bought the 04 F250 and it pulled that trailer up the steepest hills at 65 miles per hour and still had more to give. Hardly knew the trailer was back there. So we bought the 3280RL this spring and I was concerned the F250 wasn't going to be enough truck. Boy was I wrong. You know you are pulling something and now I can get 55 to 60 mph on those same hills with the same milage. The trailer pushes a little more on the down hill side but the truck can handle this trailer without a doubt and very safely. Its the driver that has to realize he is towing 6 tons behind him and needs to think farther ahead.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 03:35 AM   #36
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It's not fair to compare a 10 year old any truck to a new one.In fact it is not fair to compare a 1 or two year old truck with a new one. I too had 1996 Chevy 1/2 ton 350/3:73Diff with airbags that pulled a 7500 lb TT with some effort..I now have a 05 F350 SD that does not even know it is there.So what does that mean???Trucks improve every year..The specs on a 02 one ton or 3/4 ton any truck are lower than the new ones. That a 06 3/4 ton has higher ratings that a 03 one ton is no doubt true.. but is meaningless unless we are considering buying a used TV.We buy the Tv that meets our needs and they are many and varied.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 03:38 AM   #37
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Great post Steve and the exact reason I went from a 1 ton Chevy 3500 to a 2005 2500 Dodge. I did the numbers and found the 2500 to have more capability for what I needed than the 3500. So far, I am very pleased with my 2500 and unless something really changes I am sticking with it.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Old 09-21-2005, 07:00 PM   #38
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
So the bottom line is, "run the numbers" and do what you are comfortable with. That is what I also did, and I opted to switch to the 1-ton to ensure I mapped into the Ford manual's warning: "Exceeding any vehicle weight rating limitation could result in serious damage to the vehicle and/or personal injury". I easily exceeded payload capacity with the 3/4 ton, but not with the 1 ton. I have no idea whether I would ever be at risk legally by being over the documented payload maximum, but I didn't want to take any chances.

mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 11:05 AM   #39
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rich, I don't think any of us would argue your point and differently than you have but in order for that to be the case the post has to state whether it's comparing a single year or all years. In the absence of such statement I'll probably assume all years, just to be sure the bases are covered. You're right, though, that trucks improve all the time.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 12:33 PM   #40
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Unlike my wife who will not buy a Ford because she had a lemon Mustang one year and had a fit when I got the F-350. I have no preference when it comes to cars or trucks.Will buy whatever suits our needs at the time.In 05 the difference in specs in terms of towing between a F-250 and F-350 were not all that great. Our Truck rarely goes anywhere without the Camper behind it.Got it in March of 05 and it has 4045 miles on it and will probably not get another 100 miles on in till Spring so we just went with the biggest Ford truck we could afford. Execpt for the diesel and that's another story.I drive at least 50,000 diesel miles a year and if we drove our TV that many miles it would be a diesel. Oh.. Helen loves to drive the truck..But its a FORD I say..shut up.. she says...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote