Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
Tko
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6130
Hydraulic lines

So, took my 2012 3750 to the dealer yesterday to fix a leaky fitting on a hydraulic line. Little did I know that the line attached to the leaky fitting runs the length of the entire unit (30+ feet)! They have to order a replacement from the factory - only good news is that it is a warranty repair. I can only imagine the cost of the new line plus the labor to drop the entire bottom to remove and replace. I can still use my Monty for our Thanksgiving trip to New Bern. Just need to keep an eye out for the hydraulic fluid level. Tried to pick up some fluid from my local hardware store - only sold in 2.5 gal size! I'll try an auto store, just looking for a quart. The dealer technician told me to use hydraulic fluid only. So, If I buy 2.5 gallons - I suppose I can part it out for a small nominal fee (FREE) if you are around my area in SC.

Tko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I am sure you can use the cheapest automatic transmission fluid you can find in the hydraulic system. Member MIMF used to work for the manufacturer and posted this information a long time ago. Here is one of many postings on this subject.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23358&SearchTerms=transmission,fl uid

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
The Montana has a Lippert hydraulic system. This is the entry in the manual:
"The Lippert Hydraulic Slideout System uses automatic transmission fluid (ATF).
Any ATF can be used. A full synthetic or synthetic blend works best such as
Dexron III or Mercon 5."
Page 7 in the manual:
http://www.lippertcomponents.com/ima...de-out-web.pdf

And this is Keystone's manual. Check the bottom of page 49:
http://www.keystonerv.com/media2/man...lide%20Out.pdf

We had a leak in one of the short runs at the end connector.

Dave
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Look up NCFISCHERS when you are in New Bern.

As for the line, your local Mack Beam shop can fit you out with a new line for not so much green...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Actually 30' of high pressure hose isn't all that bad as most implement dealers or truck repair houses will carry them ... free on warranty is always better. Keystone has to add on their take when getting one from the factory. A competent service mechanic will just use a union between the new and old hose and pull it thru that way as there are no cable ties in the underbelly (at least not on mine). Only the belly pan near the hydraulic cylinder will have to be dropped.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Dieselguy and I are trying to say the same thing...the line is not very expensive. It is just the problem of having the tools to crimp the fittings...and then looking at where the splice needs to be...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:10 AM   #7
Tko
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6130
Good information to know during the "AWE" phase of life (after warranty expires!). I'm not familiar with Mack Beam Shops. In true MOC fashion this is the place for MOC KNOWLEDGE...Happy Thanksgiving to the MOC Gang - Gobble til ya Wobble.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:24 AM   #8
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Tko, I'd have that tech that told you to use hydraulic fluid only, read the manual from Keystone. Find in the manual were it says that you need to use ATF and show it to him! He needs a little educating.

As I have said before, go down to your Walmart store and get their cheapest ATF on the shelf they have.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:27 AM   #9
Tko
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6130
MIMF - I pulled my manual out and sure enough - All Y'all (plural for Y'all) are spot on. I'll make it a point to tell the technician.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:29 AM   #10
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
My 2011 Big Sky 3580RL has the Lippert 6 Point Leveling System. The instructions say to check fluid level with all the slides in, I am going to assume that all six of the leveling jacks would also have to be in the up position. You know what they say about the word "assume" but I still use it.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by maximo

My 2011 Big Sky 3580RL has the Lippert 6 Point Leveling System. The instructions say to check fluid level with all the slides in, I am going to assume that all six of the leveling jacks would also have to be in the up position. You know what they say about the word "assume" but I still use it.

Frank
Frank, your assumption is correct. You always measure the hydraulic fluid levels with everything retracted just like when you measure the hydraulic fluid in the pump that runs your slides in and out. Slides must be retracted before you check levels. If you check levels with slides out and your leveling system leveled out you might be tempted to add fluid. DON'T DO IT! If you do add fluid, when you then retract everything you're going to have a mess.

Orv
I "assume" you know you have to be hooked to your tow vehicle in order to retract the front landing legs.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:14 PM   #12
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Maximo, you won't be able to retract all of the jacks. The 2 front landing gear legs may still be on the ground. But, with all of the rooms in and the 4 jacks around the axles up, you're going to come close.

If you want to get really accurate, check the fluid level when the unit is hooked up to the truck and the front landing gear is retracted.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote