Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
drurytr
Established Member

M.O.C. #13724
Lippert Level UP Remote Controler

I have a Big Sky Model 3582RL. In my front compartment on the driver side I have a circuit board monted on the back wall that is the that is the remote control controller for the remote that extends landing gear, turns flood light DS on/off, extends/retracts awning and extends/retracts the 3 slide-outs. The control board has 7 fuses coming off of it and I do not have any documentation as to what they are procecting. I contacted Lippet and they told me Keystone needed to reply. I have contacted Keystone and gotten no response, I contacted the dealer and they have not seen this configuration and really have not helped and the dealer told me a wiring diagram did not exist. My only way of finding out is to pull the fuses and see what does not work? I was hoping someone has had this issue already and my be able to help me discover what the fuses are for? tom

drurytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:57 AM   #2
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Does the board have a small black wire hanging from it. If it does, than that is the antenna for the remote and yes that board would control the remote.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:49 AM   #3
drurytr
Established Member

M.O.C. #13724
Yes you are correct; I have idendified the remote as model 252884 -
5 Function w/ Hydraulic Option Receiver. Off the remote there is a bundle of wires connecting varioius things and I have the fuses bundeled in the bundle of wires also. I am trying to figure what the fuses are protecting so if I every have a device quite working I will know there is a fuse there to check. My fuses are not identified. Thanks for the response I appreciate you help. If someone has not already had this experience I guess I will pull the fuses and see what does not work and then label the fuses. I am shocked I have to resort to this type of investigation.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by drurytr

I am shocked I have to resort to this type of investigation.
Any electrical investigation that is deemed necessary on our rigs should not be surprising since there are no diagrams, schematics, etc. for what anything and everything is! This is not a "shocking" revelation by any means! Wow, another pun! Sorry folks, couldn't help myself........again!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:37 AM   #5
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Hi Tom, Our 2013 BS 3582 was made in March 2013 and I assume similar or same as yours. I will try to find out at the Fall Rally from Keystone on the fuse issue you are asking about when they come around to our rigs for consultation period. You may get the answer sooner and if so please post. Tks. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:02 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Great idea Dennis! If you can get the answers please post it for those who need to know.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:22 AM   #7
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
How do the people doing the wiring know what wire goes where without some sort to diagram. Don't tell me they run one wire at a time.
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:48 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the 13 3402 Big Sky. That bundle of wires hanging there is disgraceful on this top of the line best you can buy Montana Big Sky...but.... all of my hanging wires are marked as to the function..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
drurytr
Established Member

M.O.C. #13724
Thanks for all the replys. I was supprised from a call from Keystone and we discusses this issue. The conversation went well and I lamented the lack of documentation and several week delay responding to my emails. I have a 5 function controller but my RV is not using all the functions. I think right now my controller is controlling 3 functions. My research did discover one of the fuses is for the flood light DS. I asume one fuse is for rooms in; one fuse for rooms out. One fuse for awning in; one for awning out; I think the other one is for landing gear down. ON the controller there are two terminals for each function; Keystone told me they switch power and becaue they use DC to reverse direction you reverse polarity on the DC Motor to revers direction. I need to prove my theory by pulling fuses and hope to do so soon. I will post my findings. BTW Keystone told me they do not have complete wiring digrams and IMO that is insane. Keystone also suggested the wiring diagrams was somewhat a secret so other can not steal ideas. I am not buying that excuse. What seems more reasonable to me is knowing documentation costs money and will increase cost of the RV and in a competive market Keystone makes to choice to cut documentation.

I also found out that a Trombetta is a special selonoid manufactured by Trombretta. Lippert makes reference to Trombetta in the drawings if you research the remote control, control board.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Liker I said mine is no secret as they are marked. Maybe I can pick up a buck by selling the markings to a SOB manufacturer.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:07 AM   #11
drurytr
Established Member

M.O.C. #13724
Well I spent some time checking things out; I have labeled my fuses now and know what the fuses are for and below is what I found:

Big SKY Model 3582RL
Lippert Components Remote Controller
Model 252884
PROBLEM: FUSES NOT IDENTIFIED
Comments: All functions from Lippert Remote Controller are connected directly to battery bypassing the battery switch with the exception of the awning. The awning is controlled by the Lippert Remote Controller but the battery switch must be on in order for the awning to function. Other functions of the Lippert Remote Controller are connected directly to the battery and will function with the batter switch turned off. I assume the Lippert Remote controller needs to have power supplied all the time to remember its drop off point but that is a guess.
The Lippert Remote Controller is located in the front right compartment of the fifth wheel when standing in front of the fifth wheel and facing the rear. It is the same compartment that the battery is located in and mounted on the back wall. There are 7 fuses hanging off the Lippert Remote controller bundled in wires. Various connections are made by crimp style closed end connector.
The Model 252884 Lippert Remote Controller is a 5 function controller. Along one side there are 9 screw terminals for 5 functions. The flood light is one function and only needs one terminal. The other 4 functions have two terminals. This configuration allows Lippert to supply signal to extend with one terminal or supply signal to retract with other terminal for each function. Function 1 and function 2 are tied together and operate the hydraulic front landing gear and room slides. Function 3 operates the awning in and out. Function 4 is not used. IN addition to the five functions Lippert supplies signal for an external switch and this switch is Slide Room switch in the electrical panel in the coach; so if the Slide Room switch is not working the fuse for this switch in located in the fuses by the Lippert Remote Controller. The function numbers and fuse numbers were assigned by me for discussion only.

Functions Terminals
1 Flood Light DS: has 15AMP automotive fuse , fuse 1 is housed in red rubber weather tight enclosure
2 Not used two terminals are skipped
3 Awning IN: with 15AMP automotive fuse , fuse 2 is housed in red rubber weather tight enclosure; Awning OUT: with 15AMP automotive fuse , fuse 3 is housed in red rubber weather tight enclosure.
4 Main Slide IN jumper to function 5 - shares fuse with function 5 Main Slide Out jumper to function 5 -shares fuse with function 5
5 Front Landing Jack UP 15AMP automotive fuse , fuse 4 is housed in red rubber weather tight enclosure; Front Landing Jack Down with 15AMP automotive fuse 5, fuse is housed in red rubber weather tight enclosure
FUSE 6: comes from the “External Switch” terminal and is located on the adjacent side to the function terminals of the Lippert Remote Controller; it protects the Slide Room Switch located in the electrical panel in the coach. Fuse 6 is a 15 Amp automotive fuse and is housed in red rubber weather tight enclosure;
FUSE 7: protects the Lipper Control Panel on the side of the RV. This is the same control board that has the Level UP Auto Level on the Driver side in front of the RV and is located behind it own door. This fuse is a 10 AMP fuse. Fuse 7 is housed in a smaller black rubber weather tight enclosure.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:11 AM   #12
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Thanks, Tom! That is good to know
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:40 PM   #13
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Not to make light of this thread, but Tom was told by K that diagrams are kind of a secret from competitors...Same must be true for the workers!!!!
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Mine are all marked. I am going to sell to the highest SOB bidder.