Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2004, 12:56 AM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Tailgate

What's your opinion on the V-shaped tailgates? Should we put that item on our Christmas list to Santa? They're the ones that let your hitch/unhitch your fiver without lowering the tailgate and reduce the chance of damage if you forget to lower the original style. They probably have a more technical name.....

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 05:16 AM   #2
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We like ours. We tried three cheap ones and finely bit the bullet and paid for a good one. The cheap ones didn't fit well and would pop out on wash board roads that we drive a lot while hunting. Beats the hell out of tail lights and paint jobs. The new one fits tight with no rattles. They make hooking and unhooking easer. I don't think there is any improvement in mileage as they claim but have never checked. Very seldom use the original tail gate.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 06:07 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I never had a 5th wheel tailgate and have never had a problem hooking or unhooking. As everything else about hauling a 5er around putting the gate up or down has become a habit just like raising or lowering the front jacks and so on.

Also, and the main reason, As a fulltimer I have no where to store the OE tailgate. Not everyone buying a used 2500HD is going to use it for hauling a 5er and they quite possibly would want the standard gate that came with the truck.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 11:19 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We like our fifthwheel tailgate, too. The only real advantage is the one you described, not having to lower the tailgate. I did have to lower it once when the truck had to crest a little hill while pulling out from under. Ours has a couple of scrapes along its top from other episodes like that. But other than those three times we've not had to lower the tailgate. That covers 5 years with the same tailgate on three trucks. We sold the original tailgate. When we traded trucks (twice) the new truck's OEM tailgate fit on the old truck so they just had to paint it and we put the FW tailgate on the new truck. I suppose one of these days that won't work anymore.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 11:51 AM   #5
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I am very happy with our 5th wheel tailgate. However, if you still plug your cord into the plug at your lower hitch (trailer) be sure you have your cord short enough that it doesn't drag. I pulled our 5er for 3 years before I put the new tailgate on and didn't think about the extra length of the cord! Needless to say that after only about 20 miles of dragging on the road, it wears thru. With the installation of a new plug, my cord will not drag anymore. Also on a different note, I am pretty sure you will get better fuel mileage when you travel without your 5er attached.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 02:45 PM   #6
Montana_1683
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1683
One of the reasons for getting a Monty, is that there is plenty of room for hook up with tailgate down, thus eliminating the need of a v-gate. Haven't had any problem hooking & unhooking with gate down.

Gary
Montana_1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 07:51 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have the 5th wheel tailgate that I leave on from May till Oct and then put the original tailgate back on for winter. I only had to drop the fifth wheel tailgate once due to a slope from the pad to the road. I noticed while not towing I got 1 to 2 mpg better than I did with the original tailgate. I store the winter tailgate under a bed in my guest room for the summer and switch in the winter. The one I have is made by custom flow and has the latch to open and close. If I had to replace it, I would buy another in a second.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 12:43 AM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks for your replies. It sounds like a nice upgrade but doesn't seem to make much of a difference....as long as you remember to put the tailgate down!
Old 11-23-2004, 02:42 AM   #9
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
it's one of those things...how much would you use it? would it pay for itself...probably not unless you travel alot. although I usually buy things because I just want them instead of it being practical. previously when we didn't travel much I couldn't justify it...but almost bought it anyway. never did because we bought a custom pro-hauler body for the truck instead...go figure....alot more money than the tailgait!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 09:13 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Emmel, on our '99 truck I had the plug in the fenderwell in the bed. But in the '03 and the current truck the plug is below the bumper, so we have the same potential problem you mentioned. Our FW tailgate is louvered so I just use a ball bungee to hold the cord to the top rung of the tailgate. That prevents it from dragging and also eliminates the rubbing off of the tailgate paint with its movement.

Good post. I see lots of fifthwheel pigtails hanging down where they might catch on something. I first became 'aware' of this when we stopped years ago in a rest area ('95 truck at that time) and a trucker came over and pointed out how low it was. He even brought a bungee cord to help us out. Really a nice guy.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:22 PM   #11
Sunseekers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #710
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunseekers
Glen and Judy
There have been a lot of good suggestions listed and I totally agree that with caution the V tailgate is not needed. The talegate goes down before you hook up and closes when you can see that the hitch jaws are closed.(I painted my jaws white so I can see them)

We have a roll top cover that not only gives us a "trunk" but keeps the hitch out of the elements. The V tailgate would not work with a cover.
Sunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 04:02 AM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks, Sunseekers, for the idea of a roll top cover. I'm really looking for Christmas ideas and that might just be the gift hubby will really appreciate. Fortunately, he doesn't read the forum.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:32 PM   #13
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
... and, if you want more security for things in the bed of the truck, the factory tailgate allows you to install a "hard-cover". I installed the Advance folding hard cover. It folds in 4 at the front of the bed when towing, and when unhooked allows you to lock anything of value underneather the cover. They are a little pricier than soft-covers (about $600), but so far I'm extremeley happy with mine!
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 03:56 PM   #14
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
We originally purchased a Handy Industies LLC louvered V tailgate for our truck because the first 5er had a short goose neck and if the truck was not backed in straight the tailgate would hit the front of the trailer. So when the 5er accidently came unhitched it took off the tailgate. We purchased a new one of the same brand, had it painted to match our truck, and installed it. Everything went fine until the first time we pulled our 5er. We now have a "whistle" that is audible to passing vehicles. After several heated discussions with the factory rep. they agreed to replace the tailgate but would not pay for the painting. And admited that they had a problem with "whistles" and even sometimes a siren sound. We tried several suggestions but none worked. We finally duct taped the sides of the tailgate to the inside of the truck bed and it stopped. So we put weatherstrip on the edge of the gate and it's not as bad as it was but still does "whistle" from time to time. Kinda gettin' used to it now.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 04:49 AM   #15
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Nice wreath, TBHD. Thanks for the info, everyone. Guess we'll invest our $$ in something else, like a new generator.....
Old 11-27-2004, 07:13 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Tbhd, you said passing vehicles hear the whistle. Can you also hear it in the cab? I've never heard a whistle from ours nor has anyone ever mentioned a whistle. I have no idea what brand ours is. This is the second louvered tailgate we've had in almost ten years of use. This one we've had since 1999. No whistle that I've ever heard. I'm curious why yours whistles. I think I'll do a search and see if I can see what that brand looks like. Just curious.

---edited---
I found them at this url
http://www.handyindustries.com/tailgates.asp

There are two gates shown there. Which is yours? Both look like pretty standard FW tailgates. If yours was designed for your truck then I'm really curious why it whistles. We'll probably never know.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:06 AM   #17
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jrgwdenner

Thanks for your replies. It sounds like a nice upgrade but doesn't seem to make much of a difference....as long as you remember to put the tailgate down!
That's the key..remember to put the tailgate down!.
As we never had a 5er gate it was easy for us to get into the habit of always putting the tailgate down. In the past 13 plus months we have hooked up and unhooked well over 100 times. As I am the one to get the TV ready to hook up it is my responsibility to "put the tailgate down" and I can honestly say I have only forgotten once. That was on an unhook and I caught the mistake before any damage was done.
When the 5er is off the TV I have a soft tonneau cover. Having the OEM tailgate and the tonneau cover keeps everything out of the sun, out of the rain, out of the dust and most importantly out of sight.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 08:24 AM   #18
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Steve---We have the center latch tailgate and it's a mystery to us and Handy Industries also. Their statement was YES sometimes they whistle and YES we can hear it in the cab. Now we just try and make up songs to sing to our whistle . At least it only happens when we are towing. Solo no whistle. A friend of ours has a 02 Ford and has a Handy Tailgate and drove down a rough road and it fell off. They told him that he didn't have it installed right. Maybe not the best company to deal with?

Glenn---That's really nice having that cover because we like the out of sight out of mind protection it provides. We can't have a cover of any kind because we have a giant size tool box behind the cab. I have a electric mobility scooter that my husband takes apart and puts in there.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 11:53 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks for the reply. That's a really curious situation. I suppose it has something to do with the windflow ricocheting off the Montana. Really strange. I bet that whistle gets real old real fast. As for the one falling off, it's pretty hard to install those things incorrectly. On the Fords, you have to unlatch it then bring it down to a certain angle, lift off one side and slide it off the other. The only way I could see it coming off is if it was not latched on either top latch and it fell down and the wind caught it just right during the brief period of its fall where the right side can be slid off. Not likely. Not likely at all.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:25 PM   #20
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
As someone said Montana 5ers let you back up with the original tailgate down with no fear of hitting the trailer. I thought all 5ers were the same until I backed under a Newmar one day. Almost had a scratch and dent on the tailgate and the Newmar.

I still prefer the original tailgate as I have a Fold A Cover for the box of my truck. When Montys not on the cover locks the tailgate and hides the hitch etc.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote